+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car/driveway security, alert and monitoring in General; Hi Guys, I run a Stolen Land Rover Monitoring Website, called LandyWatch - www.landywatch.co.uk - and we are looking for ...

Thank Post

Thumbs down Car/driveway security, alert and monitoring

Hi Guys,

I run a Stolen Land Rover Monitoring Website, called LandyWatch - www.landywatch.co.uk - and we are looking for different ideas for securing our vehicles.

As you may know, the Land Rover Defender in particular is a very common vehicle to be stolen, due to the simplicity of the vehicle, its value, ease of stripping the vehicle down to parts for selling, and being shipped abroad.

Currently, we are experiencing an epidemic in the Sheffield area, and we are aware of around 30 that have been stolen in the last few weeks.

I was thinking that with us on here being technically minded and experienced in all sorts of different areas, we may be able to get some ideas from you guys of what we could possibly do to make our vehicles more secure.

Currently we reccomend the Disklok for the steering wheel parked on full lock, pedal locks, roof markings, security etching etc.

Is there any ideas you have for cheap and simple security systems, that you may have used, or ideas you may have on how we could make our vehicles more secure.
    Ways to alert the owner if their is someone poking around the vehicle
    Methods to scare them off

Stuff like that.

Anything you can think of would be a great help.

Thank Post
    How about a pack a ravaging dogs for protection? i know how you feel tho as a couple of friends have Land Rovers and they have noticed an increase in thefts so they are trying to come up with ways to protect.

Will keep my eye on this thread

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What would be handy is a battery powered wireless camera with motion detector to fit inside the car if the vehicle is parked in range of a home wi-fi network. Teh minutie someone tries anything it can then FTP pics directly to a remote location.
    Micro Spy has quite a few ideas, but nothing that quite fits that criteria though: Hidden Spy Camera home page
    Actually, I've just found this site which may be more promising: In Car Camera Systems - Vehicle Cameras/ Car Camera - Taxi Camera - Car Black Box Recorder - Trackday Camera - BlackVue DR400 HD

Thank Post
    Mention LandyWatch to them, its totally free and when a vehicle goes missing, we all get an email. Details are posted on Facebook and Twitter too.

A pack of ravaging dogs sounds good, but wolves would be better...

Thank Post
    In sheffield, the main place you want to watch is Foxhill estate, as they park them there for 2days to make sure they have not got trackers before they make them disappear, i know because we managed to recover my mates from there, some chav tried to tell us that it was his car and he swiftly turned on his heals when we produced a key and unlocked it

6. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

CapEnd (29th November 2011)

Thank Post
    In the way of methods, the dog is a good idea, in the summer my friend (same mentioned as above) get his dog to kip in the back of his landy so no-one goes near it, it hasnt however stopped them stealing the bonnet twice. Security etching is relativly cheap, perhaps snap-off stearing wheels? kind of like F1 cars but without all the buttons?

Thank Post
    after a spate of car thefts, a guy near my aunt's house in Dublin use to take the drivers seat indoors each evening.

Thank Post
    FIt an Electric fule pump with a cut out switch hidden inside the cab some where. I used to have this on my Old VW and the old beast would only travel about .5 of a mile before it ran out of fuel.

10. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

Thank Post
    Driveway Alarms | Wireless Driveway Alarms | Driveway Alert

Found this and thought i would share, some sort of sensor would do well but could get quiet annoying if a cat keeps crossing and setting off the alarm

Thank Post
    battery cut off switch or fuel cut off switch as menitoned, try an have them hidden somewhere, behind drivers seat etc, i've had minis so know all about trying to keep them secure! also leave them in gear, full lock etc

Thank Post
    can you get an cut off switch that is key-operated? that would make it even more secure if it was hidden somewhere, perhaps behind a false dashboard front or under one of the seats?

Thank Post
    to further my idea of the snap off steering wheel, perhaps a screw on/off gear lever post? so you can leave it in gear and then take away the changer post so it cant be knocked out of gear?

Thank Post
    We have to try and make them things that people will actually do, and not thing that they cant be bothered unscrewing the gear lever etc etc.

Im seriously considering digging a hole and attaching a ground anchor and filling it with concrete. I could then weld something onto the chassis, and padlock the car to the ground.

The driveway alarm looks good, but as you say it could get annoying. Maybe it could be put inside the car so you know when someone gets in it, but then it would be nice to know someone is snooping around it before they get inside...

Thank Post
    If people get in the habit though, turn off car, grab gear stick and steering wheel, jump out and flick isolator switch....but on second thoughts it is a long process especially if you get home and your busting for a pee

17. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some how embed a computer or laptop with Prey (Open source anti-theft solution for your laptop, phone and tablet – Prey) installed?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast