+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anyone who has an phone upgrade due in General; I can give a full and whole hearted recommendation to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus....its awesome...
    Thank Post

Anyone who has an phone upgrade due

I can give a full and whole hearted recommendation to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus....its awesome

Thank Post
    isnt it the size of a moon?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    isnt it the size of a moon?
    Shazzzzaaaaammmm!!! hehe!

Thank Post
    Im due for an upgrade for Jan any pros and cons about the phone from your experience?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    It came out top overall on Gadget Show's Top 5 Smart Phones last night too

EDIT: apart from ease of use, the iPhone won that (as you might expect) but that shouldn't put us geeks off one "reviewer" had never used a smart phone before, one was an Apple lover and one was an Android lover... personally I think they should have gotten 3 smart phone noobs to review...
    Last edited by LosOjos; 13th December 2011 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Weird, was just about to post people's recommendations for a phone but I'm after something specific.

Does the phone have GPS - and if so, would one be able to upload maps to to it ala tom tom thus negating the need to connect to 3g (or whataver data band) to use it?

Thank Post
    So far the only con i can find is, its rather big, but the 720p Screen makes that bit worth while, Android 4 now has proper Proxy Settings avaliable in the menu and its on a per connection basis and not an over all setting. The phone is lightning fast, with no overlayed front end out of the box. The screen is very clear, the touch response is instant. The camera app is amazing, zero shutter lag is very good, the flash is ultra bright (3LED set) and the sweep panorama is very good.
    Face unlock isn't that good because if you move even slightly it wont unlock, but really thats just a gimmick so apple cant they did it first.
    Im very impressed by the ease of setup out of the box, only about 3/4 screens long and very simple. It took some getting used to as i had an iPhone previously so it was a big change for me, but i rate it higher than the iphone already after 1day of use.

8. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

north-ict (13th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Got one due in February, waiting to see what HTC do with Android 4.

Thank Post
    @Disaster i believe you can get a GPS navigator that has built in maps, i've not really looked yet but i do know TomTom and Navigon have android apps which use pre-downloaded in-app maps

11. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

Disaster (13th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Im due an upgrade beginning of January, I already had the galaxy nexus down as my next phone, in fact halfway through my current contract I had already decided that my next phone was going to be the nexus around at my upgrade time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Got one due in February, waiting to see what HTC do with Android 4.
    The new QuadCore phones may be out by then, looking at some of the leaked spec sheets on GSMArena they look to be pretty awesome, 1.4Ghz DualCore Snapdragons with Tegra3 chips and 2gb ram....they will outperform netbooks!!

14. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

JJonas (13th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    Im very impressed by the ease of setup out of the box, only about 3/4 screens long and very simple. It took some getting used to as i had an iPhone previously so it was a big change for me, but i rate it higher than the iphone already after 1day of use.
    Its even better for those of us already on android, when I sign into my google account it will download all my apps again and aside from tweaking the home screens I will be done

Android 4 now has proper Proxy Settings avaliable in the menu and its on a per connection basis and not an over all setting.
    Android 3 has that aswell, but I had to say I wouldn't use it on my phone, I may save on data use when it comes to emails but I'd rather not loose facebook/twitter etc... My Phone is normally used in schools to get onto the 99% of the internet the westfield block.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Weird, was just about to post people's recommendations for a phone but I'm after something specific.

Does the phone have GPS - and if so, would one be able to upload maps to to it ala tom tom thus negating the need to connect to 3g (or whataver data band) to use it?
    @Disaster i believe you can get a GPS navigator that has built in maps, i've not really looked yet but i do know TomTom and Navigon have android apps which use pre-downloaded in-app maps
    Just to let you both know, Google Maps (which is the standard Sat Nav/GPS app on Android, naturally) was updated about 6 months ago to allow you to download the maps to the phones memory - can't remember the exact method but it was very easy to, something like search for the route you want while you have 3G/WiFi, then press "Menu -> Download Area Map" or something like that

Just found this blog post explaining it in more detail: “Download map area” added to Labs in Google Maps for Android - Official Google Mobile Blog

EDIT: just to quickly add, I have successfully used that feature so can confirm it works

17. 4 Thanks to LosOjos:

Arcath (13th December 2011), bladedanny (13th December 2011), Disaster (13th December 2011), HaleStorm (13th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    Its even better for those of us already on android, when I sign into my google account it will download all my apps again and aside from tweaking the home screens I will be done
    The requirement of a google account reminds me too much of Apple requiring you to have a iTunes account...

What happened to just being able to take it out of the box and being able to fully use it...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Top intel, I'm due an upgrade this month

Was really happy with my HTC Nexus One- until I dropped it in Wickes and smashed the screen.

Might look at the Samsung Nexus as a feasible replacement (Mrs Joe has the Samsung Galaxy which I absolutely loathe)

Cheers

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast