+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Moving to new flat...tips for getting broadband asap? in General; The one thing I would say is AVOID SKY BROADBAND / PHONE LIKE IT'S THE PLAGUE My daughter moved recently ...

Thank Post
    The one thing I would say is AVOID SKY BROADBAND / PHONE LIKE IT'S THE PLAGUE

My daughter moved recently you would not believe how Sky messed her around. On my recommedation, she went to Plusnet and they were quick. When she introduced herself to the neighbours and said how her Ebay sideline was suffering, they gave her access to their wifi. The only place she could get a decent signal was the downstairs loo.

It might be worth introducing yourself to the neighbours, invite them in for coffee and then give them a sob-story.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    The one thing I would say is AVOID SKY BROADBAND / PHONE LIKE IT'S THE PLAGUE ...
    Wow, I have to admit I would be the complete opossite of that, I am with Sky with there all in package and find them very good when we moved and had any issues, I rung them up and told them when we were moving and to where etc, sent through the details and on the day of the move the interent got cut off and actiavted straight away, they even sent us an entire new kit for the Internet, As well as that they even activated the TV signal at the new house staright away, Very good I thought and they really were good

Again, I don't think I have had a singal issue with there service (TV, Phone or Internet) and there customer service in my opinion. That is all my opionion of them but I really do think they are one of the best companies going, However on the other hand AOL is just awful entirely including there non UK / English Speaking Customer Service Team, That is an entirely diffrent story all together.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm a new Sky customer after being with VM for my whole internet life since Dial-up.

They got me connected on the day they said and been fine since. Not the fastest but I'm pretty far from the exchange but it's stable. I went for the whole phone, broadband, TV package.

Thank Post
    That's fair enough, if you've both had a good experience then that's great, it's like any company I guess, but I have to say, I've spoken to quite a few people who have Sky Broadband and you're both in the minority of thinking they're good .. but there we go .. it's one of those things ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I recommend be unlimited also make sure you get some of these XF-1e - Professional Microfilter - adslnation.com

Thank Post
    If you get the Post Office Broadband to take over the current tents line, you can then swap straight away to any other provider as youíre not tied into any 12/18 month contracts. This was brilliant when I moved into my first house and didnít already have a provider but had to have a BT line in order to take up the offer I wanted at the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    I'm a new Sky customer after being with VM for my whole internet life since Dial-up.

They got me connected on the day they said and been fine since. Not the fastest but I'm pretty far from the exchange but it's stable. I went for the whole phone, broadband, TV package.
    Me too - moved from Virgin - had a couple of issues sorted out very quickly. They've been great

Thank Post
    I've ben with Force9 (Plusnet) for years now. The service is excellent, their tech support is superb (although I've only ever needed it twice). The customer service people are very friendly and helpful. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Thank Post
    recently moved house had massive 4 month headache with sky/ BT/ talktalk, before trying plus net and they had it working within 2 weeks and the connection fee was cheaper than the rest and good quidco cashback, £40 i believe.

EDIT: just wanted to add we were with Sky at our last place and had no problems at all, decent speeds never lost connection in 2 years, great value when combined with phone and tv, i personally think all internet problems stem back to BT, words cannot express how much I hate that company.
    Last edited by denzal2k4; 11th January 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Thank Post
    My advice? If it has a BT line in, plug a handset in and check it's operational. Phone BT, request connection if needed, and don't be fobbed off - I've been fobbed off in most of our rentals, everything from "you need a new line" (no I don't), to "it doesn't show on our system".

If they ask about the line/wiring state, tell them it's fine. I've only found 1 BT guy who was not military about me doing my own wiring..he was good. "What state is the wiring in?".."well, it's on the floor at the moment, I'm ripping it all out back to the incoming 2 wire line box and starting again with proper NTE5's etc".."oh, fair enough - I'll put "excellent" there then..".

If they insist on playing silly, or threaten a reconnect fee Google is your friend...I found a way to get into the exchange automated test system via handset on a deactivated but live line, and presented them with the virtual circuit ID, last known number etc...that surprised them..heh. "Oh, yes..we can see it now..."..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Moving to a new flat next Saturday, and being a geek (plus I need it for work) I want broadband as soon as is humanly possible. We've been in contact with the current tenants a bit, and they are currently with Sky. I have the phone number and they are moving out this Saturday - presumably their Sky account will be cancelled from then.

I did think that would make it easy to go with Sky but from a bit of quick googling it sounds like it could still take weeks. But I am assuming that if the line is rented from Sky, it would take time and money to get it back to BT, and thus be able to use other providers? I am assuming that other ISPs only deal with BT lines?

Is there a way to check whether a phone number is Sky's or BT's?

And if it is Sky's, anyone done something similar and have any tips for getting it done as fast as possible?
    In my old house I had phone provided by BT and broadband provided by IDNet. We moved house and had arranged with BT for them to move the phone number. A week before move, we got an email from BT saying "There's a problem, call this number." We spent a week phoning the number which was always engaged.

At 4pm on Friday afternoon I phoned IDNet and explained the problem. They suggested I switch the phones from BT to them. The phone line was live on the Monday morning, and although the broadband was supposed to be live a week later, it was working on Friday morning.

So - that's my tale of getting broadband ASAP. IDNet are super.

Thank Post
    +1 for Sky, even tweaked my connection via email when i had apparent slow downs, was boosted from 3mb to 7mb never had an issue with them. will never go back to virgin, terrible company and even worse support.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The two best isps I've ever had are: currently UKFSN and previously Zen Internet. They cost more but service is ultra reliable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd go with virgin having had experience with Sky and im now with virgin just don't go for the low rates as they suck with very low data caps, around 1.5GB over a several hour period download qualifies you to a 75% speed cut, its a way to make you upgrade really as I did last week but im loving the 30MB connection for £15 a month with a much higher evening data cap of 10GB and im seeing 4-5MBs when downloading on steam with other computers on the network using skype and online games at the same time.

I've ran the ookla speed tests several times of a morning eveninig and night with no real noticable difference, ping tends to be 25ms highest I had was 30, downloads never dipped below 30MBs often above and upload has never dropped below 3MBs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    currently UKFSN
    We are with them as well, have been very impressed - plus only a one month contract

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast