+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Jimmy Carr - Offensive jokes in General; Jimmy Carr is in the papers again for a joke about Down Syndrome. The joke was (someone feel free to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Jimmy Carr - Offensive jokes

Jimmy Carr is in the papers again for a joke about Down Syndrome.
    The joke was (someone feel free to edit it out if they feel it's not appropriate to read here):
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carr
    Why are they called the Sunshine Variety coaches when all the kids on them look the f***ing same?
    Now as always certain groups cry outrage, but in the DVD of his tour where he said this, he also made a VERY interesting point. He said that the audience are the regulators of comedy. If an act makes a joke and nobody laughs, that joke will be considered not funny and dropped from the act, if they laugh, it's in. So as an audience, people have the choice to laugh/leave/whatever. He also said that he tells jokes, no motive or reasoning behind them, he just tells jokes and thats it. If you are offended, that is your choice to be offended.

I'm not siding with what he said but the part about the audience is correct though. If he made that joke and not one single person laughed, he'd drop that joke. So to criticise him for saying it should be evened out by criticising the thousands who have seen him and laughed at it.

2. Thanks to MK-2 from:

dave.81 (24th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    JHe said that the audience are the regulators of comedy
    Unfortunately "people" are very lacking of intelligence now, hence why someone like him can make it to the top with jokes about fiddling children* and mocking people who are unable to defend themselves.

*I won't repeat the joke as even I believe it goes too far but its basically about how to get a baby to give u a BJ - Even chubby brown drew the line well before that!

Thank Post
    If you don't like his jokes don't watch him. Quite simple really.

Same goes for the PC brigade after Ricky Gervais.

Thank Post
    I dont think any comedy needs to be offensive to such an extent, yeah i will watch comedians like Jimmy Carr but i think, look at comedians like Lee Evans, Ross Nobel, Shappi Corsandi and the like, genuinly funny without being offensive

Thank Post
    having watched a comedian die on stage with the first half of a routine filled with innuendo and knob gags, and get thoroughly appreciated in the second half by switching to political satire. I can confirm that jimmy carr is right, the audience regulates comedy. The question is the limits of taste that the comedian in question is prepared to push.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Unfortunately "people" are very lacking of intelligence now, hence why someone like him can make it to the top with jokes about fiddling children* and mocking people who are unable to defend themselves.

*I won't repeat the joke as even I believe it goes too far but its basically about how to get a baby to give u a BJ - Even chubby brown drew the line well before that!
    Sorry, but sense of humour has nothing to do with intelligence. I personally find his jokes hilarious - in fact it is generally highly inappropriate or incredibly non-pc jokes that make me laugh the most! I cannot help it, it is the way I am made.

Thank Post
    Some people will be 'offended' and this will be used as censorship, especially when they are taken out of context. See Family Guy or take Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks. They wouldn't be as funny doing 'Lee Evans' Jokes.

If you don't like it, don't watch. If lots don't like it then they'll change the act.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People judge a comedian based on what he is known for...lee evans would never do jokes like jimmy carr, and jimmy carr would never do jokes like lee evans. Frankie Boyle + Jimmy Carr = Highly offensive - yet two of the countries most successful comedians. Lee Evans + Peter Kay = Not offensive - yet two of the countries most successful comedians.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pshuttle View Post
    Sorry, but sense of humour has nothing to do with intelligence. I personally find his jokes hilarious - in fact it is generally highly inappropriate or incredibly non-pc jokes that make me laugh the most! I cannot help it, it is the way I am made.
    Agreed. Everybody is unique. I wish people would stop trying to tell us how to live our lives.

11. Thanks to andyrite from:

pshuttle (24th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pshuttle View Post
    Sorry, but sense of humour has nothing to do with intelligence.
    Of course it does, it hasn't got everything to do with it but to say it has nothing to do with it is just plain wrong. Why else would a kids joke only be funny to a kid, or why do only simple people watch Jeremy Kyle?

Explain to me why babies giving blowjobs is funny? I'm sorry but no intelligent or civilised person could find that anything but offensive.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 24th November 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Of course it does, it hasn't got everything to do with it but to say it has nothing to do with it is just plain wrong. Why else would a kids joke only be funny to a kid, or why do only simple people watch Jeremy Kyle?
    HEY. Leave Jeremy out of this.

Thank Post
    I'm intrigued as to what Division the PC Brigade belongs to.

15. Thanks to JonWPS from:

andyturpie (24th November 2011)

Thank Post
    I found Jimmys first dvd or two to be funny but after that it seems he's pushing too hard to the point I find myself cringing rather than laughing as he goes too far. I haven't seen his latest DVD and probably won't bother.

Then again there's an audience for everything, I've never found Ricky Gervais to be funny but many find him hilarious

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    People judge a comedian based on what he is known for...lee evans would never do jokes like jimmy carr, and jimmy carr would never do jokes like lee evans. Frankie Boyle + Jimmy Carr = Highly offensive - yet two of the countries most successful comedians. Lee Evans + Peter Kay = Not offensive - yet two of the countries most successful comedians.
    It's also to what extreme do you take it. Both Peter Kay and Lee Evans swear in their stand up routines, Lee Evans quite a lot actually. To some people them swearing may be offensive even if the material isn't.
    I think (not an exact quote here) that Jimmy Carr also said on the same tour "my job is to make you laugh, to produce endorphins and make you happy. If you've laughed at my gig, job done".
    A comedians job is to make you laugh. If you laugh, he has succeeded.
    In the same way a jester might have been seen as an idiot; his job was to entertain, he entertained.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Lee Evans quite a lot actually.
    It's due to the area he was dragged up in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast