+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, When the consequences of War come too close for comfort in General; Ok I know war is a horribly sensative and topical area, but would like this to not turn into a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

When the consequences of War come too close for comfort

Ok I know war is a horribly sensative and topical area, but would like this to not turn into a slagging match about the pro's and con's of the governments decisions please.

Some of you who have me on FB or MSN will have seen this the other week when it happened, but for those who don't and to complete the picture today is the day that a lad I grew up with gets laid to rest in the local community after being in the army and being shot in Afghanistan. This was his first tour of duty and he hadn't been in the army that long either.

This has affected the local community like nothing I have seen since Foot and Mouth which also devastated our local community, it really does bring home the true consequences of war. I have seen all the loss of life and other sad news on the TV but never really felt it would come this close, but it now has come too close for comfort, someone I know and was a great lad growing up is gone it is certainly a very sad time for all involved.

BBC News - Body of Pte Matthew Haseldin repatriated from Afghanistan

I feel very sad today over his loss despite not being close to him after we left the same school and went our different ways in life.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There was actually a quite good quote on Family Guy this week about war. I was half expecting a really bad joke out of it, but it sounded sincere for a minute.
    I can't quite remember but it was about a soldier at war isn't concerned about the decisions his government makes, or the opinion of the rest of the world, he's not concerned about his own safety, he's concerned about the safety of his squad.

i know it'll be jumped on as normal for family guy but it seemed.....i dunno, different to normal family guy quotes, like that was a real quote and not just a lead in to a joke.

i do completely agree, i guess in a way its like knowing that cancer is a horrible thing, but then when someone in your family has it, it hits home just how bad it really is. we can all imagine how bad war must be, but unless we've lost someone to it directly i think it's hard to honestly know how bad it can feel

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    My thoughts are with you and his family - although I haven't lost anybody to war it still doesn't stop me stressing every time a new casualty is announced. A friend of mine was "lucky" enough to escape an explosion with just a badly injured leg but the initial news he had been in an explosion was devastating.

Thank Post
    A friend of mine was sadly killed in Afghanistan a week before he was due to come home, it was crippling to know someone close to me had been killed. Everytime i hear that there has been another soldier killed i worry because of other friends i have that are stationed in the middle-east.

All i remember from the day i heard that David had been killed was feeling really sick for about 3 days, i remember going to meet his brother and dad at the pub about a week later, alot of the guys from his marine detachment were there and we all just sat quiet for about an hour because nobody knew what to say.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    There was actually a quite good quote on Family Guy this week about war. I was half expecting a really bad joke out of it, but it sounded sincere for a minute.
    I can't quite remember but it was about a soldier at war isn't concerned about the decisions his government makes, or the opinion of the rest of the world, he's not concerned about his own safety, he's concerned about the safety of his squad.

i know it'll be jumped on as normal for family guy but it seemed.....i dunno, different to normal family guy quotes, like that was a real quote and not just a lead in to a joke.

i do completely agree, i guess in a way its like knowing that cancer is a horrible thing, but then when someone in your family has it, it hits home just how bad it really is. we can all imagine how bad war must be, but unless we've lost someone to it directly i think it's hard to honestly know how bad it can feel
    That quote was from Quagmire dad (a former navy officer), bringing balance to the argument where (AFIK) Brian mentions the 1/2 million innocent people killed by 'our' forces (in relation to 2,000 9/11s). Surprised that Family Guy has managed 2 Pat Tillman gags in as many weeks.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 22nd November 2011 at 03:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the comments people, the service was very moving and a full military funeral at that, with a lovely set of thoughts from his friends and family as well as the ministers. The church was packed with every seat taken and a number standing, the local roads closed for a time as well and lots of people lining the streets as the procession went through the local town past the schools he attended and the church is next to the primary school that he and I went to. I saw the news teams filming the event so expect for those who get Look North news in Yorkshire to perhaps have some of it on the local news tonight on the BBC. I see the BBC News site has got a story on today about the funeral - BBC News - Pte Matthew Haseldin funeral in Giggleswick so wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't featured on some form of news tonight.

My thoughts go out to his loving family and close friends.

Thank Post
    I saw it on Look North last night, looked to be very moving, with the people of the town lining the streets for the procession

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    That quote was from Quagmire dad (a former navy officer), bringing balance to the argument where (AFIK) Brian mentions the 1/2 million innocent people killed by 'our' forces (in relation to 2,000 9/11s). Surprised that Family Guy has managed 2 Pat Tillman gags in as many weeks.
    Yea, Quagmire's dad post-op as a blond woman. It is often the way though that truely meaninful things are usually discussed in an indirect way through single lines in comedys or themes of imaginary science fiction shows as the topics are to heated or emotional to discuss directly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    I saw it on Look North last night, looked to be very moving, with the people of the town lining the streets for the procession
    I caught up with the Look North news on iPlayer (great thing iPlayer for that as I get North West news due to where I live yet it never covers anything in my local community as Look North covers my areas?!) it was indeed moving, from what I have heard from talking to friends the entire town was silent which to say it was market day and is usually very busy on a Tuesday lunchtime it was impressive if it was that silent.

The market place is a good walk from the church and the roads all the way along were apparently very similar which was impressive, I saw people lining up as I walked to the church which was about 3/4hr before the service. This shows true community spirit, a friend posted this on Facebook last night which I think sums up the town very well:

Growing up in a small town you hear a lot about "small town People" with "small town minds" and "small town gossip". Today proved that "small town" is another way of saying community, friends, family. People that will stick together & support each other in times of need. A couple of thousand people came together today to give Matt the send off he deserved. R.I.P. you did everyone proud serving our country x
    That was really moving when I read that last night and after seeing that news story I do think it sums the town up well and everyone's thoughts.

Annoyance of the day goes to our local paper who have still failed to publish anything on there website about the funeral, yet the other local areas which don't really cover our area as priority had it up yesterday late afternoon despite them being present at the event.

Hundreds at funeral of Settle soldier Matthew Haseldin &#40From The Westmorland Gazette) so well done to the Westmoorland Gazette full marks to you for getting something on your site on the day

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Have to re-post this from a military Facebook group I belong to.

It brings back memories of the 18 friends and colleagues killed at Warrenpoint in 1979.

Wootton Bassett Rocks! Wake Me Up When September Ends - YouTube

11. Thanks to creese from:

john (23rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Have to re-post this from a military Facebook group I belong to.

It brings back memories of the 18 friends and colleagues killed at Warrenpoint in 1979.

Wootton Bassett Rocks! Wake Me Up When September Ends - YouTube
    That's really good you've made me cry again its that moving for anyone who thinks grow up, we are a small and close community round here and everyone knows everyone within a friend of a friend (well near enough that way!) and growing up with people for 13 years makes things like this just as hard as if it was a close relative. My primary school had 70 kids in it from reception to y5 so everyone near enough new everyone really well so it does hit home. As was said by a friend yesterday it doesn't see 5 minutes since me and my sister were going round the corner to play with him and three others that lived on his street similar age to us and we all went to the same primary school, middle and high schools only splitting up for A Levels.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That's really good you've made me cry again its that moving

for anyone who thinks grow up,...
    No one has a right to think that. 32 years later I still remember the stunned, numb feeling I felt standing at the place they were killed within hours of the blast. It doesn't go away and nor should it. It's what makes us human.
    Last edited by creese; 23rd November 2011 at 11:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful video. I wish we could have shown it a couple of weeks ago in assembly - it's quite inspiring as well.
    I have no direct involvement with military bereavement and with a close member of the family in Afghanistan I hope it stays that way. It's horrible seeing "A British soldier has been killed in Helmand province..." and waiting to see if the name read out is that person. I know we'd know beforehand but it still doesn't stop your heart ending up in your mouth.
    I can't begin to imagine how it feels to lose someone you know like that let alone someone in your family. I can remember the people I was with in infant school as if it was yesterday and even if I hadn't been in touch since, I would still be absolutely gutted at their loss. Then you have to start thinking how selfish you are for feeling like that when their direct family and friends come into it...

I don't think it's right to start arguing about the rights and wrongs - we have to take things as they come and look at what's important, and each time a tragedy like this happens what's important is that family.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Breaks my heart every time I hear it on the news - especially as most of the casualties are around the age of my sons. So sorry, John

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread