+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, My ICT Teacher cannot mark my homework in General; The teacher could have just e-mailed other teachers in the LEA, or tech support, or just EVERYONE, to ask if ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The teacher could have just e-mailed other teachers in the LEA, or tech support, or just EVERYONE, to ask if they had knowledge of C#.

Yeah, it's something extra they have to do for one piece of work, but it's better than failing them because they don't understand it. And less time consuming than a course to learn it.

They could also get the person who helps, if anyone replies, to teach them a bit as they're going through so if it happens again they have an idea of what sort of grade it should get.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess it could be along the lines of extraordinary ideas need extraordinary proof in science.

Yes I am comparing teaching some teachers the fundimentals of making a simple program to explaining string theory or realitivity to a heavily educated individual as from what I have had the horror to witness it can be that much of a jump from what they know.

It all boils down to what the student was actually asked to produce, a shiney media presentation is probably more along the lines of a Movie, powerpoint or keynote presentation. If the pupil did something completely different than what was asked for then they desrved the fail.

Its like being asked to get a bucket of water to put out a fire but comming back with a bucket of petrol because its 'better'. Of course the petrol is 'better' if your in an invader zim kind of mood but it does not meet the requirements. The terms of the assignment may have been broad in which case this would not apply but as far as I can tell we don't know.

Thank Post
    Not read the replies, but the head of IT here used to work for GCHQ, he's well versed in programming and even has one of our more driven IT students creating something in microsoft XNA for his project, he runs visual basic + pascal classes for year 9s upwards as extra curricular classes and a specific "computing" choice for 6th formers.

More teachers need to be like him, fantastic teacher and very driven, easy to talk to and have a laugh with unlike the majority as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I guess it could be along the lines of extraordinary ideas need extraordinary proof in science.

Yes I am comparing teaching some teachers the fundimentals of making a simple program to explaining string theory or realitivity to a heavily educated individual as from what I have had the horror to witness it can be that much of a jump from what they know.

It all boils down to what the student was actually asked to produce, a shiney media presentation is probably more along the lines of a Movie, powerpoint or keynote presentation. If the pupil did something completely different than what was asked for then they desrved the fail.

Its like being asked to get a bucket of water to put out a fire but comming back with a bucket of petrol because its 'better'. Of course the petrol is 'better' if your in an invader zim kind of mood but it does not meet the requirements. The terms of the assignment may have been broad in which case this would not apply but as far as I can tell we don't know.
    The thing is, the project here was checked before he started to ensure his plan would be accepted. It was, he got copies of the mark scheme etc... What you're asked to produce by a teacher is not necessarily what you should produce - you should produce something that fits the mark scheme and hits all the points within it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The thing is, the project here was checked before he started to ensure his plan would be accepted. It was, he got copies of the mark scheme etc... What you're asked to produce by a teacher is not necessarily what you should produce - you should produce something that fits the mark scheme and hits all the points within it.
    Ok, yes if it was agreed upon it is a different matter and the teacher should be made to wear a dunce cap for a week or so as punnishment.

Thank Post
    Surely though most schools don't teach IT, they teach ICT which is a far more end-user oriented subject? Most users don't care about SANS and the like either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_1999 View Post
    Most users don't care about SANS and the like either.
    It's hard to care about something you have no concept of.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Surely though most schools don't teach IT, they teach ICT which is a far more end-user oriented subject? Most users don't care about SANS and the like either.
    I'd say most school's "ICT" lessons are in fact nothing more than basic office admin lessons in this day and age.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't care about population demographics, but I was taught all about it in geography. I don't care about integrals and polynomials, but I was taught about them in maths. Or shakespeare in English. Not 'caring' about something is not a reason not to teach it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456