Poll: What should I do?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What do I do? in General; General Consensus question here...no guarantee I will take the choice selected in the poll... I have applied for a job, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries

What do I do?

General Consensus question here...no guarantee I will take the choice selected in the poll...

I have applied for a job, but also have the possibility of going on a construction course through the Job Centre...I enjoyed the landscaping volunteering which I did and its given me a taste for the industry. Hmmm...what do I do?!

A bit about the job - Basic labouring, shifting stuff around the site, some drilling and hammering, pretty much it, 3 month contract.
    A bit about the course - its a BTEC National Diploma, Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm, for 15 weeks

The course will give me a qualification and allow me to be more than just a labourer on site...it covers brick work (use of trowel, cement mixer, building chimneys, walls and brick BBQs), carpentry & joinery (hanging doors, joists, gates, fences and small wooden structures such as sheds), as well as Painting and Decorating (basic plastering, painting with different tools, preparation of surfaces, painting different surfaces - metals, wood, plaster, and hanging wallpaper)...Fine its stuff a person should know how to do from stuff around the house, but it doesn't hurt to have a qualification in it.

Thoughts and Comments?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on your current needs, is there a capital consideration given the messy job market is it better to have three months of income than more training. In the long term is the training going to help you out more than the tree months of employment now. If you have the capital to go to the course and still have a buffer to get another job and that job is likely to be better then I'd go for the course. If there is more of a need to aquire more capital imediatly and the course is unlikely to help a decent amount the job may be better. Overall I'd probably lean toward the course but as I am not even in the country my opinion is totally theoritical.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

nephilim (18th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well the Mrs and I can survive for the time being on the level of income and income support received by the government (just, we are skipping 1 meal a day and stopped snacking and stopped buying treats). We are able to survive as I said, but the course allows a better prospect of finding a job as it gives more rounded skills, however the income for 3 months would be nice but I was told there is no chance of the contract being extended. So if I am unable to find work after that point I'm back to square one with no chance for going on the course.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As the course is a limited time offer and should provide better chances for more stable long term income I'd probably go with that.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    So would I. If the contract cannot be extended and you are managing then the course is what I would choose too

8. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    From the tone of your posts, seems you have pretty well made up your mind. Go on the course, if nothing else, it will make a dab hand a diy and save you a fortune in the future.

10. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    +1 for the course. Get yourself on it, and get the word out that you can do that kind of work. Open a seperate bank account and register yourself as self employed and needing to fill in a self assessment. Canvas as much as you can with places that people will trust, word of mouth has always been my best source of work. Keep aside 20% for tax (and some for NI, there's a standard rate but I can't remember what it is - though if you're making less than about 3.5k you can apply for NI exemption). Write everything down that goes in and out of that account, and you're sorted. Bear in mind you might need to register for VAT if you start turning over enough but that's incredibly unlikely atlast for now.
    You'll make far more money doing that if you can get the word out than you will on a temporary job on site, and you've got the confidence and skills to do it from the course.

^
    Is my ten penneth.

12. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Didn't think about that Michael...to be honest as I am looking to do a complete career change (whilst still young enough to fall back on my old one if needed) the course would put me in the right direction. I'm qualified to do structured cabling so adding that in with building would mean in theory I could work on new build sites

Thank Post
    Sounds like you've already made the decision, as has been said
    I think it's probably just another string to your bow.
    Something else to do is look at these courses part time and see how much they'd cost... I was looking at similar things, and finding things part time to suit anywhere near me was a massive issue - if i'm out of work and looking to get back into it, there are plenty, but if i'm in work and just looking to learn new skills, it's difficult - so maybe turn your situation into a positive oportunity to get it under your belt while you can

I guess if I were an employer, i'd probably rather see on the CV that you've done the course rather than done the temp work (regardless of the job being related to the course or otherwise), but i'm not an employer, so I don't really know!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Thoughts and Comments?
    Do the course for all the reasons mentioned above, plus it'll quite likely be warmer than your average building site at this time of year. At the rate you're going, in a few weeks time you'll be a qualified sysadmin + builder + cable guy, which sounds like a pretty capable combination.

16. Thanks to dhicks from:

nephilim (19th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    I think the course will give you another string to your bow... it gives you options. If you can afford it, go on the course.

18. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Short term the contract would be ideal, but you need to be thinking long term, in which case the course would be the far better option. As mentioned the course is a limited time offer and will give you better oportunities in the future.

20. Thanks to mdrabble from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I think the course will give you another string to your bow... it gives you options. If you can afford it, go on the course.
    The course is free - however looking at where they do it, if I was earning it would cost nearly £3000!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the info it sounds like a no-brainer, the course is an investment in the future whereas the job is short term and its possible that nothing more may come of it. If you can survive financially then do the course.
    BTW good luck with the career change

23. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For me to go on the course for 15 weeks, the other half has to drop 5 hours from work for me to go on income support as JSA would stop (nice of them to tell me AFTER I apply for the course).

Going to CAB tomorrow afternoon to see what my options are, as I really want the course but cannot afford to lose any money

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast