+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Jimmy Carr - Offensive jokes in General; They won't move on, they click the link and then complain. Or just complain for the hell of it. Now ...

Thank Post
    They won't move on, they click the link and then complain. Or just complain for the hell of it.
    Now we are talking about idiots who can't comprehend cause and effect

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Now we are talking about idiots who can't comprehend cause and effect

Si

I was always talking about people who can't comprehend cause and effect.

3. Thanks to X-13 from:

SimpleSi (25th November 2011)

Thank Post
    On page 4 i thought this was correct, now on page 9 even more so!

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I'm not commenting on the argument/discussion but this thread i think would class as comedy.

Thank Post
    When Billy Connolly started out, he was seen as radical, offensive and slated by 'critics' and such like for his jokes, his language and the topics in which he discussed.
    Now he's tame compared to current comedians.

Then thing with comedy seems to be to push the boundaries, and occasionally comedians get it a bit wrong and overstep the mark. But it's still comedy, it's not meant to insult or harm, it's sole purpose is to push boundaries and to entertain.

I find good old slapstick funny, and what could possibly be funny about people being hit in the face by a ladder, punching the wrong person in the face because your target ducked etc?
    And I'm not exactly boasting when I say I have a higher intelligence than the average (average what I leave up to interpretation).

So for someone to suggest that a person "Lacks intelligence" for finding a joke funny is considerably more insulting than any joke itself. The joke is not intended to insult or cause harm, but the comment clearly is. A comedian who makes a line-crossing joke does not Necessarily mean what he says, but a derogatory comment purposely aimed to belittle a certain group of people.... Well I'm afraid that is definately aimed at causing offense in someone.

As to 'insulting stereotypes', practically every female comedian i've seen on TV takes the piss out of the female gender, a lot of non-white comedians make fun of their colour, race, ethnicity, background among other things.

And to make sure I cover the possibility of disabilities, I was introduced to this young man by my sister, who has Cerebral Palsy herself, and both me, my sister, and most of my family and quite plainly the comedian and his audience find him hilarious.

Josh Blue at Last Comic Standing! - YouTube

(Name of comedian is Josh Blue)

I can and will laugh at just about everything. This is because I can make my own judgements about people and things. I was on Teamspeak last night with my eve mates, and there was all sorts of jokes, sexual innuendo's and insults being thrown about. I play eve with just about every variety of person you can imagine. And I can say I've heard just about every insult and joke you can make about every stereotype you can think of. Last week one of my German friends even quoted Fawlty Towers with "Don't mention the vwar!".

No comedian or comedy sets out to offend people, and comedians are probably some of the least-biased and prejudiced people on the planet, it is their intention to provide amusement, by which they get enjoyment out of it themselves. Every joke is likely to 'offend' someone in some way, not everyone will find every joke funny.
    So my way of life is that I'm not prejudiced in anyway, I hate everyone equally. Except maybe my wife, I possibly hate her a little bit more, but I'm assured the feeling is mutual, and that's why I'm 27 and I've been with her for 11 nearly 12 years.

6. 7 Thanks to Rydra:

captaincharisma (25th November 2011), Greenbeast (25th November 2011), Hightower (25th November 2011), LosOjos (25th November 2011), mthomas08 (25th November 2011), mwbutler (25th November 2011), X-13 (25th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Thanks for introducing me to him - that guy is awesome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Fantastic comedian, thanks for the link!

Thank Post
    Nice post Rydra, also reminded me about disabled comedians - Mock of the Week had an australian who had a prosphetic leg and they all joked about it. Your point about jokes is exactly that - it is a joke. And even some comedians are actually very smart especially when it comes to coming up with their own materials.

Again Rate up on that post for you!

Thank Post
    Sounds like we need to break out the cotton wool for some people.

People have the right to find anything offensive but it doesn't mean it should be banned, and I cant help but notice most of the people who are offended by jokes stereotyping people aren't from that stereotype themselves. I mean you can disapprove of someone painting stereotypes but I'm not sure how you can be seriously offended by it.

I would be offended if someone said something derogatory to me, if they said it to a friend I would disapprove, maybe be a bit mad, but wouldn't consider myself offended.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    No comedian or comedy sets out to offend people ... it is their intention to provide amusement, by which they get enjoyment out of it themselves.
    I've seen a DVD of Arj Barker (Dave from Flight of the Conchords) doing stand up and at one point, he pretty much said the same himself.
    You can either laugh with me, or you can laugh at me. I don't really care either way as long as you're having a good time.
    (I'm paraphrasing. I can't remember it exactly.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    Sounds like we need to break out the cotton wool for some people.

People have the right to find anything offensive but it doesn't mean it should be banned, and I cant help but notice most of the people who are offended by jokes stereotyping people aren't from that stereotype themselves. I mean you can disapprove of someone painting stereotypes but I'm not sure how you can be seriously offended by it.

I would be offended if someone said something derogatory to me, if they said it to a friend I would disapprove, maybe be a bit mad, but wouldn't consider myself offended.
    Ok, the point being made is that stereotyping is harmful and damaging to that group. What about racism? Is it ok to have racial stereotypes? No, of course it isn't. What about stereotypes against homosexuals? Women? The list could go on. What makes it ok to make a 'joke' out of vulnerable groups?

Put it this way - something is classed as a racist incident if anyone finds it offensive and it is related to race. So, if 2 black people were using the N word with each other and a white person overheard and complained to the police, those 2 people could be arrested and prosecuted for a race related crime.

That's the state of the law as it stands. Why should it differ simply because it is about a different grouping of people, and because it is for 'comedy'?

Quote Originally Posted by mwbutler View Post
    You don't know what was said in the rep comment so please don't stick your nose in something that has nothing to do with you.
    Err, you're posting on a PUBLIC forum, if something is written on here, I replied. Rather bizarre that you don't understand the concept of a public forum...
    Last edited by localzuk; 25th November 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why should it differ simply because it is about a different grouping of people, and because it is for 'comedy'?
    As it's been said way too many times in this thread, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. A joke is simply a joke.

Bet I get called an unintelligent, racist homophobe now...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbutler View Post
    As it's been said way too many times in this thread, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. A joke is simply a joke.

Bet I get called an unintelligent, racist homophobe now...
    And I'm saying that argument doesn't hold water. A joke is not simply joke. It has a knock on effect. Plus, you ignored the rest of my post. Its as if you are not actually reading the point being made - how is it ok for one part of society to get protection by law, and another side not be protected simply because its a 'joke'?
    Last edited by localzuk; 25th November 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Put it this way - something is classed as a racist incident if anyone finds it offensive and it is related to race. So, if 2 black people were using the N word with each other and a white person overheard and complained to the police, those 2 people could be arrested and prosecuted for a race related crime.

That's the state of the law as it stands. Why should it differ simply because it is about a different grouping of people, and because it is for 'comedy'?
    I don't personally see how the person in your example can be offended by that. If me and my friends decided to call each other "bros" or whatever they do nowadays are you saying a lady walking past could take offence and get us locked up for sexual discrimination? The only difference is the "n word" is considered to be offensive and derogatory towards black people, so they should be the people who can take offence from it, if they are fine using it then i don't see a problem.

I understand that your saying in the eyes of the law that's the case, but the laws not always morally right.

And i agree with the public forum, the difference between someone saying anyone who likes Jimmy Carr has a low IQ can be taken as an offence, just like if Jimmy Carr walked down the high street shouting his jokes out. People pay to go to his show or buy his DVD to see these comments, its optional. Just like all the god awful things on the internet that you can find if you look for it. It doesn't mean they should all be banned (unless they are popping up where kids can see them ofc)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    I don't personally see how the person in your example can be offended by that. If me and my friends decided to call each other "bros" or whatever they do nowadays are you saying a lady walking past could take offence and get us locked up for sexual discrimination? The only difference is the "n word" is considered to be offensive and derogatory towards black people, so they should be the people who can take offence from it, if they are fine using it then i don't see a problem.
    The purpose behind the law is to point out that those terms and that behaviour is wrong, whoever is using them or engaging in it. By making it that clear cut, it works to eliminate the terms from use and the negative historical connotations, and the continuing negative links between the words and some form of stereotype. Much like it is wrong for kids to be calling each other 'gay', even in jest in the playground, as it teaches that it is acceptable to somehow find homosexuality 'wrong'.

I understand that your saying in the eyes of the law that's the case, but the laws not always morally right.
    The law is crafted, generally, from public opinion. In the case of hate crime related law, it is very much based on the morals of the people - as the laws came about due to attacks on people and the reaction to those attacks.

Thank Post
    Rubbish. Methinks you have been reading too much Daily Mail.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast