+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Rabbits in General; You bred them you look after them! :P In all seriousness, if you let them breed then you have a ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You bred them you look after them! :P

In all seriousness, if you let them breed then you have a duty of care to look after the animals (that goes for all of you mean sods ). Trouble with rabbits is they become fertile very quickly and at a very very young age so they need to be seperated early. And yes, they will happily breed with their mother!

Have you asked local schools? They might want a pet rabbit or two. Oh and we need pictures!

2. Thanks to CAM from:

Fuzzz (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    I knew I could rely on you lot for helpful, sensible answers! LOL! I guess it's my own fault for putting this up on a Friday afternoon really?

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Firstly - separate your daughter's rabbits so this doesnt happen again!!
    When you say you have tried giving them away - what did you do? You could try your local Freecycle - animals frequently appear on ours?
    The rabbits each have their own hutch. "I don't know how it happened Daddy" was the quote. She's 13, she knows exactly how it happened!!

I've put signs up in the two local pet stores and the vet, put it as my status on Facebook, done an "All Staff" email and now put a message on here. I'm not putting them on Freecycle as really you're not allowed to put anything alive on there. Freecycle is for stuff which would otherwise end up at the local dump (and I do realise that just opens up another avenue for jokes.....) If you get them on your Freecycle then your moderators are more generous than mine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    You bred them you look after them! :P

In all seriousness, if you let them breed then you have a duty of care to look after the animals (that goes for all of you mean sods ). Trouble with rabbits is they become fertile very quickly and at a very very young age so they need to be seperated early. And yes, they will happily breed with their mother!

Have you asked local schools? They might want a pet rabbit or two. Oh and we need pictures!
    Or take them to a vet and get them 'fixed' people who breed animals needlessly irritate me, it is much harder with rabbits. If you can't keep them, can't give them away and don't want them take them to the vet and have them put down. Its the kindest thing to do, while your there, get the ones you are keeping fixed.

Thank Post
    Nice to see that people who don't know the full circumstances behind my financial and family situation can judge what I'm doing.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem is the age from which rabbits breed. People think "Ohhh he's a baby! He can't breed yet!" then it starts building it's nest...

Had this with someone else's rabbit that we were looking after. It started behaving weird a week before it was booked in for fixing, we asked the vet and she said it could be pregnant even though it was in a cage alone. Turns out my brother's girlfriend let the female rabbit share a cage with a male thinking they were too young and didn't tell us that a month ago they tried it on. We were expecting baby rabbits within a few days! Thankfully it was a phantom pregnancy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    Nice to see that people who don't know the full circumstances behind my financial and family situation can judge what I'm doing.
    If you could not afford them to start with why did you get them in the first place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If you could not afford them to start with why did you get them in the first place.
    How do you know I couldn't? Exactly what I mean about not knowing the situation! I have been left with too many rabbits and am trying to do the right thing. I don't like the fact that I am having to do this, but that fact is that I do have to. I don't need people on here making me feel worse about it. Wish I hadn't bothered asking.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    let them out into the wild?
    Hmmmm...take it away Fry...Rabbits-fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-trolling-7e8642.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rabbits-stupid-fry.jpg  

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Take then to a pets at home store. Provided you show the parent rabbits they'll take them and sell them :-)

11. Thanks to nephilim from:

Jawloms (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    let them out into the wild?
    Gah! No, don't do that - that's how many places gained a rabbit problem in the first place. Rabbits aren't even really native to Britain, although they were introduced a fair while ago (late middle ages) and seem to fit in to the ecosystem here okay. They are causing havoc in Australia where they compete with the native animals for grazing.

I was at university at UVic in Canada which had a rabbit population problem - there were enormous, lop-eared, extra-large bunnies all over campus. Some domestic rabbits had been let loose at some point to breed with the wild rabbits (campus legend said an animal rights raid on a science lab during the 60s, but campus legend also said a nearby hollow of trees was an old native American burial ground, etc) and the general effect was that you were living on the Teletubbies set. They were cute, and attracted interesting predators (seeing a large hawk whisk a bunny away was a daily occurance) but made a mess of the campus and didn't really get enough to eat so were in pretty poor shape.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do you know I couldn't? Exactly what I mean about not knowing the situation! I have been left with too many rabbits and am trying to do the right thing. I don't like the fact that I am having to do this, but that fact is that I do have to. I don't need people on here making me feel worse about it. Wish I hadn't bothered asking.
    Well sorry, you said in the first post that you could not afford to keep them and you did not take the preventitive step of having them fixed at the outset, from this information I drew conclusions. I feel strongly that pets not used for controlled breading should be fixed as part of their basic care. It prevents more unwanted pets and stops them from roaming about as much/getting killed on roads.

I have contacts with a charity here in NZ that fosters all sorts of pets and finds them new homes. I have seen all types of animals dumped and abused because people have not had their pets fixed and don't think of the conciquences. If you were in NZ I probably could have swung the fostering of them and half the cost of fixing the ones that you kept.

You asked for other ways of dealing with the situation and I provided one, sometimes the best option for them is simply to have them put down if there are no other solutions.

It is good that you are trying to help and its ashame that your rabits got out of hand but you did ask for solutions and that is what you got. I posted the first one before you posted the circumstances of the breeding which is unfortunate I was not initially trying to be judgey anyway, it was just worded poorly.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Jawloms (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thank you Synack. We got two rabbits and they were in seperate hutches which we got from Freecycle. My daughter at some point put them together in the garden without my knowledge. She's 13 and knows exactly what happens! She got an absolute roasting and has lost pocket money for the last four months to contribute towards their care. Now they have grown of course so they cost even more. The adults have not been done as that too costs money whereas keeping them apart doesn't. I assure you I have done my very best to sort this situation out, and thought I'd done what was necessary to prevent it in the first place by putting a wall between them! I am desperately trying to get rid of them now as they are getting to the age where the babies will start breeding and I don't want that!!

@nephilim - thanks, I'll try that as that's where the initial two came from anyway!
    Last edited by Jawloms; 18th November 2011 at 01:52 PM.

16. Thanks to Jawloms from:

SYNACK (18th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,692 Posts
    I knew I could rely on you lot for helpful, sensible answers! LOL! I guess it's my own fault for putting this up on a Friday afternoon really?

The rabbits each have their own hutch. "I don't know how it happened Daddy" was the quote. She's 13, she knows exactly how it happened!!

I've put signs up in the two local pet stores and the vet, put it as my status on Facebook, done an "All Staff" email and now put a message on here. I'm not putting them on Freecycle as really you're not allowed to put anything alive on there. Freecycle is for stuff which would otherwise end up at the local dump (and I do realise that just opens up another avenue for jokes.....) If you get them on your Freecycle then your moderators are more generous than mine.
    They must be - our freecycle often has animals that need rehoming and I found a lovely home for my mum's dog that way last year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    They must be - our freecycle often has animals that need rehoming and I found a lovely home for my mum's dog that way last year.
    Our mods won't even allow vouchers or tickets for shows etc as if you give them to someone else, once they've used them they are still going to end up in a bin somewhere so no rubbish has been prevented, just moved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Our mods won't even allow vouchers or tickets for shows etc as if you give them to someone else, once they've used them they are still going to end up in a bin somewhere so no rubbish has been prevented, just moved.
    How utterly ridiculous, after all something you give away will *eventually* end up as rubbish in some form or another, surely

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast