+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Without a Hitch in General; Never heard of him either but will listen to him later. RIP. Originally Posted by X-13 Nice, anonymous neg rep ...
    Thank Post
    Never heard of him either but will listen to him later. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Nice, anonymous neg rep "Have some neg rep you heathen."

This is why I dislike religous people. No-one is allowed to have an opposing view according to them.

Even when the opposing view is what their religion actually is...

Le EDIT: WTF anon neg rep here isn't enough... You have to go to a [censored] unrelated post and give MORE anon neg rep. Wow. You're an ass, whoever you are.
    Yeah its sad but if you say something slightly controversial or differ on opinions with someone on here it usually ends up with lots of neg rep. Pretty pathetic IMO. I would join in with the religious debate but I know the neg reppers would come out in mass...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It's Chri....um....um...Holiday Time
    Winterval!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Nice to see your making new friends lol. Who cares about the rep stuff? Not like it gives you free money? Unless I have missed something ?
    It's not the rep in and of itself. It's the principle.

Why should there be a consequence for expressing an opposing view? And why the [censored] was it done anonymously. If you're going to force your beliefs, at least have the courage to put your name to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwbutler View Post
    I know the neg reppers would come out in mass...
    I see what you did there. [even if it was unintentional.]

4. 2 Thanks to X-13:

mthomas08 (16th December 2011), mwbutler (16th December 2011)

Thank Post

Cool

Why should there be a consequence for expressing an opposing view?
    Ideas have consequences. Even before we reach the very real consequences mere ideas can have (all of almost everything - but an Atom bomb is a good example of the ultimate manifestation of a mere idea). Ideas are information and our brains actually physically change simply by virtue of processing information. You 'passively' reading these words - hey I'm changing you. That makes ideas themselves very important and opinions when expressed are capable of changing people. So there are real consequences for others when you express an opinion. Don't make the mistake of thinking that having an opinion is some kind of harmless activity which you should be able to do with impunity. Express your view by all means but you should fully *expect* consequences when you do that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So there are real consequences for others when you express an opinion. Don't make the mistake of thinking that having an opinion is some kind of harmless activity which you should be able to do with impunity.
    Words cannot describe the expression on my face right now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Ideas have consequences. Even before we reach the very real consequences mere ideas can have (all of almost everything - but an Atom bomb is a good example of the ultimate manifestation of a mere idea). Ideas are information and our brains actually physically change simply by virtue of processing information. You 'passively' reading these words - hey I'm changing you. That makes ideas themselves very important and opinions when expressed are capable of changing people. So there are real consequences for others when you express an opinion. Don't make the mistake of thinking that having an opinion is some kind of harmless activity which you should be able to do with impunity. Express your view by all means but you should fully *expect* consequences when you do that.
    In context, ouch... don't rock the boat becaue the flock may get wise and look elsewhere for answers. Having an opinion is not overtly harmeful.

The atomic bomb is a good example, what has it got us; long range space probes (with radiological decay thermal generators), huge amounts of power for realitivly little imediate pollution, peace or at least something close to it in many of the larger areas of the globe. Ideas can be good or bad but if they are hidden away in fear that it may upset someones preconceptions they cannot be either and things cannot progress or even stay the same.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why should there be a consequence for expressing an opposing view? And why the [censored] was it done anonymously. If you're going to force your beliefs, at least have the courage to put your name to it.

I see what you did there. [even if it was unintentional.]
    TBH, expressing you opposing opinion is fine (even I get the statement and it is a fairly odd concept!) but the hashtag does overstep it a bit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    In context, ouch... don't rock the boat becaue the flock may get wise and look elsewhere for answers.
    No.

No. No. No.

By all means have your opinion and state it, but don't expect it to be devoid of any consequences. My comment was specifically in response to a statement of surprise that merely stating an opinion should have consequences. I'm trying to explain WHY mere ideas have consequences. I'm not standing in judgement on any arbitrary idea.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The atomic bomb is a good example, what has it got us; long range space probes (with radiological decay thermal generators), huge amounts of power for realitivly little imediate pollution, peace or at least something close to it in many of the larger areas of the globe. Ideas can be good or bad but if they are hidden away in fear that it may upset someones preconceptions they cannot be either and things cannot progress or even stay the same.
    On the subject of the A-bomb. That isn't even what the preceding idea was about.

E=MC2 was intended at a way to generate cheap energy for countries[I think] until the military got wind of it.

Einstein wasn't happy with the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Clark, "Einstein: The Life and Times", pg. 428
    But bombs were not what Einstein had in mind when he published this equation. Indeed, he considered himself to be a pacifist. In 1929, he publicly declared that if a war broke out he would "unconditionally refuse to do war service, direct or indirect... regardless of how the cause of the war should be judged."
    Although, he changed his mind when [GODWIN'S LAW!] Hitler rose to power.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the subject of the A-bomb. That isn't even what the preceding idea was about.

E=MC2 was intended at a way to generate cheap energy for countries[I think] until the military got wind of it.

Einstein wasn't happy with the end result.

Although, he changed his mind when [GODWIN'S LAW!] Hitler rose to power.
    It's all part of the same idea though, the work that went into atomic bombs pushed atomic science foward at a hugely accelerated rate by allowing it to use the fastest computers of the time (some of which were built for the task) in order to get a more comprehensive knowledge of the topic. They are not seperate and unrelated, fision bombs evolved into h bombs (fusion) which proved the theory and gave the fusion research a start. You can't pick and choose what leads to what and that is the point. Supressed or even evil seaming ideas can lead to unexpected places. Ideas can and do connect to each other so I guess in that way opinions, if they expose something new can have conciquences but that is more of a subset of opinions than all of them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12