+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Home delivered fruit/veg in General; ...

Thank Post

Home delivered fruit/veg

After hearing good things about a small local company that do weekly fruit & veg delivery to your door, me & the missus have decided to give it a go in the hope of increasing our fruit/veg intake. First impressions from looking at what you get on their website seem promising. The first box is half price so we thought we'd give a Family fruit & veg pack ago once a fortnight. For £7.50 (Normally £15), you get the following:

Washed Potatoes
    Mid Potatoes
    Swede
    Loose Carrots
    Washed Parsnips
    Onions
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Hispi Cabbage
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    Tomatoes
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Red Pepper
    Baby Leaf Salad
    Leek
    Cup Mushrooms
    Royal Gala Apples
    Russet Apples
    Orange
    Clementines
    Kiwi Fruit
    Bananas
    Conference Pears

Not sure about the quantities but I've heard they are rather generous (potatoes may come by the Kg, large colli/Broccli heads etc). The selection also changes weekly based on season and what's avaiable. The first box arrives on Thurs and am quite excited about it.

Does anyone else use such a service? How have you found the selection/quality/value for money?
    Last edited by Rawns; 10th January 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Yep, we use Riverford for our Vegboxes/fruitboxes. Bifferent sizes depending on needs - right now we're on the mini box. Standard Veg in there - carrot, swede, spuds, cabbage, cauli etc, sometimes you get jerusalem artichokes and suchlike - it varies.

Love it. Always got fresh Veg etc to hand, and what we don't use in a week goes to the rabbit/guinea pig, so there's no waste. Fruit boxes are much loved by the daughter.."OOH! 'NANAS!!", etc.

I find them damn handy at christmas, we order all the family veg for MIL etc through them and take it down.

Missus is also trying the "Well Hung Meat Company"'s meatbox...we'll see how that goes. It's the sheer comedy value of the missus opening the door and asking the guy "ah, are you well hung?"..cracks us both up.

3. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

Rawns (10th January 2012)

Thank Post
    My mrs signed up to something like that then immediatly cancelled as the costs soared after the first box... think it was weekly rather than fortnightly though. The stuff they delivered looked pretty good although we didn't eat it as we were expecting them to want it back - they delivered 3 boxes despite several phone calls

Just a thought - would most veg last a fortnight?

5. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post

Missus is also trying the "Well Hung Meat Company"'s meatbox...we'll see how that goes. It's the sheer comedy value of the missus opening the door and asking the guy "ah, are you well hung?"..cracks us both up.

My missus went into machine mart to get some Penetrating oil (for the seized lawn mower.) The young assistant was like a rabbit in the headlights!
    I used to get the veg here but stopped last year as it seemed a little expensive. We only got a quarter of what you get for £15

7. Thanks to NikChillin from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    My mrs signed up to something like that then immediatly cancelled as the costs soared after the first box... think it was weekly rather than fortnightly though. The stuff they delivered looked pretty good although we didn't eat it as we were expecting them to want it back - they delivered 3 boxes despite several phone calls

I guess it depends what veg it is and how it's stored. As there of two of us, it's the best sized box. And then when it does start to go a bit, we can make veg soup.

There is no fixed contract, so it can be cancelled at any time. Two boxes in a month will give us enough time to assess how the produce lasts, how much is used and see if it's value for money. Not sure about other sites, but Cossey Produce - trade and home deliveries of fruit and veg work out the cost of the same amount of produce form the 4 big supermarkets so you can see how much you have actually saved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Most veg will last that long but it looses quality, it is better to get frozen veg or only small quantities if you don't use much.

10. Thanks to NikChillin from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post

My missus went into machine mart to get some Penetrating oil (for the seized lawn mower.) The young assistant was like a rabbit in the headlights!
    I used to get the veg here but stopped last year as it seemed a little expensive. We only got a quarter of what you get for £15
    <digression> My Dad got into wood turning late last year. Didn't bat an eyelid when I got him a book called 'The Good Wood guide' for Christmas. Everybody but the parents had a good smirk.

12. Thanks to mats from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread