+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New computer desk - suggestions in General; I'd go Galant or a big table. Too many people who design "computer desks" have never been forced to use ...

Thank Post
    I'd go Galant or a big table. Too many people who design "computer desks" have never been forced to use their products.

I have an Ikea setup with two chunky A-frame trestles and a slab top. At work it's a generic fake-beech and box-steel desk in the largest size I could fit through the office door

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    TORSBY Dining table - chrome-plated/glass white - IKEA
    dual monitors, multifunction, s&s steelpad, not much space left
    What's that like for optical mouse reflection without a mousemat?

Thank Post
    Mount Industries - part of the Enham group who support disabled people in the community. I believe they were originally set up to support disabled servicemen. I've got several of their bits here in the office. Very solid.

Might be available to schools through central purchasing contracts. They are in the Hampshire catalogue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I have an Ikea setup with two chunky A-frame trestles and a slab top.
    At home I have an Ikea desk top with an H-frame trestle on one side, which I've then modified to add in shelves. I got the shelves cut to the exact size I wanted at Homebase - they'll generally cut stuff to size while you wait. Ikea desk tops are fine for home, but at work you might want something a little more scratch-resistant. The best thing is proper wood, which you can polish if it scratches. I did once manage to get some solid teak desk tops from a science classroom being refurbished, and you can always try your local skip as generally they'll have a section where they'll sell off any re-usable stuff they think people might want, but if you're buying something then your best bet is probably pine or ash workbench, generally sold in the kitchen department as kitchen worktop. Again, places like Homebase will cut that sort of thing to size for you. Ikea also do an adjustable-length leg that you can screw on to any desk top, not just an Ikea one. As you're in Ikea anyway, pick up a cable-management tray to go on the back underside of your desk to hold all your cables and power bricks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12