General Chat Thread, Two Android Questions in General; 1. Is it recommended to get an AV App for Android?
2. Is there any way to remove the apps ...
9th January 2012, 11:30 AM #1
Two Android Questions
1. Is it recommended to get an AV App for Android?
2. Is there any way to remove the apps that come preloaded on an HTC phone, like Peep?
9th January 2012, 11:33 AM #2
1. I've never had any issues without one.
2. Generally it's bloatware provided by the network, rooting is the only way on some devices. Cyanogen mod is a very well built ROM, and much better than stock ROMs.
P.s. on the topic of bloatware, Orange are possibly the worst network for it...
9th January 2012, 11:36 AM #3
If you've got root on the stock rom, Titanium backup can freeze or remove system apps like bloatware without a custom rom.
And yes, some kind of AV is always a good idea...
9th January 2012, 11:38 AM #4
1. Im running Antivirus Free its never found anything and I dont think there is much of a virus problem on Android at the moment.
2. You will need root access. Titanium Backup has the ability to remove system apps like Peep, but take a full backup first.
-Edit- Domino beat me to it.
9th January 2012, 12:10 PM #5
1) Yes good idea to have AV, even if just to make sure you aren't passing on malware to other people. I use Lookout which has other handy features like locating your phone if lost or stolen (or locating your missus after a night out and she can't describe where she is to be picked up )
2) Thanks for the suggestions above, there's a ton of cruft I want to get off my phone and free up some space.
9th January 2012, 12:19 PM #6
I have nothing useful to add, however to lighten the mood for some of the geeks here on a monday morning.
I was dissapointed to not be able to answer this thread with "These are not the droids we're looking for"
Thanks to synaesthesia from:
Rawns (10th January 2012)
9th January 2012, 12:24 PM #7
I use Avira Antivirus which has never picked anything up but at the same time it doesnt seem to make any difference to my battery useage and it comes with the anti theft tools aswell.
9th January 2012, 12:35 PM #8
There is an escalating malware problem on Android unfortunately (the downside to having a "free" market) so antivirus is definitely worth having. I used Lookout [before I broke my phone ] and it was great but I did notice that some of the features it had when I first started using it 18 months ago are now premium [i.e. paid] version only, so might be worth looking out for that [sorry for the poor pun]
Interesting related article: http://betanews.com/2011/11/17/malwa...ut-of-control/
By teejay in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 7th September 2010, 11:24 AM
By russdev in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 5th July 2010, 09:09 AM
By HMCTech in forum Windows
Last Post: 21st November 2008, 01:31 PM
By indiegirl in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 18th May 2006, 04:46 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)