+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hob Nobs are so yesterday.... in General; Originally Posted by broc German food is very under-rated in my opinion. They do some great desserts, pies & pastries, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    German food is very under-rated in my opinion. They do some great desserts, pies & pastries, & as long as you like pork you are ok. It's not such a good place for vegetarians though.

I had some delicious pork loin steaks served with a sour cherry sauce last summer while staying on the Rhine. German red wine is another secret they keep from us...... how often do you see it for sale here?

After a certain PM grew a pair of balls overnight - dont expect to see much in the way of decent french or german food for a while

2. 2 Thanks to Gatt:

joe90bass (13th December 2011), tech_guy (9th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They do bags of smaller lebkuchen in Tesco at the moment as well, Iced or Chocolate Covered (with Apricot Filling). The former are definitely the best. Thoroughly addictive.

German red wine is another secret they keep from us...... how often do you see it for sale here?
    You want to know a secret? Try some Swiss wine some time. They don't export any because it's so bloody delicious

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    You want to know a secret? Try some Swiss wine some time. They don't export any because it's so bloody delicious
    I have, and I agree with you.... it's a shame Switzerland is so expensive these days though.

Last summer we saw some Black Forest ice-cream on sale(made in Switzerland) , a 500ml pack was just over £9 sterling equivalent. We decided not to buy it.

The same Black Forest ice-cream was purchased 2 days later in Lidl near Koblenz in Germany for less than £3 equivalent.....it was probably one of the best ice-creams I have tasted!

If I was a Swiss tourist visiting Germany & saw what the Germans were paying I would feel we were being ripped off at home....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have, and I agree with you.... it's a shame Switzerland is so expensive these days though.

Last summer we saw some Black Forest ice-cream on sale(made in Switzerland) , a 500ml pack was just over £9 sterling equivalent. We decided not to buy it.

The same Black Forest ice-cream was purchased 2 days later in Lidl near Koblenz in Germany for less than £3 equivalent.....it was probably one of the best ice-creams I have tasted!

If I was a Swiss tourist visiting Germany & saw what the Germans were paying I would feel we were being ripped off at home....
    When I lived in Basel I used to cross the border to do my grocery shopping in Germany... no other way of affording it. In all fairness, Switzerland isn't expensive for everything - electronics were cheaper than here when I was out there - it's just that what is expensive is food, drink and rent, which are fairly unavoidable

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I don't eat hobnobs but lebkuchen is another story - yum
    Have to be careful though coz I am the only one in the family who likes it so I have to eat it all.....

Thank Post
    German food is very under-rated in my opinion. They do some great desserts, pies & pastries, & as long as you like pork you are ok. It's not such a good place for vegetarians though.
    Absolutely. Their food is super. We should eat more of it over here, and it's far more regional than I'd thought possible. Swabians cook a sort of pasta, for example.

I had some delicious pork loin steaks served with a sour cherry sauce last summer while staying on the Rhine. German red wine is another secret they keep from us...... how often do you see it for sale here?
    Trollinger? Good stuff. I got a taste for it when I was in Stuttgart this year, but can't find it for buggery in the UK.

It's ridiculous. Germans and Brits, we're so similar - same tastes in food, drink, same lifestyles. The only reason people don't holiday more in Germany is the war.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    The only reason people don't holiday more in Germany is the war.
    Don't mention the war...... just joking..... In any case I think most Germans have forgotten about the war & moved on. On their own turf I find them friendly & accomodating.

We have spent quite a bit of time visiting/passing through Germany over the last 6-7 years during our summer holidays in our motorhome. We use the German motorways in preference to the French when travelling south. Most of mainland Europe is far more 'motorhome or caravan' friendly than the UK is, sadly.

Thank Post
    Don't mention the war...... just joking..... In any case I think most Germans have forgotten about the war & moved on. On their own turf I find them friendly & accomodating.
    No, I mean that culturally, up until WW1, everyone in the UK who went abroad for a holiday went to Germany. Since the wars that has ended, and I think it needs to change because Germany is such a great place to holiday.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right thats my lunch break sorted!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Absolutely. Their food is super. We should eat more of it over here, and it's far more regional than I'd thought possible. Swabians cook a sort of pasta, for example.

Trollinger? Good stuff. I got a taste for it when I was in Stuttgart this year, but can't find it for buggery in the UK.

It's ridiculous. Germans and Brits, we're so similar - same tastes in food, drink, same lifestyles. The only reason people don't holiday more in Germany is the war.
    Try Alsdi. They do a lot of German meats in the chilled food section.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Try Alsdi. They do a lot of German meats in the chilled food section.
    Or failing that.. look in the wine aisle.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    My German Father-in-law used to rear his own pigs and birds and slaughter them. He was also a great cook.

he sent us over a turkey one Christmas... it got delayed in the post... hmmm. green turkey...

Thank Post
    I have an aldi nearby....i may try these if I can find them. Otherwise, the nearest Lidl is 12 miles away!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aldi just down the road from my work, lidl near my house, sorted!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    -_- Aldi here dont sell them and when I asked they said hadn't had them for months.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast