+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, University courses in General; Thinking about doing a course in computing at University for start in 2013. Looking for something in network management / ...
    Thank Post

University courses

Thinking about doing a course in computing at University for start in 2013. Looking for something in network management / infrastructure can anyone recommend any good courses?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    My nephew is doing 'computer and network engineering' at Sheffield Uni - he has chosen the networking aspects and seems to think it is very good!

Thank Post
    Staffordshire (not a very good university for CS, based on the Guardian):
    EDIT: Link no longer works, but you'll be able to find it if you look on their website.

Bedfordshire (not a very good university for CS, based on the Guardian):
    Network Management - beds.ac.uk

Bournemouth (quite good, based on the Guardian):
    Course Search - Bournemouth University

I have these links from when I was looking for a course before (network management). Also, I believe Southampton Solant (not a good university, based on the Guardian),Sunderland (I can't remember how well ranked they were) and London South Bank (I can't remember how well ranked they were) do them as well.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanks alot the Bedfordshire one looks good at a quick glance. Ill take another look in the morning but for now sleep is calling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdench View Post
    Thanks alot the Bedfordshire one looks good at a quick glance. Ill take another look in the morning but for now sleep is calling
    No problem. Also, I noticed the link to the Bournemouth course was broken, here's the link:
    Network Systems Management BSc (Hons) - Bournemouth University

I'd very much recommend Bournemouth over Bedfordshire's University. The rankings speak for themselves.

Thank Post
    Can definitely (and personally) recommend Computing at Bournemouth :-) In my final year here and although I'm not doing Network Systems Management, I am taking networking modules.

Kyle

Thank Post
    any chance of a link to your course on their site?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From a person that studied at University of Bedfordshire (well university of Luton before it became bedfordshire, the staff are still the exact same as I did a few courses there since), it really is not worth going for the Computer based courses. With the exception of programming, the staff are next to useless, no help if you are ill (and if you ask for the slides etc and homework etc).

The drop out rate for Computer Science (and branching courses) is around 75% in year 1, 10% in year 2, and 10% in year 3.
    Of 400 people that started the computer science course that I was on, 80 people finished. Not because of the course being hard or anything, but from poor support and teaching. Most transfered to other universities and had to repeat the first year due to the standards not being great.

University of Luton/Bedfordshire is fantastic however for Sports therapy and media related courses.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdench View Post
    any chance of a link to your course on their site?
    With the Bournemouth Computing courses, there around 7 titles I think now - they have a common first year between all the Computing courses and than a range of options as you move into the final year depending on module choices etc.

Kyle

Thank Post
    I am currently working in a full time position (IT Support at a Swindon School) so looking for a part-time course to do at college / uni - anyone got any good ones that i could look at?

Primarily i'm thinking of getting a head start on learning stuff like programming and (adding to my very basic knowledge on) website design.
    But has anyone done a course that they can recommend?

Unfortunately, training through work isn't happening so looking to go out on my own!!
    Cheers

P.S It's Friday!! *touch wood* Friday the 13th hasn't been too bad....

Have i jinxed it now??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's been a few years since I was as Staffordshire (left in 2007), and I did Web Design as my discipline, but elected to do the networking (CCNA) module as well as some of the databases etc., and found all that stuff very good - the networking bit in particular had some very knowledge and capable lecturers. There were some useless academicians who loved the sound of their own voices, but enough ex-industry lecturers to make it very worthwhile - some of them scarily intelligent.

I don't know what the systems management stuff would be like as I didn't do it, but if anything I found the harder aspects of computing the best taught there. The only problem is that the Stafford campus is all computing, music and film, so there's about 1 girl to every 40 blokes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread