+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Edugeek server security compromise in General; Hi, When the edugeek server security was compromised, was any data taken please? Was any personal data taken? Thanks...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries

Edugeek server security compromise

Hi,

When the edugeek server security was compromised, was any data taken please? Was any personal data taken?

Thanks

Thank Post
    When the edugeek server security was compromised, was any data taken please? Was any personal data taken?
    You don't know but you have to assume it was and take necessary action (change other passwords if using common one etc)

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    wish they would update us on that situation!!

Thank Post
    Yeah, what happened to:

"This article will be updated soon with information about what we have found and what we have done to prevent similar things happening again."

Still not been updated! Not expecting explicit details for obvious reasons but I'm just interested

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The number of people I have spoken to from here, who have told me they used the same password on this forum, other forums, and their banking sites, utterly astonishes me. Regardless of the situation of whatever happened to this site, we are supposed to lead by example.

I cannot believe a so-called professional in this field would act like that...

Im not particulaly over-conscious of security, but I do use a differnet username, email, and password on all the sites i frequent, regardless of how hard this may be to remember

6. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

DT2 (25th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use the same user name but tend to use different passwords. Email addresses vary depending on what the site / forum is ... but I would need to have dozens of email addresses / aliases if I went for a separate one on each site. I did used to do that ... but have consolidated down to just a few addresses ... only got 9 now!

LastPass is a saviour though ... for many sites I have gone back through, used LastPass to generate passwords and changed them.

Thank Post
    My Edugeek password is my mothers maiden name.

Thank Post
    but I do use a differnet username, email, and password on all the sites i frequent, regardless of how hard this may be to remember
    I'd would be amazed if you were using mutiple,strong passwords that are not following a pattern on more than 7 sites that you had to remember using your head - unless your name's DerrenB

I have my internet banking passwords/security code that not even the wife knows.

Then I have my gmail/facebook/twitter level password

then I have all my forums like edugeek etc as the same one

And then I use password for any I don't care about.
    Si

Thank Post
    all of my passwords follow a patter - <generic same bit but includes uppercase, lowercase and a symbol><site specific bit that follows a pattern based on the site>
    This makes them all strong unique passwords that are easy to remember.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    The number of people I have spoken to from here, who have told me they used the same password on this forum, other forums, and their banking sites, utterly astonishes me. Regardless of the situation of whatever happened to this site, we are supposed to lead by example.

I cannot believe a so-called professional in this field would act like that...

Im not particulaly over-conscious of security, but I do use a differnet username, email, and password on all the sites i frequent, regardless of how hard this may be to remember
    OK I'll bite, were you not the person that said they use a different near random password on every site, but then end up having to reset the passwords on all those sites as they are so obscure to remember

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Yeah, what happened to:

"This article will be updated soon with information about what we have found and what we have done to prevent similar things happening again."

Still not been updated! Not expecting explicit details for obvious reasons but I'm just interested
    Yer ditto. Maybe we're setup SEG

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    OK I'll bite, were you not the person that said they use a different near random password on every site, but then end up having to reset the passwords on all those sites as they are so obscure to remember
    for sites that I rarely use, yes, like a a forum I sign up to just new just to make one post, or a ecommerce site I will only use once a year, I will set a password that even I cant remember, and reset it whenever I need to access that site.

@SimpleSi, as above, why have to remember all the rest. Just the seven ones I use the most. The rest can stay as a random string until I need to access it again. Sure it takes an extra 2 minutes to press 'I forgot my password' wait for an email, click a link, enter the next password..

This is probably not any recommeded mehtod by the experts etc, but it works for me..

Thank Post
    i have a common username and password combo for personal forum signups, and an email that gets used for nothing else.

I have a username and password combo for work related forums/sites/accounts that is noted in the network documentation(the 'in case you get hit by a bus' archive), along with my work email.

Then i have related, but different usernames and passwords for my banking/paypal/personal email - related in such a way that if i can remember 1 i can work out what the others were, but they are related in such a way that the person trying to guess would have to know me better than anyone else in the world as the link is *very* personal to me, and very obscure!

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I have a memory much like rain man (nickname from previous employment) which allows me to remember number strings, but is also very apt in remembering different usernames and passwords.

hide your credit cards

DT

Thank Post
    the person trying to guess would have to know me better than anyone else in the world as the link is *very* personal to me
    I'll start off the guesses

webbedfeet?
    si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast