+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Time to clean the office I think! in General; Its nice to have a monday morning where your not rushed off your feet by a heap of work, requests, ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Time to clean the office I think!

Its nice to have a monday morning where your not rushed off your feet by a heap of work, requests, problems or the dreaded hardware failure if your unlucky but I started my day just like that and decided I starteed here in January and i'm yet to give this office a really decent tidy up and sort the piles of folders and paper on the many shelves and draws, 30min into my cleanup I find this
    Time to clean the office I think!-photo.jpg

I have now found 3 of them including Barcode programs v2.0 Altek, BBC master series microcompputer welcome and utilities disc and one simply branded Fuji, I know the office needed a clean but this is taking the pee

Thank Post
    Is that a 5.25" diskette? Haven't seen one of them since the old Macintosh we had. Then again, we have laserdisc in our office.

Thank Post
    We found a laptop the other month, it was on the top shelf and it had last been used in 1996. It had a very early version of Windows on it, (can't remember the version).

Thank Post
    we've had a tidy up in our office and found a whole box of windows NT4 disks and an original tosh satellite with what looks like a 10" square screen!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep its a 5.25", I took it into the IT lesson next door to which the kids were amazed by the size and even more when I explained they only have 1.2MB of storage and a year 7 askineg "was it from the 50s" We have a machine still in use by a member of staff at home, a viglan contender which I found some warrenty details on during the cleanup. They asked us about upgrading it last week along with their ergo laptop :P

Thank Post
    see, kids today will never understand how fast and how far we have come, if they don't realise where we were not very long ago...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm only 22 so its not something I had experience with, had my first computer when I was around 13 as a family Christmas present.

Thank Post
    hey, i'm only 31, but i cut my teeth at the age of about 8 on bbc micros and bbc basic so did battle with all of this arcane and archaic technology. (my first home computer was a zx81 with the unbelievably expensive 16k ram pack!)

Thank Post
    Take em to Bletchley Park into the Colussus room, that's a real education in IT

I think those floppies need to be put in a frame in your office, I saved a BBC from here a few years back so the oldest thing in here now is a 386 laptop...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do have memorys of in year 2 playing a game on some form of computer, an RPG Text game I suppose you could call it you had to go throught a house and perform certain tasks, I renember something to do with a wolf and the characters grandmother? Ring any bells for anyone?

EDIT UPDATE-
    http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/bestrest.html#granny
    Found it

Thank Post
    I found a couple of laptops in a cupboard in a classroom the other week, one hadn't been used since 96 or so, the other was an acorn laptop. I didn't even realise acorn made laptops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice! I have a manual for the Acorn RISC OS3 in my drawer, but the best Ancient Artifact I've found here was a digital camera with a floppy drive in the side.

Thank Post
    Before i started this job i was working installing projectors and we had to run a cable though a cupboard, and when we opened the cupboard we found several sony mavica fd200 cameras, a complete bbc micro rig (including the dual floppy drive) and an acorn with the external hardrive (not sure if it was the 40 or the 100mb). I desperately wanted to take them away and give them a better life but i was unable to find anyone to ask!

Thank Post
    I proudly have my 5" disc of BBC Repton bluetacked to my office wall along with a photocopy of my software mentioned in Acorn User! My technical manual shelf also has a copy of the invaluable WIMP Programming for All by Alan Wrigley (for RISC OS 2)

At home I've got a working RISC PC 600 (StrongARM 233, 586 card, 128MB RAM, Viewfinder - the works!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    see, kids today will never understand how fast and how far we have come, if they don't realise where we were not very long ago...
    Our head of music (who used to work in the BBC) done an assembly earlier this year where he showed varying stages of media storage. Went from reels, to vhs/betamax, to dv/minidv, floppy disk, cd, bluray, then down to compactflash, xd, sd and finally microsd. showing the difference in size from a reel to a microsd and saying that in just 20/30 years we've gone this far, and the amount you can store on the fingernail sized card is far more than the face sized reel

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast