+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Working environment - server noise. Is this affecting my hearing? in General; I have a few servers in my office and a gigabit switch, but you can silence them easily with the ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a few servers in my office and a gigabit switch, but you can silence them easily with the correct parts. A simple power supply upgrade on the servers and ssd drives make one hell of a difference. Also look into virtualizing and only having a few physical servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Undertaking CSCS card training atm, and I can tell you from a h&s viewpoint, you should not work in an environment where the noise level is above normal conversation levels without adequate ear protection for more than 3 hours constantly. This includes classrooms, server rooms, offices, building sites, etc.

Normal conversation levels are around 60db.
    Last edited by nephilim; 5th December 2011 at 10:23 AM.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

AngryTechnician (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just did a bit more reading in my books for the CSCS...adequate breaks should be 15 minutes for every 1 hour 30 minutes in the environment where the noise level is high - This is why when you see people using jack hammers etc not doing anything, its from a H&S pov to prevent their hearing getting damaged (and also to help prevent white finger vibration and Raynauds phenomenon...not a pleasant thing)

Thank Post
    I used to be in the server room and actually had to threaten union intervention before anything was done. I then got moved into a store cupboard but this was loads better than the noisy environment of the servers. Now I am in the admin office with the rest of the admin staff so I even have someone to talk to now (albeit they are all of the female persuasion and I'm the only male)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having worked in an all female environment for 3 years, I don't mind working with women or blokes, they give as good as they get in terms of banter so its all good

Thank Post
    The server room used to be my office also, the noise was really bad and I had to stand in a cupboard to make mobile phone calls. I kept telling my line manager that it was excessive and could well be over the HSE limits.. I eventually got moved, but only because a desk became empty elsewhere in the school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Advice from the HSE...put requests to be moved due to noise in writing, and send it to your immediate line manager/supervisor. If it is not dealt with in a timely manner (1 working day on building sites, 1 working week in offices and schools) then go to your HSE rep or phone the HSE themselves. You cannot be given a disciplinary for calling the HSE in and getting them to do their job which will help you do your job properly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    You cannot be given a disciplinary for calling the HSE in and getting them to do their job which will help you do your job properly.
    However, the school may go out of their way to find 'some other' reason to discipline you, so take advice from your union before making the call to the HSE.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    Out of interest, what device do you have that masks the noise of tinnitus? I actually quite like the server noise as it drowns out the tinnitus in my ears which I've had since I was a teenager. Might need to look into reducing it somehow, though if I find it especially bad, I tend to plug in an iPod into the speakers I have set up, or use headphones. Not ideal by any stretch, but it helps me.
    Its a little device that sits where a standard hearing aid would, but rather than amplifying sounds it generates white noise. You can then switch this to the level of your tinnitus, with a view to reducing it gradually until you get to the point where it's barely noticeable.
    It works, but as soon as I take it out the noise just comes flooding back. Night times are particularly difficult, as are telephones from time to time.

It just doesn't make up for the fact my hearing in that ear is damaged around speech frequencies.

DT
    Last edited by DT2; 6th December 2011 at 03:54 PM.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    One of the academies I work in the office is the server room - doesnt really bother me!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12