+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, SSD Drives in General; Afternoon, Looking to buy a SSD Drive to put Windows 7 HP on and most likely Battlefield 3.. Does this ...

Thank Post

SSD Drives

Afternoon,

Looking to buy a SSD Drive to put Windows 7 HP on and most likely Battlefield 3.. Does this look any good? Don't really want to spend any more than that to be fair.

OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD - Cheap SSD | Ebuyer.com

Don't know much about SSDs but i've currently got a 1tb OCZ HDD, just use this as storage space I guess. Is it as simple as just the usual boot off the SSD and install Win7 onto it? Hopefully can get a few decent responses before 5pm tonight so I can get free delivery by Tuesday..

Ta!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Use it as you would a hard disk, personally if you are going to install games I would go for something slightly larger, maybe 90 or 120gb. Saying that I run a third of my network on 64gb drives and the rest on the same partition size.

Thank Post
    Thinking about it I probably won't install games on it - I've never seen one used before and don't know the difference in speed really but heard they're like lightning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a heavy user and have an OCZ Vertex 2 60gb - it is indeed like lightning but as a very heavy user, I have to move my profiles, page files etc to my raid0 hdds.

Thank Post
    I've just been trying to revive a dead one and have finally accepted it has had it. Having done a bit of research, it does seem their claims of ultra reliability over mechanical drives is a bit over-rated.

Thank Post
    Ive just fitted a crucial m4 128gb to my laptop and its much better it took approx 2:50 to boot and load firefox on old drive. Cloned same install it now takes 50secs again ive moved swap file to d and all documents etc. Its an old laptop so only supports sata2 speed reliability no idea but it was a good upgrade windows hd rating is 6.7 overall 4.7 dragged down by video card

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Laserblazer: that from an XP system? A lot of the "TRIM" tools available for XP aren't exactly as good as they should be, as a direct result I wouldn't see an SSD used on anything less than win 7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im tempted to go for an ssd ive been reading alot about the seriously noticable speed up on OS startup and gaming. Now is not the best time with a hike in storage prices due to flooding in Thailand, around 20-25% increase from only a few months back!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Laserblazer: that from an XP system? A lot of the "TRIM" tools available for XP aren't exactly as good as they should be, as a direct result I wouldn't see an SSD used on anything less than win 7.
    The issue I had was on a Vista machine but the problem was it wasn't detetected by the BIOS and this does seem to be fairly common fault, if the help forums are to be believed.

Thank Post
    60Gb is a good size for a boot OS and basic applications (say office/media players/other little programs) but the moment you go into games that take up 8GB+ you need to think about using something larger.

I use a 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 in my PC here at work which is enough for my VMs + all the programs I use and I have one of the 500GB + 4GB SSD Segate hybryd drives in my home PC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i have a corsair force3 60gb and its superb.
    i dont put the majority of games on there just because of size, i use a normal sata drive for that. but for win7, office, apps etc its blazing

Thank Post
    +1 here for SSD drives. I've just got a 120gb Kingston drive, read and write are around 550mbps. Lightning quick as you put it is probably spot on. Compared to a mechanical drive it boots up/shuts down in no time at all. I use it for games mostly but any smaller games that don't really need the extra speed I can just install on another mechanical drive but bigger games like BF3 and Crysis load a lot faster with the SSD drive. They are expensive, but worth it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread