+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Lenovo ThinkPad x130e in General; Are you willing to share where you purchased them from?...

Thank Post
    Are you willing to share where you purchased them from?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm curious - what charging trollies are best for these smaller devices and what security do people surround them with - do you engrave them, label or what?

Thank Post
    They should be available via your normal reseller(s).

There are many on here too; Millgate, CP Ltd, etc. to name a few.

They will need to contact Lenovo for special educational bids (which is apparently a bit of a nightmare for resellers, so quotes may vary slightly.)

Ours are due this week.

Thank Post
    Yeah, it's not a normal order through your resellers - ours came Airmailed straight from China. Would love to get them into the classrooms ASAP but imaging them is going to be a proper nightmare - the latest kernel in FOG does not play nicely with them! Will probably have to stick the SSDs in an AHCI compliant desktop (I know our Acer X270s work).

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Sensei (4th March 2012)

Thank Post
    We are currently evaluating the X130e. It seems nice but I'd really like to hear if anyone else has these units and how they have withstood being in students hands. The lenovo people can "demonstrate" ruggedness all day long, but I'd like to hear actual stories from people that have given these out to students or teachers. Have they withstood being dropped and man handled by kids well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cyr0n_k0r View Post
    We are currently evaluating the X130e. It seems nice but I'd really like to hear if anyone else has these units and how they have withstood being in students hands. The lenovo people can "demonstrate" ruggedness all day long, but I'd like to hear actual stories from people that have given these out to students or teachers. Have they withstood being dropped and man handled by kids well?
    probably still a bit early for users to give feedback considering they have only been in the UK market for a month.

I've not finished windows 7 deployment testing yet, so only been using them in our test lab for the past few weeks.

They don't claim to be totally indestructible, but besides dropping from a height, I would say that a user would have to intentionally damage it to break them

Thank Post
    Ours have been in use a couple of weeks now, by staff only as yet. Just building the student machines now.

They are seriously well built, they just look and feel tough. The case has no flex, the lid and base are very strong too. The island keyboard is a great size, and should be durable (at least more so than the old HPs we used). The screen is the same as on earlier models, so not the brightest; but clear, decent res and matt finish.

The performance is good. With cheap SSDs and 4GB in them, they run fine. The E-450 only gets 3.9 in the WEI (same as a Prescott P4), but it runs along fine for most tasks, and doesn't get hot in the casing. Battery life is very good. Plenty of ports, having HDMI has been very useful for some staff where the projectors have HDMI ports.

The standard Windows install is loaded with junk. As I've swapped to SSDs this isn't a problem - however, the default HDD is 7mm, so you must get a slim SSD or be prepared to split yours from its casing (eg a Kingtson V200 fits fine, a Crucial M4 needs to be modified).

I've haven't tried abusing them to see how tough they really are, I'm not that brave, but any more questions, please ask.

Thank Post
    I really want these but my resellers are still stating that they can only x120's
    Hopefully after easter they will be easier to get hold of as they look perfect for us.

Thank Post
    I had a demo with the AMD version and was impressed. Recessed ports, anti tamper keyboard (no more picked off keys) strong lid and hinges. (he stood on it!) The tablet was cool it had a dedicated educational market place that allowed you to deploy apps to a number of tablets. It was touch and stylus, and could also have a remote share to the windows network and supported proxied internet. couldn't tell me about remote printing though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Would love to get them into the classrooms ASAP but imaging them is going to be a proper nightmare - the latest kernel in FOG does not play nicely with them!
    We've just got 40 new X121e machines. They work with FOG okay, but if you're not booting the FOG kernel the PXE boot menu doesn't seem to transfer control back to the OS on the harddrive properly - the PXe boot menu comes up, waits 3 seconds, decides it's going to carry on booting from the harddrive, then promptly reboots and does it all again. It turns out they work fine if you don't set them to PXE boot by default, you just choose PXE boot from the boot menu by hitting F12 at startup. It's a bit fiddly but okay.

Thank Post
    Mine suffer from graphical wipeout when I boot to PXE (latest FOG, latest kernel plus loads of others), so I can't register them in the first place. It'll be painful, but I seem to have finally found a PC that will copy the image across and is compatible with the kernel etc. So it'll be a one by one job, but I can live with that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Mine suffer from graphical wipeout when I boot to PXE (latest FOG, latest kernel plus loads of others)
    Thinking about it, I think I might actually have a FOG kernel I compiled myself. This turns out to be dead simple - you just follow the instructions in the FOG documentation, it didn't even take that long, and copy the resultant kernel to the PXE boot folder when compiled.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12