+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Stephen Hawking looking for Technical Assistant. Must be good with Windows XP! in General; Anyone interested? Link : www.hawking.org.uk/index.php/component/content/article/96 If you're proficient at repairing customized hardware and want to work side-by-side with one of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts

Stephen Hawking looking for Technical Assistant. Must be good with Windows XP!

Anyone interested?

Link: www.hawking.org.uk/index.php/component/content/article/96

If you're proficient at repairing customized hardware and want to work side-by-side with one of the greatest living physicists, there's job opening at the University of Cambridge that might interest you. Stephen Hawking is looking for a new graduate assistant, though the job posting notes this postion might be better described as "technical assistant," as the main functions are to help Hawking function as a public speaker and professor. While there's a number of more mundane tasks such as maintaining travel schedules and preparing lecture graphics, there's also the noteworthy task of "develop[ing] and maintain[ing]... Professor Hawking's communication and speech systems."

Hawking's "black box" computer system consists of a Windows XP laptop attached to his chair, powered by the wheelchair's batteries. It also has a 3G card for constant Internet access, and remotes designed for home automation: Hawking can open his doors, turn on lights, and control his home theater. Applicants will need to service this complicated setup on-the-fly without any sort of documentation or guidelines, so a high degree of electronics knowledge and computer literacy are required. While the job hasn't been officially posted, Professor Hawking's website is letting prospective candidates pre-submit information; it doesn't count as an official application but may help filter qualified candidates from the flood of applications that are sure to come. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Windows XP, oh dear I thinks he needs to get that upgraded its getting a bit long in the tooth!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I looked at this and wished I had the skills to satisfy it but its not really my area and besides, comparitivly I'd feel like a housepet in comparison to the kind of intelect required to come up with the stuff that he has come up with. I can only wish that I was that smart and do quite often. While I can still, kind of remember XP my dev skills are not quite up to it and given my level of mathmatical mastery I would feel like a chimp at the zoo.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th December 2011 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'd feel like a housepet in comparison to the kind of intelect required to come up with the stuff that he has come up with. I can only wish that I was that smart and do quite often.
    No, he just has a different type of intellect, and he is actually human - when I lived in Cambridge I bumped in to him a few times at the cinema and outside the kebab shop near King's College. I looked at applying for this job a while ago, when I was fresh out of university, and I reckon that working in a school would be pretty good experience - you need to be a general jack-of-all-trades and good at dealing with people.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread