+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Corero vs PS Financials in General; Hi Guys, Need some opinions on the above 2 financial packages from users/techies supporting. We're on the process to become ...

Thank Post

Corero vs PS Financials

Hi Guys,

Need some opinions on the above 2 financial packages from users/techies supporting.

We're on the process to become a multi-academy trust, so need reporting across the trust, as well as individual school security basis (ie bob in school1 only sees school1's accounts etc). We've had both in to demo their software, and unfortunately PS Financials didn't show the basics of what it can do - the finance staff are currently interested in how the software processes will differ from a view of purchase orders, invoices etc (ie the day to day stuff), rather than the indepth powerful reporting and tracing which was shown. We're off to see Corero again tomorrow, but I'd like to gather views outside of a Corero user group (I know that use groups can be created from the places which have no issue with the software).

So, anyone who's used either of them, can I have your opinions. Any issues which took a while to resolve, any issues with parts of the software, anything missing, any strange configurations required, any comment on speed/flexibility, any comment on feature development/updates?

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I take it PS Financials touted the fact that The Harris Federation runs their software?
    Last edited by nicholab; 7th December 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Can't remember that aspect of things. Do you have an opinion or experience on either software?

Thank Post
    I did have a big post typed up, but managed to loose it! We've just had PSF installed here and it's great. Loving the web PO system, and much prefer it to FMS (used at my last school). Our FD was previously a Corero user (we're a new academy so it was relatively recently as well) and she's preferring PSF as well. She says that Corero was good, but PSF is just so much easier for the advanced things and preparing for audit/accounts/reporting etc.

5. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Willott (7th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I would say is make sure you roll out the web PO system to end user as it is annoying if they are used to be able to order easily with an old paper based system.

7. Thanks to nicholab from:

Willott (7th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I would be interested in feedback as well on the two from a techies angle as we are looking at either of them or FMS, although I think FMS has been scrapped so its now down to sticking with RM Financials or moving to either of the above.

Thank Post
    Anyone got any other feedback? Like how is the helpdesk for either of them, and how often do you have to call support? And @Soulfish - how big is your PSF DB - the system requirements suggest 500GB HDD space, but I can't ever see our DB hitting this size

Thank Post
    We use Corero. It does have it's faults. The normal fault we experience are where Corero doesn't shut the user's session properly, and will lock users out of certain areas of the system. This then requires an admin to log in and delete the sessions so that the user can then access what they need. It certainly isn't the prettiest thing to look at either, which I am aware isn't a technical issue, but c'mon...the amount of money it costs they couldn't stick a snazzier interface on it?!

11. Thanks to Wabey from:

Willott (13th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wabey View Post
    We use Corero. It does have it's faults. The normal fault we experience are where Corero doesn't shut the user's session properly, and will lock users out of certain areas of the system. This then requires an admin to log in and delete the sessions so that the user can then access what they need. It certainly isn't the prettiest thing to look at either, which I am aware isn't a technical issue, but c'mon...the amount of money it costs they couldn't stick a snazzier interface on it?!
    Did you ever use FMS? Corero is light years ahead of where FMS was at this time last year

Thank Post
    nope....used RM Cash Accounts and then a Norfolk County Council inspired gem called Star Accounts...which was basically an Access database, and meand that if you wanted to use Access on the machine for anything but the finance system, it would break it. Peachy.

I suppose, compared to those 2...Corero is light years ahead!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Anyone got any other feedback? Like how is the helpdesk for either of them, and how often do you have to call support? And @Soulfish - how big is your PSF DB - the system requirements suggest 500GB HDD space, but I can't ever see our DB hitting this size
    We actually had them install it in a VM with a 60gb C drive and 80gb D drive - they didn't complain or bat an eyelid. SQL/PSF are both installed on the D drive and it's using about 10-15gb, but the actual database is about 50mb. Do bear in mind that we've only been open since September though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread