+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, All inclusive gaming device... THE PC!! in General; To be honest, while it is technically illegal, just do it if you want to play them on your PC. ...

Thank Post
    To be honest, while it is technically illegal, just do it if you want to play them on your PC. You arnt going to get raided by the police for downloading some ROMS. It only comes down to how you feel morally really, and considering you already own the games in legal formats I'm guessing you wouldn't feel too guilty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It's just a plain old £1 RF lead for most of the old consoles - Sega being the exception, they seemed to like to make awkward proprietary leads
    Good to know. I think there are a few other propriety leads.

developers see NOTHING from used sales
    I've always thought that was a lame reason against the second hand media market... Dev costs are costs that a company has to be prepared to eat should the game/movie/music/whatever fail miserably.

And charging insane amounts for games, plus DLC, just because they need to recoup the £Squillions they spent on Dev is idiotic.

Charge less, get more.

But this is a rant for another thread.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    To be honest, while it is technically illegal, just do it if you want to play them on your PC. You arnt going to get raided by the police for downloading some ROMS. It only comes down to how you feel morally really, and considering you already own the games in legal formats I'm guessing you wouldn't feel too guilty.
    Although highly unlikely, it is possible you could get a law suit filed against you if you were caught, so I'd still err on the side of caution [whether that means don't do it or "just be careful" I'll leave to your own interpretation]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I've always thought that was a lame reason against the second hand media market... Dev costs are costs that a company has to be prepared to eat should the game/movie/music/whatever fail miserably.
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the second hand market - the devs have already received a cut from the original sale and if I want to sell my belongings, I will do! I just meant that that argument actually supports the legal ROM argument in my eyes.

Of course, some devs are getting round the second hand sale "loss" in other ways - in BF3 for instance, you get a code to allow your username o access MP online - if you were to sell the game, anybody purchasing it would also have to pay a fee to access online (£15 I believe)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Although highly unlikely, it is possible you could get a law suit filed against you if you were caught, so I'd still err on the side of caution [whether that means don't do it or "just be careful" I'll leave to your own interpretation]
    It means "Get your ass behind a proxy."

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    just put aside some money for when the game is re-released to pay for it.
    This is the plan.

Buy game, covert to PC, enjoy game without the need for a £XXX console that will be replaced by the £XXX+1 version in a year or 2.

Of course, some devs are getting round the second hand sale "loss" in other ways - in BF3 for instance, you get a code to allow your username o access MP online - if you were to sell the game, anybody purchasing it would also have to pay a fee to access online (£15 I believe)

Not just BF3. That's EA's new thing.

[See also: Arkham City Catwoman content and Tiger Woods Online conectivity.]
    Last edited by X-13; 5th December 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    these devices are interesting (USB to cartridge adapters, allow you to play cartridges directly in your emulator):

Retrode
    snega2usb - Hack a Day

I wonder where the law lies with those? I suspect it's a breach of the EULA to play the games on anything other than original hardware, but *maybe* devs would be happier about you using these which actually require you to own the cartridge than just to download a ROM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder where the law lies with those? I suspect it's a breach of the EULA to play the games on anything other than original hardware, but *maybe* devs would be happier about you using these which actually require you to own the cartridge than just to download a ROM?
    I think this would fall into the same category as the R4.

If used with only the games you own, you can put your entire DS collection onto one cartidge. You own the original version and are playing it on the console it was designed for. It's even on the same type of cartridge.

You're making the copy yourself, so it would technically be regarded as a backup.

But Ninty don't like it. They managed to get it's sale banned in [Country I can't remember] and it's use with the 3DS bricks it [IIRC].

Thank Post
    I think this would fall into the same category as the R4.

If used with only the games you own, you can put your entire DS collection onto one cartidge. You own the original version and are playing it on the console it was designed for. It's even on the same type of cartridge.

You're making the copy yourself, so it would technically be regarded as a backup.

But Ninty don't like it. They managed to get it's sale banned in [Country I can't remember] and it's use with the 3DS bricks it [IIRC].
    You're probably right, I'll still probably be ordering one though (or making my own if they release a PCB layout!) as it is a bit of a PITA to have to get the consoles out every time I want to play them!

Didn't know that about the R4/3DS - I presume you mean the R4 gets bricked [as opposed to the 3DS]?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I presume you mean the R4 gets bricked [as opposed to the 3DS]?
    Nope.

The 3DS has a kill switch. If you use an R4 it kills it.

Also, at any point Ninty can decide to sent the kill code to it with an update.

Remember those days when you could mess about with a console without the company doing anything, bar refusing to repair under warranty?

Yeah, those days are long gone.

10. Thanks to X-13 from:

LosOjos (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Nope.

The 3DS has a kill switch. If you use an R4 it kills it.

Also, at any point Ninty can decide to sent the kill code to it with an update.

Remember those days when you could mess about with a console without the company doing anything, bar refusing to repair under warranty?

Yeah, those days are long gone.
    that's outrageous! Thanks for the heads up though, bought the daughter a 3DS for xmas, could have been a short lived gift!

If they're going to start messing about like this then it's about time they admitted we don't own the hardware and only charge us rental prices!

Suppose that's kind of where it's going anyway with the upcoming streaming gaming, this will only help to kill the console market off quicker though... far more damaging than downloading a ROM of a 20 year old game anyway!

EDIT: BTW, since when is colon 'o' this --> surely it should be this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    that's outrageous! Thanks for the heads up though, bought the daughter a 3DS for xmas, could have been a short lived gift!

If they're going to start messing about like this then it's about time they admitted we don't own the hardware and only charge us rental prices!

Suppose that's kind of where it's going anyway with the upcoming streaming gaming, this will only help to kill the console market off quicker though... far more damaging than downloading a ROM of a 20 year old game anyway!
    Damn straight.

Which brings me to "STAGE 3!!" of my multi-point Raspberry Pi plans. [It's basically Plan 2, but with the setup instructions and configuration released onto the interweb.]

Le Edit:

More on kill code.

Seems it's a possibility, but no-one is 100% on it. [Ninty neither confirms or denies it.]

Le Edit 2.0:

EDIT: BTW, since when is colon 'o' this --> surely it should be this
    It's the O-face.

Le Edit 3.0 [Now with backwards compatability]

I just realised I missed an opportunity to use "This is an outrage!"

I've let myself down.
    Last edited by X-13; 5th December 2011 at 11:23 AM.

13. Thanks to X-13 from:

LosOjos (5th December 2011)

TheLibrarian
    Another issue with the emulators is that you are copying not just the game ROM (illegally or otherwise), you are reverse engineering / copying the ROMs and / or proprietary chips in the console.

I can see that publishers may want to make money out of the old games again by maybe running their own emulators on newer hardware but if that is so then I wish they'd tell us and hurry up and do it.

For a reasonable price I'd even buy the game again for a certain games.

Why they religiously protect consoles / computers and ROMs / disks / ISOs that they are never going to do anything with beats less cynical me; the cynical me thinks they want to sue people.

As for EULA, IIRC it was against some publishers EULA to even write on the packaging / CDROM!

3DS bricking - I don't know if it's true but if it is that is despicable.

Thank Post
    The EULA only applies to the US, Nintendo would not be allowed to brick the 3DS in the Uk under European law.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    3DS bricking - I don't know if it's true but if it is that is despicable.
    Microsoft set the precident by bricking Xboxes if you modded them.

This is exactly the same. You're using something you have paid for in a way the manufacturers didn't intend, more than likely due to an error in their design/coding, so they disable it's use until you either A) reset it back to how it "should" be or B) [as is the case with bricked Xboxes] buy a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    The EULA only applies to the US, Nintendo would not be allowed to brick the 3DS in the Uk under European law.
    The PirateBay is 100% legal in Sweden, where it's based.

But they get told they break the DCMA and are going to get sued for breach of copyright. Even though DCMA only applied to America.

The fact they aren't legally alowed to brick consoles in this country won't stop them. Especially as you need to both read the EULA [which no-one does] and understand that it only applies to certain countries. [You also need to know which countries it applies to.]
    Last edited by X-13; 5th December 2011 at 11:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Do you have a source? I hope you're right, but could do with some facts to back it up! Can't imagine what law would protect you from this to be honest...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast