+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
General Chat Thread, Wales Football Manager Gary Speed Has Died, Aged 42 [Apparently Suicide] in General; Originally Posted by MK-2 Unfortunately suicide is a selfish act in many ways. The one thing that troubles me is ...
  1. #16
    DT2
    DT2 is offline
    DT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Posts
    694
    Thank Post
    140
    Thanked 198 Times in 139 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Unfortunately suicide is a selfish act in many ways.
    The one thing that troubles me is that he did this in his home, presumably with a very good chance his kids could have been the ones to find him.
    Which makes it all the more selfish a thing to do. I remember my mate at school found his dad swinging from the stairs one afternoon, he was never the same afterwards. Not something a kid should ever see.

    DT

  2. #17

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,405
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    When you are in the state of mind where suicide seems to be your only option, I'm not sure you can even comprehend the word 'selfish' anymore - you just want everything to stop. So I don't think that you can label a suicide. To us, on the outside, it looks different to the way it does when you are thinking and feeling that way

  3. #18

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    240
    But at the same time, if you are of the frame of mind to be contemplating taking your own life, I don't think it's likely your family is at the forefront of those thoughts - otherwise he wouldn't have taken his own life. Sometime's it's impossible to see what is going through somebodies head, and it can be disguised quite easily. The hardest part for family is that a person has ended their life, and they couldn't see any warning signs as to why it happened - that's got to be the hardest part to take.

    All I know is, the man will be sorely missed in the football world (the world that I knew of him), and I hope he has now found peace.

    RIP Gary

  4. #19

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    When you are in the state of mind where suicide seems to be your only option, I'm not sure you can even comprehend the word 'selfish' anymore - you just want everything to stop. So I don't think that you can label a suicide. To us, on the outside, it looks different to the way it does when you are thinking and feeling that way
    It really depends on the situation. Some suicides are driven by mental illness and the like, which basically we know so little about it is embarrassing, and then there are those who take it as an easy way out (such as a banker jumping out of a window when they lose billions of dollars etc...).

    The latter is selfish, the prior is not. And of course, there is a nice big grey area in the middle.

    With this poor man and his family, all I will say is RIP and I hope his family get through this ok.

  5. #20

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    When you are in the state of mind where suicide seems to be your only option, I'm not sure you can even comprehend the word 'selfish' anymore - you just want everything to stop. So I don't think that you can label a suicide. To us, on the outside, it looks different to the way it does when you are thinking and feeling that way
    But the thing is, he was on TV the day before. Now I doubt this is something he chose quickly, so even during that interview on TV it was in his mind. Maybe not immediate (perhaps something later that day triggered it) but chances are he had gone through what he would do in his mind already.
    So to hang yourself in your own home with (speculation obviously) your wife and children asleep is selfish regardless of the act. Depending on how/where there is a chance it also wasn't instant, so what happens then if his family find him but can't do anything to save him?

  6. #21

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    But the thing is, he was on TV the day before. Now I doubt this is something he chose quickly, so even during that interview on TV it was in his mind. Maybe not immediate (perhaps something later that day triggered it) but chances are he had gone through what he would do in his mind already.
    So to hang yourself in your own home with (speculation obviously) your wife and children asleep is selfish regardless of the act. Depending on how/where there is a chance it also wasn't instant, so what happens then if his family find him but can't do anything to save him?
    That's all assumptions. We don't know what happened in his head to cause this. It could've been something medical that messed up his brain suddenly - it has been known to happen. We just don't know.

  7. #22

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,059
    Thank Post
    1,681
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Rep Power
    673
    This came as a complete shock and I feel incredibly sad for his family.

    I can't help thinking that this will test the press on their ethics with reporting even more than the Levinson Enquiry.

  8. #23

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's all assumptions. We don't know what happened in his head to cause this. It could've been something medical that messed up his brain suddenly - it has been known to happen. We just don't know.
    Precisely, we don't know, so I am commenting on the information given to me and also using personal experience. I will wholeheartedly change my opinion if new facts come to light

  9. #24

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,004
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    700
    Opinions and theories aside, I think we can all agree that this was unexpected.

    He was 42 and seemed happy the day before.

  10. Thanks to X-13 from:

    captaincharisma (28th November 2011)

  11. #25

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Opinions and theories aside, I think we can all agree that this was unexpected.

    He was 42 and seemed happy the day before.
    Agreed. And whoever neg-repped me - you're welcome to your opinion, i'm welcome to mine.

  12. #26

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Agreed. And whoever neg-repped me - you're welcome to your opinion, i'm welcome to mine.
    I wouldn't worry, I too got hit for stating my opinion. As mine said,
    "What a great attitude - suicide is always tragic. Who the hell are you to judge it selfish!"

    It appears that to talk on these forums now you should be able to provide legally backed documents for any thread. I based my opinion on the situation and my personal experience, unfortunately i didn't back it up with a psychology degree and various articles i've written regarding suicide

    I have re-edited to include the proper comment, not just a snippet. I never said suicide isn't tragic either, but why let that get in the way of a good neg rep
    Last edited by MK-2; 28th November 2011 at 11:11 AM.

  13. #27

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    240
    Whether or not it is selfish, tragic, or whatever is always based on opinion. What is fact though, is that these will be a tremendous ordeal for those involved in Gary's life, and judging Gary for his decision to end things is not going to help those at this hour.

  14. #28
    DT2
    DT2 is offline
    DT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Posts
    694
    Thank Post
    140
    Thanked 198 Times in 139 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    unfortunately i didn't back it up with a psychology degree and various articles i've written regarding suicide
    Tut Tut MK..... -1
    This is why I generally stay away from controversial discussions and opinions. The fact I've just heard nothing else all weekend, and with absolutely no mention of his family was just too much for me. How about a tribute to his bereaved family?

  15. #29

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    Tut Tut MK..... -1
    This is why I generally stay away from controversial discussions and opinions. The fact I've just heard nothing else all weekend, and with absolutely no mention of his family was just too much for me. How about a tribute to his bereaved family?
    See I'm the opposite, I will still give my opinion, I just think the anonymouse negative rep being given is ridiculous. Why not just post in here and say "that is a bad attitude, why do you think it is selfish" rather than rep-sniping.
    Asking the question in here will generate a discussion on it, rather than hitting negrep and thinking "ha, that showed him"

  16. #30
    captaincharisma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    218
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    See I'm the opposite, I will still give my opinion, I just think the anonymouse negative rep being given is ridiculous. Why not just post in here and say "that is a bad attitude, why do you think it is selfish" rather than rep-sniping.
    Asking the question in here will generate a discussion on it, rather than hitting negrep and thinking "ha, that showed him"
    I agree with that, I highly doubt anyone on here says things purposely to hurt feelings. Obviously opinions clash but if you do disagree with someone giving them negative rep with no explanation doesn't really make sense on a forum, surely it would make more sense just to argue your point?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Malcom McLaren Has Died: Age 64
    By DaveP in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th April 2010, 09:59 PM
  2. Problems with Football Manager 2008 on Vista Laptop
    By aliv25 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2nd September 2008, 11:08 AM
  3. UPS has died
    By button_ripple in forum Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th April 2008, 05:54 PM
  4. Football Manager!
    By stujoslin13 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 14th April 2008, 01:18 PM
  5. My Router Has Died (Any Help ?)
    By Warren-Plus in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th December 2007, 04:43 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •