+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Stage Spotlight Bulb in General; Originally Posted by bossman @Hightower: Something like this: Cheap T11 BA9S LED White Light Bulb Lamp for sale Is this ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:

Something like this: Cheap T11 BA9S LED White Light Bulb Lamp for sale

Is this the right price?

Do I get the gold star?

Are we still friends? hehe!
    Nah, nothing like that. But we can still be friends - have a friendship star.

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Opps my bad lol. Stupid thing is though the amount of time you have spent on here and going back and forth with the teacher has probably wasted 10+ of time...
    Not really, the school pays my wage regularly rather than per hour, so it's in my interests to save the school money wherever possible. It might seem like a small amount but the music department has a very small budget so every little helps. Plus, it's probably only taken me about 2 minutes tops to write all posts in this thread, and I wish I was on 5 per minute

Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    you're in winchester right...
    Nope, think you getting your wires crossed with me and @Andrew_C

2. Thanks to Hightower from:

bossman (9th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Err... I don't have any requirements. The OP is Hightower. I know where to buy them from; see above for who I get to quote on box quantities.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower: @plexer:

My bad misread the post but came close with this: TV,Film,Theatre & Disco Lamps - Items - Our Online Shop

Bottom left, is this similar to what your requirements are @Andrew_C ?
    Thats good as the price in inc vat + delivery but Minimum order quantity 2 may be handy to have a spare just depends on how long they normall last for.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Nope, think you getting your wires crossed with me and @Andrew_C
    you're right. I am. I'm an idiot.

However... the advice still stands, but there will be postage! Not sure how much that will be to cloud 9!

Thank Post
    @Bossman has provided a good link, but the music teacher hasn't got a requirement for two at the moment. I said to him to order a few spares but he said in his 7 years here this is the first time one has gone. Also, as there is an array of lights (not just one) it's not going to be the end of the world if a light is out for a performance.

8. Thanks to Hightower from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    A bit late now but CPC is also a good source for theatre lamps, I get all mine from there, not that one as I don't use them but I have found them to be the cheapest place going for them and have used a range of places listed above so maybe worth a gander.

Thank Post
    Ok, thought I'd post this here as it's similar subject - saves starting a new thread.

The cable used is having problems - it consists of 4 cables, a couple work, a couple don't. The teacher has tried soldering the ends in an attempt to fix, which worked for a couple of years but I think the cable has now had a look. So, has anyone got one of the following cables lying around they no longer need, or can any one point me to a new one (at a decent price obviously).

Sorry, I don't know the name of the cable, so I attach photos.

This is the block on the wall the cables plug into to connect to the lights

Stage Spotlight Bulb-dsc00188.jpg

This is the end that connects to the light amp (yes, that's what I'm calling it - basically the device to control the lights....... oh, light controller might have been better).

Stage Spotlight Bulb-dsc00187.jpg

This is the end that connects to the wall.

Stage Spotlight Bulb-dsc00186.jpg

The two ends are very similar as in number of pins, but as you might be able to tell have different connectors.

EDIT: Sorry for quality of images - took on phone in a rush

Thank Post
    i don't have any cables, but i can tell you that the pic in the middle are 8 pin dins, readilly available from CPC. the bottom picture shows a thing called a strand blecon connector... these were only made by strand in the late 80's and early 90's. strand expired in about 2006 and the connectors are made of solid unobtanium. You need to speak to someone like stage electrics to get your equipment changed to run din sockets, then you will be able to just buy din leads.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 9th December 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    I think after a search these are 8-pin analogue control cables (plug/plug)

Now just need to find a good price for them.

Thank Post
    If the cable he has is ok, should he be able to buy some of these (EIGHTPIN DIN PLUG | Audio Connectors | Cables & Connectors) and fit them to the cable himself? Is that a fairly straight forward job?

Thank Post
    it may not be that simple... strand use a different pin out to zero 88 or pulsar it depends what your desk is. you may need to get one end of the cables changed to ensure the correct voltages end up on the right pins. These units operate by sending 10v or -10v to the desk with a 0v reference which may be on a pin, or may be on the shell of the plug, the other pins then take a signal of between 0 (fully off) and 10 v (fully on) back to the dimmer pack. The variac/triac in the dimmer pack then responds to this low control voltage and changes voltage to the lights and thus the light output.

Analogue control is a black art, and very difficult to get right. Din plugs are a pita to work with.

Also, i'm pretty sure dins won't fit into the holes the blecons currently fit into.

you can have a browse of http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/index.shtml which should give you more info about your gear.

What does the lighting controller say on it? is a strand tempus or a pulsar, or a zero88 or something else?
    Last edited by Oaktech; 9th December 2011 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    ISTR that Bleecon are just a different form of lock for the DINs, the other one you have there is Preh DIN, again referring to the locking type. There is plenty of info about on the pinouts of the connectors, but as stated above, Strand use -ve, and most other use +ve control voltages. Some racks don't care what you feed them with.

Bleecon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You MAY get away with some 8 core alarm cable and 8 pin DIN plugs Soldered on each end, I assume these cables are the desk to wall (then off to the dimmers at the other end). As @Oaktech & @Andrew_C mentioned there are various lighting standards, but you are not changing the active kit at the ends of the cable, just the cable in the middle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12