+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Should I go freelance? in General; Also remember to ensure that you are the only service the LEA provide as part of the contract - a ...
    Thank Post
    Also remember to ensure that you are the only service the LEA provide as part of the contract - a lot of LEAS lump backup systems, av, etc etc into the support part to make it appear more attractive. You may have to provide these at a cost to you too.

2. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

jsuk2000 (9th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    Also remember to ensure that you are the only service the LEA provide as part of the contract - a lot of LEAS lump backup systems, av, etc etc into the support part to make it appear more attractive. You may have to provide these at a cost to you too.
    I know, I am competeing with "Technical Support Visits" part of the services to schools. They still pay for the internet filtering, AV, network backup etc seperately. However they could change this...

Thank Post
    A couple of other cons:

Your public sector pension will stop growing. You need to factor in the cost of providing yourself with that. It's huge.

All it takes is for a single change of head or management at a single school who decides they want to do things differently, and you could lose the lot.

I'd never discourage anyone from becoming self-employed, but it's a risky game and you're basically shackling yourself to the education sector which will, I guarantee, see its income fall in real terms over the next decade. It will have to do more with much, much less, and you're putting yourself in the firing line. Contractors are always the first to go. You need some work which isn't public sector based to give yourself a fall-back position.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12