+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Still on the Quest for a new PC in General; Originally Posted by gshaw Put the bit of extra for the Ti, much better performance over the standard 560 I've ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Put the bit of extra for the Ti, much better performance over the standard 560

I've got a personal vendetta against Asus after their awful build quality a few years back so would go for this board, again very good performance for the price...

MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX.. | Ebuyer.com
    Really? ASUS are the one brand that I've never had any problems with at all. If not Asus, though, I'd say Gigabyte were the best alternative.

OP: in all honesty, much as I hate to go against AMD again (my rig is all green), nVidia have been doing better with their drivers recently where AMD have had a lot of problems for game launches, and nVidia cards gnerally seem to offer smoother performance than AMD - AMD cards will sometimes spike on a particular frame, so although the FPS numbers are similar, you get a better visual experience with nVidia at the moment. If you've always had nVidia in the past, you may as well stay with what you know.

Also, buying a mobo now to upgrade soon is daft, because it's such a big job to swap a mobo out - just spend the few extra pennies now and save yourself the hours of rebuilding the rig and redoing Windows etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Really? ASUS are the one brand that I've never had any problems with at all.
    Me neither. Asus make the best Intel motherboards out of all of the manufacturers, so it would be a shame to discount them. The mATX Maximus IV Gene-Z and Gene-Z/Gen. 3 are excellent choices if you overclocking.

Thank Post
    true, i think most of the items will be going onto my christmas wish list so present money will at least subsidise them a little

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Me neither. Asus make the best Intel motherboards out of all of the manufacturers, so it would be a shame to discount them. The mATX Maximus IV Gene-Z and Gene-Z/Gen. 3 are excellent choices if you overclocking.
    RoG boards are pretty awesome i have to admit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Really? ASUS are the one brand that I've never had any problems with at all. If not Asus, though, I'd say Gigabyte were the best alternative.
    Yup, I had an A8N-SLI deluxe board that had chipset fan issues, Asus took ages to come up with a replacement part then never bothered to send it out... in the end I just stuck a fan controller on it and hoped for the best but after getting that level of service on their (at the time) top of the range board I vowed never to touch their stuff again.

As I said, it's a personal vendetta not something based on the overall market but I still wouldn't recommend their stuff out of principle and so far the MSI is doing a great job

Thank Post
    RE motherboards; read the reviews. Personally I've always disliked MSI. Asus have in the past not been without their problems but my current ASUS original i7 socket motherboard is solid as a rock. When I was shopping for it Gigabyte were absolute garbage even though I had always been a fan...

Point is every manufacturer has its good and bad series of boards. Read the reviews before you buy as unless a dozen of us all have the board you are looking at we can't really comment on whether it is good or not as we might have had the 1 bad/good one in the batch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    RE motherboards; read the reviews. Personally I've always disliked MSI. Asus have in the past not been without their problems but my current ASUS original i7 socket motherboard is solid as a rock. When I was shopping for it Gigabyte were absolute garbage even though I had always been a fan...

Point is every manufacturer has its good and bad series of boards. Read the reviews before you buy as unless a dozen of us all have the board you are looking at we can't really comment on whether it is good or not as we might have had the 1 bad/good one in the batch.
    Yup for sure, went for the MSI as it's in the A-list for pretty much every PC-review mag I read at the mo

Thank Post
    a quick update, i know there not the very best graphics card out there but i have just been given a brand new, still sealed in the box XFX ATI 6770 1GB for free....so thats saved me 90-100ish quid for now.

Thank you cousin who accidentally clicked "add to basket" on Aria.co.uk twice without realising

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    a quick update, i know there not the very best graphics card out there but i have just been given a brand new, still sealed in the box XFX ATI 6770 1GB for free....so thats saved me 90-100ish quid for now.

Thank you cousin who accidentally clicked "add to basket" on Aria.co.uk twice without realising
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Even the fastest cards available are only twice as powerful, and they will certainly cost you more than £0!!

Thank Post
    I just need to save up for a processor board and ram bundle

Thank Post
    The 6770 is a great mid range card - may need dropping to 1680x1050 or so in some games but free is good!

Thank Post
    at the moment it will only be at 1280x1024 anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got the 5770 - i.e. the same bloody card apart from a minor decoding block - and at that resolution you will be more than fine with that card. Anything from the last couple of years should run at High, if not V High (possible exception: BF3) and anything older than that, you can go all the way. They're also incredibly easy to overclock...

Thank Post
    sounds like ive dropped lucky on this one then, cant wait to get it running, im currently playing Dead Island and at the moment the graphics lag really badly sometimes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12