+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Need help with new Server in General; ...
    hit
    Thank Post
    £2500 installation, I would ask them to tell you which boat they thought you got off of? I would go back to them with a plan from above, tell them what you expect them to do and renegotiate how much they are really going to charge for it.

The way I read it is you need to spend the cash before the new budget? I really would take the opportunity to buy bigger and DIY in your own time! As edutech4schools said im sure everyone here will help out if needed. Better satisfaction in the long run and will give you a better insight into the workings of ms server and you will be able to do it standing on your head the next time

Thank Post

New Server Setup

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I have some money left in the budget and I really want to buy a new server so I can upgrade to 2008R2. However, there is no way that I have the expertise to sort it out alone, especially being part-time and I wondered - a long shot I know - whether anyone knew someone down this way, or a small company, who would come and help me with it.
    My normal company is charging an astronomical amount as they insist on upgrading and imaging all my machines (most of which are W7, but some are XP and I really cant see why they cant just be joined to the new domain?) and I am not sure this is really necessary (unless someone can tell me different?)
    I have about £5500 for the server and install combined and it isnt enough. The worry is that I will NEVER have this amount of cash left in the future so I really need to do it now.

I currently have an HP Proliant ML150 G5 with 4GB RAM running 2003R2 and I am looking to go up to the best HP I can afford.
    Any advice - except the stuff saying "oh yeah, you can do it alone", gratefully received.
    Hi, I saw your request tonight and thought I maybe able to help, as I am always looking for extra work, although I would need more details.
    I manage and support 4 primary schools running win2003/2008R2 with a mix of win 7 and Win XP clients and have always arranged and purchased the hardware and installed the servers and network myself.
    If you are interested in using my services let me know and we can discuss over the phone or by email.

Regards

JATSO

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Thanks for all your comments, guys. The problem is that I don't know enough about the 'inner workings' of the server - what I know I have picked up along the way which means that if things go wrong, and they will, I have no idea of what to look for or where to go, google and edugeek notwithstanding! Good example of this was a recent thread about someone who was having problems with win 7 machines and a 2003 server - the answer was some setting that I had never heard of!
    And whilst someone who knows what they are doing might manage it in 3 hours a day, don't think I can. Part-time doesn't mean a whole day at a time unfortunately!
    The company who wanted to charge that amount of money were not just going to build a server, but flatten and reimage the whole network and all the machines as well. They don't really do straight instals and I don't know anyone around here who does.
    I know you probably think I am a wimp but I really don't have the guts to have a go myself. Got enough hassles in my life without making things worse! I just wish there was two of me...
    What I can foresee is a situation where I am left with a half-built server, which doesn't work, and noone to help me - remote support can only go so far....

Thank Post
    In terms of prices it might be worth asking the edugeek suppliers for some advise? I know @Millgate supplied us with a HP DL385 G7 not long ago for a very good price......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What I can foresee is a situation where I am left with a half-built server, which doesn't work, and noone to help me - remote support can only go so far....
    Easy for me to say I know, but you can always ask us! No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to this sort of thing, and SO much comes down to missing/learning/overlooking 'that one thing'... Plus I always remind myself that if I ask the 'stupid' question, someone searching in future might see it and benefit from the answers I get too.

It can be a pest but, although it's not what you wanted to hear, it is very do-able as hit said. If you come unstuck I'm CERTAIN we can fix it on here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    But that's the issue - you lot are lovely but the help isn't immediate and I can't spend weeks on this. Also sometimes things cant be fixed - whether it is because the solution is beyond my understanding or whether it is because I have failed to describe the problem properly I dont know

Thank Post
    Telephone support backed up by judicious use of teamviewer if needed

Thank Post
    PM waiting for you! ;o)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    I wouldn't go down the new domain route, it's not necessary. Install 2008 on the new server, dcpromo it, make it the operations master. You now have 2 DCs on your domain. Then migrate any shares from the old server to the new one and make sure that any software still works. Once it's all done, trash the old server and install 2008 on that and you then have a backup DC.

Your client machines shouldn't see any difference and no domain changes are necessary.
    having done a similar thing in a primary i think doing it this way would be better than doing a clean install if you are pushed for time (no need to create users etc)
    fresh installs do give a nice clean slate to work from mind

Thank Post
    PM sent with a fairly local contact who might well help!

Thank Post
    This is where being part-time and alone really kicks in
    Welcome to my life. At one point I looked after 13 schools so installing servers remotely was my only option. I now have 4 schools (larger) but still do it this way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Telephone support backed up by judicious use of teamviewer if needed
    the LEA recently turned the ports off allow teamviewer access here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Witch,

If you have no luck finding anyone to help I maybe able to pull myself out of some stuff for a couple of days and give you a hand sorting this out with you. You can take control and I can just guide you down the right route this way you get to actually do it yourself with someone to bounce things off.

Is it possible for you to maybe get access to the school on a weekend? if you do this then it would be much easier as i can just not plan anything that weekend and can just come and give you a hand.

Let me know if you want to have a chat,

As Plexer said this is pretty much the scenario you are looking at:

If they are allready on a working domain no need for a new one. Whoever does it should just add the new server as a domain controller and can then demote the other one if needed.
    ^James.

Thank Post
    also, if you get access at a weekend PM me, i would also like to pop over, mainly to learn, but to be a pair of semi skilled hands if required!

Thank Post
    PM Sent with some details of the firm I'd recommend ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast