+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Recommend me a smartphone for 2012 in General; Well it's that time - phone contract due for upgrade on the 18th February, so trying to decide what to ...

Thank Post

Recommend me a smartphone for 2012

Well it's that time - phone contract due for upgrade on the 18th February, so trying to decide what to get.

I have used iPhones (3G then 3GS) for the last 3.5 years, but am underwhelmed by the features of the new 4S and finding it hard to justify the price.

I've been playing with Android on an unlocked Orange San Francisco II with a 2.3 vanilla ROM for a few weeks and I think Android is the way I want to go.

So, what handsets do the EduGeek gang recommend?

I'm looking for something for the usual apps, e-mail, Internet, Facebook that sort of thing. Looking for decent performance, not too big (4.5" screen seems stupidly big coming from an iPhone) and Android without too much bloat or manufacturer crapware.

Any suggestions for what's good?

Cheers :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Samsung Galaxy S2 - would be my choice have had Google Nexus one and HTC desire Hd but the range of HTC's out atm are underwhelming aswell.

Thank Post
    Anything thats powerd by Windows Phone 7.....why??

1. You get your choice of hardware - no one size fits all iPhone - want a big screen get the HTC Titan, want style get a Nokia Lumina want a keyboard get a HTC 7 Pro.
    2. You will get every software update - no waiting for news on blog sites about when your Android phone will or wont get the latest software
    3. If you have anything to do with Microsoft Exchange, Windows Live (Mail/SkyDrive), Xbox Live, Facebook, Twitter and lots of other online services this was the phone built to get the best out of them right out of the box.
    4. The app store isn't as bad as people say, all the big names are in there and you get the assurance that unlike Android new applications won't crash your phone.
    5. You can get them at almost any price point - on contract from ~£20 or you can even pick some phones up on PAYG for £150!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Anything thats powerd by Windows Phone 7.....why??

1. You get your choice of hardware - no one size fits all iPhone - want a big screen get the HTC Titan, want style get a Nokia Lumina want a keyboard get a HTC 7 Pro.
    2. You will get every software update - no waiting for news on blog sites about when your Android phone will or wont get the latest software
    3. If you have anything to do with Microsoft Exchange, Windows Live (Mail/SkyDrive), Xbox Live, Facebook, Twitter and lots of other online services this was the phone built to get the best out of them right out of the box.
    4. The app store isn't as bad as people say, all the big names are in there and you get the assurance that unlike Android new applications won't crash your phone.
    5. You can get them at almost any price point - on contract from ~£20 or you can even pick some phones up on PAYG for £150!
    I have to agree here, WinPho7.5 is very nice and smooth as well aged alchohol. Its task based mentality really works for the majority of tasks, my mother has one and it is the easiest/quickest thing since early nokia while sill including all the smartphone features. The app store is still (I hate to admit it) more limited by the API and dev comunity but the apps are massively stable. The hardware to be honest is still quite limited in comparison but the OS (strangly) is massvely optimised and efficient in comparison with no silly marketing based margins on abilitiy (Siri). You'll enjoy the speed and responcivenes of WP7 but it is still a bit limited.

Saying all of this my next phone will be a WP7 device, the big thing for me will be if launch devices get Apolo (WP8) if it does I see major mileage in the platform as WP8 will be close to the Windows 8 codebase which opens up so much software the platform would be hard ignore. I am looking pointedly at CES (a week away I think) this year to see if there are any early developments in the platform.

In conclusion if going for WP7 your still kind of getting the platform while it is young but there is some massive potential along with some quite well implemented UI. As much as I hate to say it WP7+ is really good for the majority of users but a bit of an investment for the future platform wise when it comes to some features. A good investment, yes, but an investment none the less.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 8th January 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Highly recommend WP7, had a HTC HD7 since launch in October last year (2010), and not looked back. Did miss some features, but they came along when Mango came out.

Only thing I really miss, that I had on my HTC HD (WinMob) was a proper GPS program with maps stored on the phone not in the cloud (can't really use SatNav with Cloud maps when you only get 'G' speeds, no 3G, no Edge, no HSDPA, just GPRS)

It's really smooth, even on old hardware like the HD7, I've even read it works on the HD2 (old WinMob phone).

There's a really good remote desktop app as well, so I don't even need to carry my tablet around with me anymore, need something done on a server, done in a few clicks on my phone.

It's just sad that the phone companies are touting Android, which requires 5x the hardware just to run.

Some Links:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    There's a really good remote desktop app as well, so I don't even need to carry my tablet around with me anymore, need something done on a server, done in a few clicks on my phone.
    What app is that @nickbro out of interest?

Thank Post

8. 2 Thanks to nickbro:

john (8th January 2012), SYNACK (8th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If only VodaRipoff here were so cost effecive, I'd buy two just to have a backup and it would still be cheaper (saying that I'm still going for a WP7 Phone) despite the cost it is a decent no-noncense platform that gets stuff done.

Thank Post
    I'm with O2, they are a bit expensive, but I've been with 'em since they were BT Cellnet

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

However, I'm pretty set on it being Android if not the iPhone. I just don't like the look of Windows Phone I'm afraid!

Any Android suggestions out there - my wife has a Desire which made me consider HTC, but their range is pretty uninspiring at the moment, as @glennda said!

Cheers

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Ace. Seems to be OK to me. But then I am not 'stressing' it too much. To me a phone is a phone.

This was a gift for Christmas.

Thank Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, really is a lovely phone and can be had for free on a pretty cheap contract (phones4u do some really good deals on it). Up from that is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the newer version of Android, although this will be coming to the S2 in the not too distant future.

Thank Post
    i had iphones for a wile up until last week, HTC desire was the way for me. i always though android would feel glitchy compared to the smoothness of the iphone but i was wrong! its not all that bad

Thank Post
    The Samsung Galaxy S3 is predicted for release at February's Mobile World Congress, and should be available in the UK by April, if you can hold out.
    If not, the Galaxy S2 still scores very highy, as does the HTC Sensation XL and Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which has the advantage of having Android 4).
    I expect there will be a few other big announcements in Q1 2012 too though...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread