Poll: Should I just sell everything and get a laptop?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Downgrading? in General; For a variety of reasons I'm looking at downgrading my setup at home. At present I have the following: P4 ...
    richard

Downgrading?

For a variety of reasons I'm looking at downgrading my setup at home. At present I have the following:

P4 3.0GHz, 2gig RAM, 256MB graphics, 120gig & 320gig SATA drives, 2*17" TFT monitors

1.25 GHz Mac Mini 512MB RAM 100gig HDD mainly used a a multimedia jukebox

ACER Aspire 1642WLMi Laptop 1.73GHz Pentium M, 1gig DDR2 ram 100gig HDD. This will only run Linux as there is a problem with the motherboard that causes it to overheat and crash when using Windows.

HP Deskjet 6127 Network printer

Canon N670U Scanner

To be honest all I really need at home is a laptop as I'm trying not to do too much work at home and all I want to do is surf the net, chat to friends, do a bit of photo editing and play the odd game. The only games I tend to play are Neverwinter Nights, Dawn of War and Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars.

The only thing I have against me is budget I'm only able to afford about £500 maybe £600 at a push as most of this money will come from the sale of my existing kit.

If any of you have any comments or ideas on what to buy I'd like to here them.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Re: Downgrading?

laptops are crap, what's wrong with just keeping the main machine for games etc and selling the rest and then getting a very very cheap low powered laptop for sitting in the sun surfing the net. I have a similar setup, but with 2 laptops, (a 1GHz VIA and a 300MHz w/ a cutdown WinXP - i refuse to throw it out whilst it still works )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I'd keep the p4 and sell the rest, then go to the pub with your profit.

richard

There are a few reasons: One is space, at present I share a house and my setup takes up a fair bit of space in my room. Another reason is one of finance. I need to raise some cash due to my ex being an absolute pain.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

why are you giving money to your ex?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I'd keep the p4 and sell the rest, then go to the pub with your profit.
    I agree, and don't forget to invite your Edugeek buddies too. [ Even the one who caused a bit of a problem the other week.... ? ]

richard

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    Child Support the CSA screwed up

richard

A laptop is also easier take with you when you move.

Thank Post

I got an IBM Thinkpad T41 with a gig of ram in it from ebay for 300 quid inc PnP. It's a refurb but it's bloody awesome. Best laptop i've ever had!!

I've put the 120 gig HDD in it from my old laptop aswell and it's just brilliant.

1.7GHz processor or something like that i think. Also...it's only an inch thick and is rather compact so great for carting places. I've been known to take it to the CCNA lab at uni to test out ACLs during lab sessions by setting up various servers on it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    Child Support the CSA screwed up
    Don't they always. :-(

Huge sympathy, try not to let it get to you too much.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    I got an IBM Thinkpad T41 with a gig of ram in it from ebay for 300 quid inc PnP. It's a refurb but it's bloody awesome. Best laptop i've ever had!!

I've put the 120 gig HDD in it from my old laptop aswell and it's just brilliant.

1.7GHz processor or something like that i think. Also...it's only an inch thick and is rather compact so great for carting places. I've been known to take it to the CCNA lab at uni to test out ACLs during lab sessions by setting up various servers on it.
    I had thought about a refurb but I have Vista Ultimate and would like to put that on the laptop at some point.

Thank Post

You can get refurb machines that'll run vista i'm sure. Or you could upgrade one.

richard

I know i could probably upgrade one but i would like to get the best i can as it will have have to last me a while

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information