+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Lonely in General; Originally Posted by witch I get very lonely. In one school I have an office stuck away at one end ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I get very lonely. In one school I have an office stuck away at one end of the school. I only see people as I pass through the corridors - I try to mingle but the teachers are all teaching whilst I am there. Sometimes I hardly speak to anyone. My other school WAS better as I was tucked away in a corner of the IT suite, but the IT suite has been moved and there is no room for me so from next term I will be in my corner in what now will be the Library. So I will be alone again.
    I do add 10 mins or so to my three hours if I can so that I can sit in the staff room at the beginning of the day but invariably someone asks me to go and sort something out so I dont have time.

Thank Post
    I'm hardly in a cupboard (big office, with NM office behind a glass partition, and a server room at the end), but yes, it's lonely. The doors are maglocked - there is only staff/student interaction when they come in, and that's usually not the best time to interact, as it's a "nned" call.

It wasn't as bad when I had a junior tech sharing this office with me. We could converse, have a laugh and make even the bad days go well. Now it's just me and the NM, and we're on the verge of a big disagreement in terms of..well, everything really. We rarely converse "normally", and a lot of what I get is..not entirely pleasant.

Our Video tech feels the same, again - he's hardly in a cupboard. Big office, back of the theatre, control decks like a concorde, Avid rigs etc etc. However, he's behind maglock doors too, and it's just him, in isolation. I know he's frequently bored and isolated feeling. So, we're trying to combine forces and get him up here 3 days a week as honourary IT support. We can then assist him with his workload, and vice versa.

I do walkrounds - we have phone, helpdesk, email...but I'm finding a HUGE chunk of "everyday" issues aren't reported, purely down to the "argh, more work to submit it than it's worth", or "I don't want to call up in case I'm told off/doing something silly", or "I don't have the time to do this while teaching a class". NM isn't overly happy about the walkrounds, but as I see it, my role is end user support...and any means to that end has GOT to be a good thing if it means we stay on top of everything. God knows, a small ignored issue soon snowballs in unexpected directions..

It's not like we don't have SERIOUSLY good radios if I'm needed, after all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Our Video tech feels the same, again - he's hardly in a cupboard. Big office, back of the theatre, control decks like a concorde, Avid rigs etc etc. However, he's behind maglock doors too, and it's just him, in isolation. I know he's frequently bored and isolated feeling. So, we're trying to combine forces and get him up here 3 days a week as honourary IT support. We can then assist him with his workload, and vice versa.

Set up skype with a webcam. Free, easy to use [apparently] You're both still in your offices, so no-one can moan about it.

Plus you can claim it promotes interdepartmental cohesion.

Thank Post
    It's a thought..ha! We can give him VLC to his kit down there and forward his phone to the second one I installed in here though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12