+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dear Mr Cameron.... in General; Keynesian economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The government will more than recoup the money spent via taxes from additional ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keynesian economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The government will more than recoup the money spent via taxes from additional employment etc. To be honest, I think this is the first sensible decision taken by this government with regards to the deficit etc. - we need to be stimulating the economy, not choking it.

The problem is that large scale national economics is still an unsolved problem and no-one actually knows how to fix it/predict it after a couple hundreds years worth of data on the topic. All the more reason to spend the money on rebuilding the schools, stimulate the economy and train the economists to actually work this stuff out!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Who will really benefit from this new rail link? As far as I can see, only a small number of business people who travel between London & Birmingham.
    I have to ask, do you commute by train?

I've only started to appreciate the value of a link like this since starting to travel daily by train myself. During peak hours, our entire rail network simply isn't sufficient for the swarms of people who use it. If travel between London and Birmingham becomes easier, making living in Birmingham and working in London more palatable, and supports a substantially larger number of people it'll not only help those who already travel between the two - it'll also help those who travel from parts of the commuter belt as the strain is lifted slightly from the network.

It could also help to revitalise somewhere like Birmingham, as more people move there. Surrounding areas could be affected as well.

3. Thanks to jamesb from:

BenABF (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who will really benefit from this new rail link? As far as I can see, only a small number of business people who travel between London & Birmingham.
    Fine, only the rich get to use it (something which I'd contest anyway), but that means they're not on the other lines - increasing capacity there as well.

Thank Post
    Personally I think this is a great project, linking the major cities with a high speed rail link should allow business to be spread a bit more round the country rather being so London centric. I do have some reservations though about ticket pricing and also that it's bound to be a foreign company that wins the contract and all the materials will be imported rather than UK sourced.

As for BSF, we are well rid of that, it was an expensive ponzi scheme with the only winners being the consultants and financiers behind it. The schools built are generally pretty poor, which still leak the same as old buildings and actually have less space in them as the amount of space per pupil is calculated at a much lower level than old school buildings. Yes, some investment needs to be made into school buildings, but that is now being directed to individual schools on a case by case level, which is far cheaper and more effective.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWPS View Post
    Which government first proposed HS2?
    Labour

Thank Post
    The way to revitalise Birmingham & elsewhere is to create jobs where people work, not have people spend their time commuting long distances.....

If more jobs existed outside of London & the South East there would be less reason for people to commute. Also increasing rail & road network capacity to meet commuting demands means you end up with huge off-peak surplus capacity in your transport infrastructure.

I have done my share of commuting by road, rail & even for a while by air. There is no substitute for being able to work close to home.

8. Thanks to broc from:

SteveT (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    As for BSF, we are well rid of that, it was an expensive ponzi scheme with the only winners being the consultants and financiers behind it. The schools built are generally pretty poor, which still leak the same as old buildings and actually have less space in them as the amount of space per pupil is calculated at a much lower level than old school buildings. Yes, some investment needs to be made into school buildings, but that is now being directed to individual schools on a case by case level, which is far cheaper and more effective.
    I couldn't agree more....(& I have first hand knowledge of working in a BSF school) but if you looked at the estimated cost of BSF (£50billion or so) with some good management I might argue you could probably deliver the same number of new/refurbished schools for £30billion....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The way to revitalise Birmingham & elsewhere is to create jobs where people work, not have people spend their time commuting long distances.....

If more jobs existed outside of London & the South East there would be less reason for people to commute. Also increasing rail & road network capacity to meet commuting demands means you end up with huge off-peak surplus capacity in your transport infrastructure.

I have done my share of commuting by road, rail & even for a while by air. There is no substitute for being able to work close to home.
    Having had to commute, and worked close to home, I agree completely.

Unfortunately my co-workers, many of whom live in places at least as far from me as they are from the office, disagree with me about where we should move the company to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    32 Billion would pay off our national debt!!
    Here's an idea, ignore the idiots that are lib dems - they're oxygen thieves anyway.
    Brilliant idea!
    I'm sure we would have been much better with a purely conservative government. Not.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Yep - the driver's jobs should be especially good ones to create. Crow's already planning for them - First HS2 driversí strike scheduled for 2027
    He is the kind of idiot that does more damage than good to this country's infrastructure. He is the prime example of why striking should be done sparingly and not on a regular basis, especially not on the same days each year...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Brilliant idea!
    I'm sure we would have been much better with a purely conservative government. Not.
    Exactly, this is what annoys me when people slate the lib dems. If we'd had a pure Tory government they would have ramroaded things like the NHS bill through already without a second thought.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Exactly, this is what annoys me when people slate the lib dems. If we'd had a pure Tory government they would have ramroaded things like the NHS bill through already without a second thought.
    Instead they'll spend time arguing about it in parliament before eventually doing it anyway.

15. Thanks to LosOjos from:

JoeBloggs (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    He is the kind of idiot that does more damage than good to this country's infrastructure. He is the prime example of why striking should be done sparingly and not on a regular basis, especially not on the same days each year...
    That's not a real story... Not sure if you know that.

Also, best line of the entire thing:

[Bob Crow apparently] made some powerful noises as he lobbied his member.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Instead they'll spend time arguing about it in parliament before eventually doing it anyway.
    Yes, but as DrCheese just said they may well do it anyway but with some of the nasty sharp corners smoothed off a bit. Or sometimes, just sometimes, they stop altogether.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Well yeah it's likely going through anyway, but at least it'll be watered down. Would you prefer it have gone through unchecked?

Or sometimes, just sometimes, they stop altogether.
    This.. sometimes it gets bogged down so much it can't be done before the end of a parliament.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast