+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, gcse exams in General; hi everybody well its finally came my real gcse's start tomorrow English Literature 1st then maths on Friday im very ...

Thank Post

gcse exams

hi everybody
    well its finally came my real gcse's start tomorrow English Literature 1st
    then maths on Friday im very scared

i know your thinking this has nothing to do with IT but i need some
    tips on how to stay calm and confident :cry:
    can anyone help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: gcse exams

Thank Post

Just bear in mine that if you fail your GCSEs, it isn't the end of the world.

Qualifications can be gained at any stage of your life. You can retake your GCSEs at college and even afterwards at nightschool, so don't think failing is dreadfully bad or anything, because it isn't.

It's not like this is a once in a life time opportunity, you'll have endless opportunities to get these qualifications.

Don't worry about looking bad in front of your mates. It's not important what they think. You are not taking your GCSEs to impress them and if they think you are "thick" if you fail any of them, that is their problem, not yours. One of my mums friends failed every single one of her GCSEs four times over (and I really mean every one) then passed them all the fifth time. She is now a social worker and from what I hear, is highly respected.

So all in all, don't worry...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good luck Callum.

Just remember, if all else fails put you undies on your head and a pencil up each nostril and scream "Wibble" at the top of your voice.

Trust me ... you won't have to worry about exms for a while ;-)

Thank Post

Oh and ignore the teachers when they try and make you nervous as they "emphasis how important these exams are". They want you to pass your exams first time because it makes them look good as a school (or as a teacher). They don't want you to pass them somewhere else purely for that reason. The reality is as I stated above in my last post.

Of course it's always better for you to pass them first time around, but only because it will save you time in the long run, no other reason.

I'll admit now, I failed a vital subject first time around (it was English actually). I passed it in college the next year though at the same time as taking my computing qualification at A level. So all is not lost .

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by callumtuckey
    i know your thinking this has nothing to do with IT but i need some
    tips on how to stay calm and confident :cry:
    can anyone help
    Best advice i can give (and i've been through lots of exams!) is stay calm. Read the questions carefully. Nothing says you have to do the questions in a particular order. You can leave space and start another question. Giving a good answer on a question you know will improve your confidence. Get an early night, get up early and do a bit more revision (if you have a chance). After the exam dont discuss it with friends, the whole "what did you put for x", or dwell on any questions/answers you werent confident of. And most of all, never, never, never, read through your notes again after the exam, you will be more critical on yourself than any examiner. Just move on to the next one. It's past, nothing you can do, why stress.

Thank Post

Put it this way when I did Business studies for GCSE I got an 'E' as of next half term I have to teach it as a subject! Concentrate on Maths and English Lang, they are the big two that people look for.

Thank Post

What Lee said; READ THE F****** QUESTIONS!!!! Almost no doubt that failing to do this is the easiest way to throw marks away. It helps if you spell your name right too! Seriously, it would amaze you how many scripts I see without names or numbers.

Thank Post

Another couple of tips callum

1) put an answer down for every question - if at first ur not sure, leave it alone and think about it first as the answer may come to u later (sometimes the answer can be in another question!! rare but does happen) and make sure there is an answer to every question.. dont leave a question un answered.

2) if in doubt - guess - within reason of course! - but you never know - that gues could be the right answer..

3) never change an answer once u have written it - unless you are REALL REALLY sure the new answer is correct.

Thank Post

thanks everyone i feel a lot better now ready for the big day

Thank Post

get up early and do a bit more revision
    Do not do more revision!!!!

Have a good breakfast instead

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    get up early and do a bit more revision
    Do not do more revision!!!!

Have a good breakfast instead

regards

Simon
    Yeah you gotta have a good brekkie. I always used to read MY brief / important point notes before the exam. Depends on the time of the exam, distance to travel etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Oh and ignore the teachers when they try and make you nervous as they "emphasis how important these exams are". They want you to pass your exams first time because it makes them look good as a school (or as a teacher). They don't want you to pass them somewhere else purely for that reason. The reality is as I stated above in my last post.

Of course it's always better for you to pass them first time around, but only because it will save you time in the long run, no other reason.

I'll admit now, I failed a vital subject first time around (it was English actually). I passed it in college the next year though at the same time as taking my computing qualification at A level. So all is not lost .
    I don't think nost teachers are "trying to make you nervous" when they stress the importance of the exams - that's not to say it won't make people nervous but in the days when I was a teacher I'm sure I was more nervous as exams approached than many of the people I taught. Exams shouldn't make you nervous but they are important.

Of course you can take them again later (I work in an FE college and huge numbers of our students are doing just that!) but, as you say, if you can pass first time then it gives you more time later to do other things.

Thank Post

well i have done my English exam today yippee it was easy i new all the questions on the paper i got a few tips of the i.c.t technician just before we went in.
    thanks everyone for all your posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread