+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Switch off or cover up? in General; There is some work going on in my suite and the workmen have stated that they need to either cover ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts

Switch off or cover up?

There is some work going on in my suite and the workmen have stated that they need to either cover my server with polythene for a few hours, or switch it off and move it. Which would you think is the best scenario? It is an HP Procurve and it is about 18 months old.
    They are drilling the wall above it to install some trunking.
    Not keen on either scenario, myself

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You should switch it off and cover it up or move it. Fine dust gets in through the fans and is really nasty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    After the work men here... I'd move it if you can. It's a dreadful thing to have to do, but the mess here from a small amount of drilling was horrendous.

Thank Post
    I assume you haven't been told until the last minute so doesn't give you much time to do either? I agree with @SYNACK, but personally wouln't fancy moving it.

Edit: Actually thinking on from what@elsiegee40 has said, if you dont know the quality of their work it might be better to move it. I still have thoughts of builders standing on a shelf straddled over the computers drilling into the walls with everything falling straight into the computers below. They hadn't even attempted to cover anything.
    Last edited by penfold; 22nd November 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    having been one of those workmen...

whatever you do, turn it off. I would move it if possible, but failing that get the polythene and get the thing wrapped up like a christmas present. When it comes time to unwrap it, hoover it off first.

Thank Post
    I would agree turn it off and if you can move it then move it well out of the way. I would also turn off and move any other devices that are in the immediate area as well just to be on the safe side.

Thank Post
    I remember dealing with a school once where the workmen were knocking down a wall next to the servers, so they moved them. They moved them to the other side of the same wall! It didn't end well.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Yes, that is about where I had got to. I think I will turn it off and move it. What about the big switch cabinet on the wall - should I get them to cover it up too? Luckily there isnt any other stuff in there.
    I've got to move my computer too - I live behind a little half wall in what is currently the IT suite but will become the library in the fullness of time. For the next 3 weeks or so I will have no home *sniff*

Thank Post
    basically, if its bolted down, wrap it up, and wrap it up well. If it isn't, move it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    I moved everything out that I possibly could and everything else was swathed in polythene. The dust gets everywhere. I'd turn off the power in the cabinet to stop anything overheating and to stop any fans sucking dust in (Don't know what else you have in there beyond the switches)

As said earlier, vaccuum off the polythene before attempting to remove it, otherwise you may as well not have bothered. Don't forget the projector (if there is one) and whiteboard need wrapping too. I literally covered our projector with a taped bin bag.

Thank Post
    Yes, switch off and cover or move ANYTHING that has an air intake (not members of staff though - your personnel officer should be sorting them).

Fine dust will get into everything and I've seen kit die from repeated power-downs, brickdust and the like.

Thank Post
    Some workmen needed to drill one hole when we were having the aircon put in our server room. They said they would cover the rack, but there ended up being dust EVERYWHERE. Had to literally take each server apart and clean every component over half term. So move it as far away as possible is my advice

Thank Post
    As others have said, move what you can (personally, I'd remove the switches from the rack if it's only a couple) and smother everything else in a couple of layers of polythene and duct tape.

Also - take the power leads with you so no-one powers the cabiner on while still smothered and it cooks itself.

Thank Post
    Another vote for moving it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Wrap it up in polythene and then hoover it whilst you're at it stick it on the roof and hope for a lightning strike. {sarcasm}

I say certainly move it elsewhere with a switch in a cab turn that off and cover the cab up to prevent as much ingress of dust as possible.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast