+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, London 2012 Olympic ceremonies budget doubled in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    This really is just guess work by me but surly people who provide the food have to work for weeks if not months before hand. Surly most of the staff will not be just for the opening ceremony.

Lighting, rigging, computer networking on that scale would takes months to setup wouldnt it? then practice then the opening. It’s not just half an hour opening many will be used throughout the whole Olympics I would have thought. There must be a better breakdown somewhere around the web.
    Even with all that, I can't see £81m worth.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not *really* sure what your arguments are here - the money was already earmarked for the games, they're just moving stuff around, so that the ceremonies have more funds, and other areas of the olympic budget get cut.

Its not like they decided to take the money out of the education budget to buy more fireworks.
    Well if you can't see it then no wonder this country is going down the crapper.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Well if you can't see it then no wonder this country is going down the crapper.
    Nice response... Really clarifies your annoyance over it.

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

DrCheese (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not *really* sure what your arguments are here - the money was already earmarked for the games, they're just moving stuff around, so that the ceremonies have more funds, and other areas of the olympic budget get cut.

Its not like they decided to take the money out of the education budget to buy more fireworks.

I think the arguement is less "they've taken more money" and more "they're spending money we have a more important use for."

That £81million could go to a much better use. It could also keep quite a few people in jobs.

Thank Post
    See, I can understand everyones views on this and although I'm strongly against our governments cuts I do also think that sometimes you gotta spend money to make money...
    Therefore I don't believe hosting the games is a waste of money.

Yes £81 million is a lot of dosh but just think of the amount of much needed revenue the games will bring to UK businesses etc. Not to mention the jobs that it will create or has already done so.

Just my 2 pence worth :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Man_Dan View Post
    Yes £81 million is a lot of dosh but just think of the amount of much needed revenue the games will bring to UK businesses etc. Not to mention the jobs that it will create or has already done so.
    Creating jobs is good. But when they go to Eastern Europeans, because they can be hired cheaper, it's a waste of time. But that's an entirely different thread.

Also, any revenue made would have to exceed £81million, and I mean exceed it by a lot, to justify the spending.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    The most annoying thing is why can't the IOC officials use Boris bike/Public transport instead of special car lanes!!!?
    Probably because people keep getting killed on the cycle "super" "highways". Have a read of Cyclists in the City: National embarrassment: TfL builds cycle lane to Olympics. Two people killed already. Tells cyclists not to use it. for example.

Back to the original subject - the olympics is just a massive corporate jolly, paid for by the people imho.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I think the arguement is less "they've taken more money" and more "they're spending money we have a more important use for."

That £81million could go to a much better use. It could also keep quite a few people in jobs.
    Yes, but its a moot point now though - the Olympics are going to happen over here and we now have to spend the money to do it properly.

The money is allocated, so basically already spent. Complaining about it now is like crying over spilled milk.

Thank Post
    Well I'll be a 'volunteering' Olympic Games Maker so don't blame me!

As previously mentioned, it is all the behind the scenes planning, preparation, staff (all in forms of capacity, not just the ones you actually see in the performance) involved and you soon understand why costs easily escalates. New jobs, and work opportunities before and during the Olympic Games will be generated, and we can only hope that the legacy will carry on afterwards.

Seems to be a can't win/lose scenario..would it be the same (views) if it was the World Cup being hosted?

Personally I'm looking forward to it, though I haven't a clue where I'm going to stay (bivvy bag might be required! )

Thank Post
    Yes £81 million is a lot of dosh but just think of the amount of much needed revenue the games will bring to UK businesses etc.
    In London

Not to mention the jobs that it will create or has already done so.
    In London

Blah blah, population density, blah blah, stuff outside Landan, blah blah.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    In London

In London

Blah blah, population density, blah blah, stuff outside Landan, blah blah.....
    There are dozens of venues around the country that are to be used for the Olympics - such as the sailing centre in Weymouth and Portland.

Thank Post
    Yes, it'll create temporary jobs funded by the tax payer

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Yes, but its a moot point now though - the Olympics are going to happen over here and we now have to spend the money to do it properly.

The money is allocated, so basically already spent. Complaining about it now is like crying over spilled milk.
    Funny how the Government has found 80 odd million quid when the country is supposed to be broke. This lot are spending more than the last lot but it's ok 'cos it's all part of Cameron's Big Society, with massive un-employment, massive inflation, work until you drop dead whilst cancelling the building of schools that are falling down. Yeah nice one Dave. Oh and to top it off with that pratt Osborne saying last week that if you are on the doll you get a 5% pay increase in your allowance I sometimes wonder if this is all part of a bad dream I'm having......
    80 Million quid can get you quite alot of spilled milk as you call it, but it can also pay for a some much needed new buildings of schools around where I live that were scrapped by that other pratt Gove. But don't worry because I'm sure the kids will enjoy watching the 80 million, fancy dance whilst sitting in a building with peeling paint, leaky roof, and no text books.....

Thank Post
    There are dozens of venues around the country that are to be used for the Olympics - such as the sailing centre in Weymouth and Portland.
    It was a very flippant remark... couldnt you tell?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Funny how the Government has found 80 odd million quid when the country is supposed to be broke. This lot are spending more than the last lot but it's ok 'cos it's all part of Cameron's Big Society, with massive un-employment, massive inflation, work until you drop dead whilst cancelling the building of schools that are falling down. Yeah nice one Dave. Oh and to top it off with that pratt Osborne saying last week that if you are on the doll you get a 5% pay increase in your allowance I sometimes wonder if this is all part of a bad dream I'm having......
    80 Million quid can get you quite alot of spilled milk as you call it, but it can also pay for a some much needed new buildings of schools around where I live that were scrapped by that other pratt Gove. But don't worry because I'm sure the kids will enjoy watching the 80 million, fancy dance whilst sitting in a building with peeling paint, leaky roof, and no text books.....
    Wow, grandad - textbooks? We have internets now and laptops, everyone huddle round the projector to keep warm whilst they share the one licensed pdf of a book they have, cozy!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast