+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, ICT Out - Computing in! in General; BBC News - School ICT to be replaced by computer science programme Yippee Si...

Thank Post

ICT Out - Computing in!

Thank Post
    Time to dust off my NVQ 3 C programming notes

hit
    Thank Post
    "Instead of children bored out of their minds being taught how to use Word or Excel by bored teachers, we could have 11-year-olds able to write simple 2D computer animations,"
    Great, still not business use to be able to animate a game in flash, but it's definitely got to be an improvement to the current curriculum. Good IT teachers (Mrs HIT included) are already teaching some annimation programming (like flash, html, scratch) to students because the current curriculum is so dull!

Thank Post
    Fantastic step forward and about time!, although I will wait untill the details are released before I get too excited.

Thank Post
    We have been doing this for years now but there is always a problem recruiting the staff.

Thank Post
    "Instead of children bored out of their minds being taught how to use Word or Excel by bored teachers, we could have 11-year-olds able to write simple 2D computer animations," he will say.
    So are we talking Scratch here?

7. Thanks to JJonas from:

stevenlong1985 (11th January 2012)

rad
    Thank Post
    Speaking at the BETT show for educational technology in London
    Really, so when did the BETT show start... today I thought. Do they have press confrences on the Tuesday?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    We have been doing this for years now but there is always a problem recruiting the staff.
    Yep, it is hard/impossible to force staff to learn/teach a new computer science if they don't want too or not interested.

I think we are quite lucky here with the range of IT that gets taught. Older students (years 5 to 8) get a whole range of stuff including, robots, flow programming, VBA programming along with the usual Office apps and Media (Video,Music,Photo) work. While younger students (upto year 5) deal mostly with Basic Office apps and computer use.

Basic computer use is still important, i.e. file naming, organising folders etc.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 11th January 2012 at 09:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Really, so when did the BETT show start... today I thought. Do they have press confrences on the Tuesday?
    The full quote is "Speaking at the BETT show for educational technology in London, Mr Gove will announce plans" (emphasis mine) which is future tense; obviously he just put out a press release to announce the announcement. As you do in this modern marketing age.

I'm cautiously optimistic at the announcement, and pleasantly shocked, which is about the top of the scale when it comes to reactions-to-politicians for me these days. The only bit that concerns me is "The subject will be replaced by compulsory lessons in more rigorous computer science and programming" because that risks going too far the other way - capable kids are bored now because they can do so much more, but programming is not for everyone, and forcing it on some kids is going to disengage them because they can't cope.

Some parts need to be core, certainly, and an introduction to programming would be great as part of that, but making it compulsory for all is going to mean there is a lowest common denominator that has to be catered to and will still hold the best kids back in the majority of places.

12. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

BatchFile (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its all kind of a moot point anyway - academies can set their own curriculum. So, whatever the government says, academies can ignore.

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

BatchFile (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Although I agree a little bit of program knowledge is good, how many kids these days actually need to know this stuff compared to some one who uses office apps?

In my job I have done a bit of coding but because most of the work is done through GUI's then I have rarely needed to know, but even though I am IT Support I still end up having to use Office Apps often. In fact with more and more lessons becoming IT Based surely there is more need to learn word compared to programming?

Oh well if things change this way then I look forward to it being scrapped in two years time.

16. 2 Thanks to mthomas08:

dave.81 (11th January 2012), wesleyw (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing is, Office and the like will still be taught, regardless of whether it is in the curriculum as a discreet subject. It will simply get rolled into other areas such as English for word processing, Science for data logging/modelling in spreadsheets etc...

The point isn't about 'giving them business skills' here, they get them by doing a subject such as 'Business Studies' or through normal use of the software. It is about investing in our technology sectors in the country. High-Tech is a massively growing market, and as such it needs people to innovate, it needs new blood who know what they're doing. What better way of filling that need than by ensuring the children in our schools are getting a grounding in the relevant subject at an early age?

You don't have similar subjects in schools where you get taught other tools. There isn't a 'table top drill' curriculum, its included in DT. There isn't a ruler curriculum, it is just part of maths. ICT isn't a proper subject on its own in my view, but computing is.

The UK used to be the world leaders in computing. Everything from desktop machines to games were best from the UK. Now look at us. What game makers we have are mostly just offices of world (read USA) owned companies. Our hardware makers are box shifters.

18. Thanks to localzuk from:

simpsonj (12th January 2012)

Thank Post
    That's fine then, I was under the impression they were just totally scrapping it. Just thought it was crazy, I could write a long list of jobs (even teaching) that use word processing, powerpoints etc.

Thank Post
    I have to agree that this is too much the other way. We dropped computing from our curriculum 11 years ago as the students were not interested. I could list 5 kids max who are slightly interested in the coding the rest as long as they know how to "google" are happy. This will put even more students off it in the end. The teacher who helps our students do their UCAS app's is being told that Uni's prefer students who have not been taught any programming either.

We are in discussion about dropping IT GCSE completely and not teaching IT beyond the 3rd form.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast