+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bootable USB-stick in General; Hello all, I've created a bootable USB-stick. But it only have 1.44mb max because the stick is seen as a ...

Thank Post

Bootable USB-stick

Hello all,

I've created a bootable USB-stick. But it only have 1.44mb max because the stick is seen as a floppy.
    Does somebody know how I can make the size larger?

Greets, Michael

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    The last time I used Ghost, I used the 32-bit version (Ghost32.exe) in Windows PE. The advantage to doing it this way, is that you can use Windows NIC drivers instead of DOS, read and write to NTFS HDDs and you aren't limited to 1.44MB's. Would this be an option?

Thank Post
    What are you looking to use the bootable stick for?

Thank Post
    I use Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (Pen Drive) - www.hiren.info on both a USB drive (diagnostics, always in my pocket) and a portable HDD (Ghost imaging and file recovery). You can create a FAT32 partition at least 512Mb at the beginning of the drive for Hiren, and then use the rest for ghost images/file recovery/etc...

You might be able to use a partition editor to resize your USB. If Windows' Disk Managment (diskmgmt.msc) doesn't work try GParted -- About (Also included in Hiren)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I want to put NetBootDisk.com - The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk for M$ Networks (with ghost) on an usb-stick so I can send and receive images
    from my clients to my server. With the hp utility it does work, but I keep getting the same problem.
    My usb-stick have 1.44mb after I used the utility and I need 2.5 mb of total data on my usb-stick.

Arthur: I've had instructions to do it with dos drivers so I may not use ghost32.exe

Gerry: I've tried Gparted and Partition Magic to make the 1.44mb larger. Though, I don't get Gparted working.
    Could you give my a bit information how to use that program?

Thanks for helping me all, I really appreciate it!

Thank Post
    If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong (I rarely use Gparted, but it's helped me with a couple of things in the past), it's fairly similar to the way Windows' disk manager works, except nothing is done until you commit your choices. You'd be better off reading the "Resizing a Partition" section of the Gparted manual: GParted -- GParted Manual.

Thank Post
    I've always used PrebUSB (or RMPrepUSB). Found it really good. ... prepusb free download

More about it here ... http://www.rmprepusb.com/
    Last edited by HarryMonkey; 20th December 2011 at 09:17 AM.

TheLibrarian
    Check the BIOS settings; some BIOS's have settings for how they handle USB / removeable devices, yours may be set to "Floppy" (IIRC).

Thank Post
    Gerry: Gparted is seeing my usb as a full 16gb storage drive, so I can't add more space to it. But actually it is still 1.44 mb.

Steveneman: Thanks, I've tried it. But that the program I want to install on my usb-stick is NetBootDisk.com - The Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk for M$ Networks
    and that program is a litle bit tricky. When I select the map with the program you advised me it doesn't do anything.
    I think because the dos start-up programs in the folder I use are in different sub folders.

TheLibrarian: My BIOS settings are good, but thanks for alerting my on that!

Hope you guy's got some more suggestions for me, because I'm kinda stuck

TheLibrarian
    Is it Windows XP / Vista / 7 that sees the drive as a floppy disk or is it after you have booted to the NetBootDisk?

Personally I'd be looking for an alternative method of booting the PC by now; I use WinPE and just inject the drivers required for the PC's I am going to be booting.

It won't boot as fast as the NetBootDisk (obviously) but I wouldn't think boot time is that much of an issue?

There are various guides etc. online for creating WinPE bootable CD's / USB drives etc. I wholeheartedly recommend KAPE from Firesage and the Windows 7 USB Download tool from Microsoft.

Got to be asked; is this USB stick from a Chinese / Hong Kong supplier on eBay? I've seen a number of these that are most definitely not what they say on the tin.

The worst one was a 64Gb stick that would allow you to write to all 64Gb of it, unfortunately you couldn't read what you had written beyond the first 1Gb.

Thank Post
    The program u suggest me looks like a good program. Though, I don't know if my ghost.exe will work on it
    because it isn't an iso file. I will go look for some more information so I might can convert the extension of the file.

Thanks for helping me out

TheLibrarian
    The idea would be to create a WinPE ISO with Ghost32.exe (assuming you use Windows 7 x32 to create the WinPE).

Here's another thought, why don't you use the build in Symantec Ghost Console tools to create a USB boot drive?

Thank Post
    Didn't thought about that, I'll try that this afternoon. Don't got much time at the moment.

TheLibrarian
    Good luck with it.

You won't get any replies from me until the New Year now, I've decided to take the last two days as holiday.

TTFN

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast