+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Moving to new flat...tips for getting broadband asap? in General; Moving to a new flat next Saturday, and being a geek (plus I need it for work) I want broadband ...

Thank Post

Moving to new flat...tips for getting broadband asap?

Moving to a new flat next Saturday, and being a geek (plus I need it for work) I want broadband as soon as is humanly possible. We've been in contact with the current tenants a bit, and they are currently with Sky. I have the phone number and they are moving out this Saturday - presumably their Sky account will be cancelled from then.

I did think that would make it easy to go with Sky but from a bit of quick googling it sounds like it could still take weeks. But I am assuming that if the line is rented from Sky, it would take time and money to get it back to BT, and thus be able to use other providers? I am assuming that other ISPs only deal with BT lines?

Is there a way to check whether a phone number is Sky's or BT's?

And if it is Sky's, anyone done something similar and have any tips for getting it done as fast as possible?

Thank Post
    Doubt it'll make any difference wether or not go with Sky or BT or any other Local Local Provider - whatever the activation day they'll just go down and plug it in anyway. When the existing Sky line is disconnected, it's probably disconnected from Sky's kit at the BT exchange anyway.

Find yourself the best deal, order it, and get a 3G stick for the interim..

Thank Post
    Another one here for 3G, either Three or Vodafone for a decent connection.

Thank Post
    have a scan see if any of your new neighbours have an open wifi

rad
    Thank Post
    If you currently have an internet connection at your current flat, I am sure its easy for them to move the line across, nowadays most of the back end is done electronically, its only the wiring on the street the engineer does. When a friend moved, they had a BT engineer at their door on the day they moved in and it was a rented accomodation they moved from/to

Thank Post
    Only problem is the current one is Virgin cable! And new area isnt cabled

I'd prefer to go with another provider, used ADSL24 a while ago and they were great, but it's going to be hard to persuade flatmates to go with that when Sky is free for 6 months! So when the line is actually controlled by Sky (eg paying them rather than BT line rental) it's still converted back to a BT line when the account is closed?

Good shout on the dongle. Also there is a cafe across the road with free wi-fi so I should survive

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    When I moved into my new place it took 2 months for sky to remove the previous owners service...... I had no internet at home for 4 months, what with waiting for BT to pull their finger out and and sort my line out. Didn't bother me so much, but the Mrs went mental (well she was already mental, it tipped her a bit further).
    In fact thinking back, I don't remember a time when it didn't take weeks to get a new service. Tiscali was shocking. Pipex was pretty good, only two weeks but that was for business, and talk talk, don't even get me started.
    Problem is with my area is that virgin fibre only seems to be provided for the dole dossing chods.....
    Why the hell is sat broadband so expensive in this country??? My inolaws in Canada pay $20 a month for a 2mb synchronous sat service!!!
    I'll second the dongle, not much price dfference from a standard service, you can certainly acquire it quicker, and most are on a rolling one month contract.

DT (disliker of shoddy ISPs)

Thank Post
    I've just moved between 2 rented places, Sky cut me off in the morning of the move and would have reconnected me that afternoon if i'd given 10 days notice, as it was i had to wait 2 days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    When I moved into my new place it took 2 months for sky to remove the previous owners service...... I had no internet at home for 4 months, what with waiting for BT to pull their finger out and and sort my line out.
    We had the same thing - over 2 months without internet and phone because Sky wouldn't relinquish their hold over the line. And after over a month, the best BT would offer us was a Vodafone dongle - useful when the house is in an area with absolutely no Vodafone signal!!

Thank Post
    no help, but a little light humour...

Moving to new flat...tips for getting broadband asap?-moving.png

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

sidewinder (11th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are with anyone now, say you want to move it to your new address. They'll do it the day you move.

If a new customer, ring now and tell them as it can take weeks with any supplier. I would recommend BT and ask for the dongle (an additional 10) but the usage is capped at whatever your broadband is, so you can use it anywhere in three country and its tied to your home broadband

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    When I moved into my new place it took 2 months for sky to remove the previous owners service...... I had no internet at home for 4 months, what with waiting for BT to pull their finger out and and sort my line out. Didn't bother me so much, but the Mrs went mental (well she was already mental, it tipped her a bit further).
    In fact thinking back, I don't remember a time when it didn't take weeks to get a new service. Tiscali was shocking. Pipex was pretty good, only two weeks but that was for business, and talk talk, don't even get me started.
    Problem is with my area is that virgin fibre only seems to be provided for the dole dossing chods.....
    Why the hell is sat broadband so expensive in this country??? My inolaws in Canada pay $20 a month for a 2mb synchronous sat service!!!
    I'll second the dongle, not much price dfference from a standard service, you can certainly acquire it quicker, and most are on a rolling one month contract.

DT (disliker of shoddy ISPs)
    Funny you should say that! Pipex was taken over by tiscali and then by talk talk

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    Don't I know it

Thank Post
    The one thing I would say is AVOID SKY BROADBAND / PHONE LIKE IT'S THE PLAGUE ..

I went with them because on the all in deal with the TV (which on the TV side I can't really fault them) it worked out far cheaper than any other company.

1) it took them about 2 months to get the install done as they didn't believe that the phone line was active on their systems (previous owner was with BT, do you dial 150 and find out that you get the Sky customer services and dial 17070 and find the number is also different so ...)
    2) every time (and I mean every) they have done an upgrade to their service we've been cut off, only to be restored 2-3 days later having argued the point with them with a worse connection than we had previously (I mean I'm rural, so 2mb is a good connection, but at one stage their upgrade reduced that to 0.13mb - I could probably have done better on dialup) - this has been about 4 times with 1 of those times they actually managed to give our number to someone else completely ..! GAH...
    3) their customer service is shocking in that they don't really give a monkeys and it's only after you've spent a number of hours on the phone that you actually get put through to someone who has a vague knowledge about the internet and how it works and even then they can be a bit arsey about it. For 1 fault I had 8 engineer visits to get it resolved, each time the engineer (OpenReach) said "it's not our fault, Sky are capping it at source and we can't change that" or some similar thing that Sky were at fault ..

I could go on listing all the issues I've had in the 14 months I've had internet with them, but all I would say is avoid avoid avoid ..

People I've not had issues with in the past are Orange (though customer service is based somewhere with a script, but they get things sorted) and Demon Internet and BT Direct. Obviously there's Virgin, but you've already said that they're not cabled at your new place so there goes that idea ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage

Not the cheapest but so worth it. Never had a problem with the line, support was excellent when my modem died, speeds are fast and consistent and a truly unlimited connection. If they're doing maintenance, they let you know in advance. If the service goes down, they let you know by text message. Be are about as good as you can get for DSL in my experience!

17. Thanks to Norphy from:

nsherin (14th January 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast