+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, A+ - Does it mean anything? in General; I got offered a free go at the A+ today so I took it (Had the revision materials since last ...

Thank Post

A+ - Does it mean anything?

I got offered a free go at the A+ today so I took it (Had the revision materials since last Tuesday, hardly looked at them)

190 questions over 2 exams, luckily I passed them both (I did find the second one started off with lots of repeat questions from the first exam, then got a little tougher!).

Pretty basic stuff I guess but a bugger when they offer options where multiple answers could technically work.

Anyway does the certification mean anything? I can't see it happening really, I also have Network+ if that makes it better?

Thank Post

Re: A+ - Does it mean anything?

A+? Yes. Ask Dell, HP, or anyone like them if they value A+ or N+ and the answer will be a resounding yes. They are a great first step and will stand you in good stead for the rest of your career- or help to solidify your knowledge base as you carry on doing what you have always done.

Good luck!

Paul

Thank Post

A+ is a great start to becoming an IT perfsional. It gives the the fantastic background knowledge, and can help you lead on to further IT education.

Thank Post

Just going to agree with what the others have said.

Thank Post

The preceding replies are heartening, because I worked long and hard for mine, and it certainly means something to me (Hence my current avatar)!

Thank Post

How did u manage to get it free? I have briefly looked over what its all about - and are studying the Network+ atm.

I think it would be worth getting a few of these + doofers.

fooby

Thank Post

As the others have said, A+ is a great start. But that's what it's designed to be. It's not designed as a high-level qualification but as an entry level cert to say that you understand what you are doing with all these parts when you put them together. Usually those who have done their N+ before the A+ find the A+ to be a breeze.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm certainly not de-valuing the A+ and when the time comes for our company to hire a new tech, that is something I will be looking out for from any applicants (especially as we teach it here too!).

Also, I think the biggest factor to you passing with minimal study is experience. The A+ is designed so that if you have a large wealth of experience behind you, you will have no trouble at all with the exam.

Either way, congrats on the pass. Thought of which way you're going to go next? Microsoft, Cisco or more CompTIA?

Regards,

Rob Cowan.

Thank Post

There is a complicated story to how I got it free

I have my Net+, MCDST and also one MCP towards MCSE (70-270). Obviously next step is to take two further exams to become MCSA

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

they must have changed A+ a bit in the last year when i took mine it was one exam of about 50 questions done on a pc and thats it. Very easy took my n+ 1 month later then xp pro i just got 3 more exams to do to get my cisco. but am not looking forward to that one 3.5 hour exam. but like i have always said exams are easy i have a friend who has passed all his but he still calls me to help fix his pc lol.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information