+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hey All! Techy and Geeks alike i need your advice on my career in General; Hey All, First of all this is my first post, i stumbled on this forum after googling about Microsoft qualifications. ...

Thank Post

Wink Hey All! Techy and Geeks alike i need your advice on my career

Hey All,

First of all this is my first post, i stumbled on this forum after googling about Microsoft qualifications. I don't really participate in forum chat but i think edugeek looks like a quality community to be part off and contribute to!

The reason why i signed up was to ask for advice of the tech professionals

Just a little about myself...
    I been in to computers since a very young age, I've literally spent most of my life in-front of a computer screen, i still have a social life and do enjoy being around people lol but my passions always been in technology and always quick to pick technical things up. I've always found it hard to learn the traditional text book way of things rather i'm more hands on.

I've graduated in 2008, i'm 25 and been working here and there and signing on JSA quite often this as got quite depressing and i makes me feel like i'm wasting my time and also like a bum. All i want a good job, learn more and i feel i have a lot offer. I realised university was just a big waste and a scam, but it was something that my school and parents pressured me in to doing with out considering my qualities our other routes available. Now i stand with a lack of industry experience and massive gap between qualifications and employment.

I've done a lot in my own time from fixing and building countless computers building small networks for friends family etc, right now just messing around with setting up 2008 r2 on vmware and i'll have ago at getting sharepoint on there aswell just to learn more.

Particular areas of interest are virtualisation and emerging web technologies. (Ive also attached my cv and profile)
    For those who work in the industry i kindly ask for your expertise and advice. (consider my background) Also I was wondering should i take a professional qualification

Thanks
    Satnam
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by satz; 8th December 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remove personal details like name and address then repost up the cv etc.

Thank Post
    i've removed my CV i don't think its that relevant to the post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well the CV is good for people to look at and critique so that it can only get better

As for your profile, it seems you are very competent. My best piece of advice (as a person also on Job Seekers) do volunteer work! It shows that you are willing to work and gives you a reference. If you show people that you are willing to show up on time even to a job you are not paid for, you are worth a punt!

Since volunteering and being on job seekers, I have had more interviews than when I was actually in paid work!

Thank Post
    There is a few CV guru's on here...

Things I noticed was grammar (worth proof reading), could be shorter, just put references available on request, but again these can be changed easy.

Witch will probably be the best person for assistance, if she has time.
    Last edited by JoeBloggs; 8th December 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Thank Post
    lol ill put my CV back up :P thanks nephilim, I'm currently working as volunteer IT administrator on 2008 server(its been a year it was paid role but got cut because of government funding) also got a blog likedigital.wordpress.com.

Can i ask what your situation is and what job your seeking?
    I think i'm lacking professional qualifications like microsoft certification etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    only official certification I have is CCNA.

However I have around 60 different MS Module Passes as well (but never took the final exams for them, otherwise I would probably have MCITP: SA, EA, DS etc

I am currently undertaking volunteer landscaping and attaining a CSCS card which opens up an avenue for working on building sites. Its a fun project and its good to see the people its being built for getting use - we are doing it at a centre for disabled people so they can have vegetable plant pots and the like. I am going to continue to volunteer for the company until I have got employment. It shows that even when the project is finished and most people go on their way, that I am willing to continue to help the communities as and where needed. Plus it is also a reference for me

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    By all means send me your CV and I will have a look - pm for my email - but go through and check for spelling and grammar FIRST!!

Thank Post
    hey witch, i just had a read through my cv fixed a couple of errors i spotted ...oops but ill pm it across to you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm just wondering why some people put things over 2 or 3 pages on a CV when it can be done in 1 page if set out properly. Thanks to witch my CV has landed me loads of interviews

Lots of @witch 's advice made sense and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner, but now I know, it is all so clear! lol

11. Thanks to nephilim from:

witch (8th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Wow really! I've sent my CV to @witch now i best not reply until i get the experts feed back. btw thats good news you getting interviews is it IT jobs you been going for?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IT and construction jobs getting interviews at both

Thank Post
    Ah right, last i heard construction industry was hit hard, i think government are trying to re stimulate it. I take you must have separate CV for separate sectors

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    My personal opinion is to get a job and build up your experience - worked for me and I don’t have any M$ or Cisco certs and I do a lot of heavy IT projects and have a very good job - IT qualifications are overrated.
    What I also do is buy aload of servers\switches\routers etc etc off ebay, build them, break them, fix them – all fun!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope...same CV for both. My construction skills are just as useful as IT skills.

I can do structured cabling on building sites as I am certified to do so. Only waiting on my CSCS card to come through

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast