+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 169
General Chat Thread, Jimmy Carr - Offensive jokes in General; Originally Posted by j17sparky Didn't say anything about what you are allowed to find funny, I simply said people who ...
  1. #31

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Didn't say anything about what you are allowed to find funny, I simply said people who find that sort of thing funny must not be intelligent. Where does it end? When does it stop being funny and become sick? What if I found it funny that someone raped your mum...

    Now the interesting thing will be if my post gets edited, deleted, I get neg rep, etc, as "everyone has the right to say whatever they please regardless of how sick it is and who it may offend", or at least that's what people are saying in this thread.
    There's nothing like a good sweeping statement to incite the thread.

    I presume that is an act of trolling?

    Stating that people who find it funny "must not be intelligent" is a ridiculous thing to say. In fact, I'd put it at more offensive than the original joke, and for this reason.

    The original joke is, just that, a joke. However, by the tone of that, and your subsequent posts, that statement is something you BELIEVE. That is a very scary thing, indeed.

    I would suggest that it was an highly unintelligent thing to post.

  2. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

    LosOjos (24th November 2011)

  3. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    876
    Thank Post
    381
    Thanked 114 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Didn't say anything about what you are allowed to find funny, I simply said people who find that sort of thing funny must not be intelligent. Where does it end? When does it stop being funny and become sick? What if I found it funny that someone raped your mum...

    Now the interesting thing will be if my post gets edited, deleted, I get neg rep, etc, as "everyone has the right to say whatever they please regardless of how sick it is and who it may offend", or at least that's what people are saying in this thread.
    You would be well within your human rights to find it funny though.

  4. #33

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,128
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 217 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I simply said people who find that sort of thing funny must not be intelligent.
    Based on what (other than your own personal taste)?

  5. #34


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Are you actually a Daily Mail editor?

    The difference between an offensive joke and being offensive, is offensive jokes are often said because the joker knows they're offensive, not because they genuinely believe them.

    "people who find that sort of thing funny must not be intelligent" is just plain offensive.
    Eh?

    "Are you actually a Daily Mail editor?" - pretty much point proven there tbh as playing the tabloid card is pretty much the least intelligent reply going.

  6. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    876
    Thank Post
    381
    Thanked 114 Times in 73 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    It just shows you that in todays society a few ill thought words carry more weight than physical actions against a person. Take Sepp Blatter, for instance and the furore which followed I actually felt sorry for what the guy was actually put through. I presumed he meant in an ideal world certain issues and wars of words could be put to bed with a handshake?

  7. #36

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Eh?

    "Are you actually a Daily Mail editor?" - pretty much point proven there tbh as playing the tabloid card is pretty much the least intelligent reply going.
    I think you'll find that the question "Are you actually a Daily Mail editor" was a comic line.

    You choose to only take that part of the post, and yet do not wish to comment on the rest of it?

    One thinks that you are hiding behind the argument of "least intelligent reply going" to stave off replying in an adult and educated way. Instead of a discussion, you seem to want to give and take offense, in any way you can.

    Would I be right in suggesting that??

  8. #37

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,684
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    833
    Offensive jokes and jokes which attack vulnerable people unable to protect themselves are 2 different things.

    People have the right to be offensive, but when it gets to the stage where people find it appropriate or acceptable to craft a joke about people with illnesses or issues then that is not just offensive, it is a whole new level of wrong.

    I have to agree with j17sparky, finding such things 'funny' or saying 'its a joke' doesn't make it ok. It just means you are lacking the ability to think about the subject matter properly, and maybe are lacking in intelligence. If I go and make a joke about some of our fallen soldiers is that ok?

    The same thinking is what many teasing children use when they decide to pick on someone in school for having glasses, or looking different. It is a behaviour that we are teaching our kids today is totally wrong, yet its acceptable for a comedian to do it?
    Last edited by localzuk; 24th November 2011 at 02:19 PM.

  9. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

    ButterflyMoon (25th November 2011), witch (24th November 2011)

  10. #38


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Now the interesting thing will be if my post gets edited, deleted, I get neg rep, etc, as "everyone has the right to say whatever they please regardless of how sick it is and who it may offend", or at least that's what people are saying in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neg rep
    Thread: Jimmy Carr - Offensive...

    Completely offensive. No need.
    There we go. Why is there no need? Am I not entitled to say what I please, and if you don't like it you don't have to read it?

  11. #39

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,452
    Thank Post
    1,439
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Eh?

    "Are you actually a Daily Mail editor?" - pretty much point proven there tbh as playing the tabloid card is pretty much the least intelligent reply going.
    It was a joke, obviously.

    I'll explain it to you as you clearly didn't get it: I was referring to the tone of your message and that you seemed to be implying that by various contributors to this thread stating that humour is a matter of personal taste, you can say whatever you want with no consequences. It is this tendency to blow things massively out of proportion that Daily Mail editors have become known for and so I say to you; are you actually a Daily Mail editor?

  12. #40


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I think you'll find that the question "Are you actually a Daily Mail editor" was a comic line.

    You choose to only take that part of the post, and yet do not wish to comment on the rest of it?

    One thinks that you are hiding behind the argument of "least intelligent reply going" to stave off replying in an adult and educated way. Instead of a discussion, you seem to want to give and take offense, in any way you can.

    Would I be right in suggesting that??
    No, like I said, eh? I didn't understand what was said, therefore I only replied to the bit I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It was a joke, obviously.

    I'll explain it to you as you clearly didn't get it: I was referring to the tone of your message and that you seemed to be implying that by various contributors to this thread stating that humour is a matter of personal taste, you can say whatever you want with no consequences. It is this tendency to blow things massively out of proportion that Daily Mail editors have become known for and so I say to you; are you actually a Daily Mail editor?
    I'm very confused. Either it is acceptable to say whatever you please or it isn't. Which is it? The simple answer is it is up to the audience, which pretty much everyone agrees on. I simply said where do you draw the line?

    My own opinion is if you think that the line is beyond paedophilia, mocking people with disabilities, (as localzuk suggested) maybe throwing in a bit of mockery of the dead soldiers, etc, I believe you are lacking in intelligence.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 24th November 2011 at 02:25 PM.

  13. #41

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If I go and make a joke about some of our fallen soldiers is that ok?
    The point Jimmy Carr was making was, if you thought up a joke about dead soldiers, you're well within your right. If you told it to 10 mates and they all said "WTF is wrong with you thats sick", again, you know where you stand. But if said 10 mates laugh profusely then what? Are you the person wrong for thinking of the joke, or are they wrong for laughing? Your audience found what you said funny.
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what he said in the joke, but that comment stands

  14. #42

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,452
    Thank Post
    1,439
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I have to agree with j17sparky, finding such things 'funny' or saying 'its a joke' doesn't make it ok. It just means you are lacking the ability to think about the subject matter properly, and maybe are lacking in intelligence. If I go and make a joke about some of our fallen soldiers is that ok?
    The difference is, a comedian wouldn't walk up to the family of a fallen soldier and make an offensive joke about it, they'd say it to their audience (who are there to see them because they find offensive jokes funny). It does not mean the audience are actually laughing at the joke itself (some might be, that's up to them) but most people will be laughing out of shock at what has been said; it's all about your target audience.

    The fact that pornography exists is because some people like to watch it and they do watch it. Those that don't like it, don't watch it. Same rules apply.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 24th November 2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

  15. #43
    captaincharisma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    224
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Funny cats and old people falling down...now thats comedy!

  16. #44

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,684
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    The difference is, a comedian wouldn't walk up to the family of a fallen soldier and make an offensive joke about it, they'd say it to their audience (who are there to see them because they find offensive jokes funny). It does not mean the audience are actually laughing at the joke itself (some might be, that's up to them) but most people will be luaghing out of shock at what has been said; it's all about your target audience.

    The fact that pornography exists is because some people like to watch it and they do watch it. Those that don't like it, don't watch it. Same rules apply.
    So, because he says it away from a vulnerable group, or people unable to defend themselves, it becomes ok? What has vicinity got to do with it? I don't get that argument. Why not extend it further, make racism an ok thing so long as it isn't done in front of people of different races?

    Either something is acceptable or it isn't. Being near someone it is about doesn't make it any more or less offensive and wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    The point Jimmy Carr was making was, if you thought up a joke about dead soldiers, you're well within your right. If you told it to 10 mates and they all said "WTF is wrong with you thats sick", again, you know where you stand. But if said 10 mates laugh profusely then what? Are you the person wrong for thinking of the joke, or are they wrong for laughing? Your audience found what you said funny.
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what he said in the joke, but that comment stands
    So, because 10 of your friends are lacking the ability to understand empathy or to figure out that laughing about dead soldiers is not cool, it is therefore ok? The comment doesn't stand - it simply means the audience is also wrong, or, the audience is reacting with laughter through shock, not through finding the joke funny.

  17. #45

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,452
    Thank Post
    1,439
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So, because he says it away from a vulnerable group, or people unable to defend themselves, it becomes ok? What has vicinity got to do with it? I don't get that argument. Why not extend it further, make racism an ok thing so long as it isn't done in front of people of different races?

    Either something is acceptable or it isn't. Being near someone it is about doesn't make it any more or less offensive and wrong!
    I completely agree that regardless of where or when these things are said, they are offensive. The fact of the matter is though, some people obviously find Jimmy Carr funny, he wouldn't be so successful if that wasn't true. Nobody is being forced to watch him or listen to his jokes. I am totally against bullying and racism; if you had told me Jimmy Carr had walked up to a disabled person in the street and started taking the mickey, that crosses the line in to bullying. For him to tell a joke based on a general stereotype of a group (as jokes are) to his audience is up to him, nobody has to listen to it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Jimmy Carr meets the GoCompare Man...
    By tech_guy in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th April 2010, 10:36 AM
  2. [Joke] Jokes by the bagful
    By Hightower in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th June 2008, 10:00 AM
  3. [Joke] Quick joke - Highland Burn
    By Ryan in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th May 2008, 02:56 PM
  4. [Joke] Friday Joke!
    By Elky in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 03:08 PM
  5. [Joke] Friday Joke
    By Paul_L in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11th April 2008, 09:00 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •