+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New Graphics Card in General; Originally Posted by 3s-gtech I would disagree - due to the large amount of texture throughput, faster memory will be ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I would disagree - due to the large amount of texture throughput, faster memory will be better. A large amount of (much) slower frame buffer will not be much use - if you run the card up to resolutions that'll need those textures, the card will be bogged down anyway.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't factoring in anything else other than the ram size. I didn't take into account the speed.

Like said, it would depend on the game which is better, 2gb of slow or 1 gb of fast. Personally I'd probably take the fast - but then I run 1920x1200 so maybe that wouldn't be the right choice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    its all starting to make more sense now looks like the 450nvidia will be fine then, i am slightly tempted to sell my current gaming PC and buy a new one tho, or sell the bits and buy a upgrade bundle from overclockers or something
    i thought of part upgrading, but but it turns into a nightmare. get a new gaming bundle from OcUK, will your current psu power it all and possible new gfx card? will your case fit the larger cpu cooler? is your hard drive ide (i dunno, some might still be) and new mobo has no ide?
    in the end i bought pieces for a whole new pc as it was too much of a faff to ensure part x from system 1 works with part y from system 2

Thank Post
    case should fit everything and its a 750watt modular so it will all power fine, ive got a 60gb SSD for the OS and a SATA II 1tb for storage. im fairly sure my DVDRW is sata aswell so that will all be ok, im toying with the idea of buying a pre-built now, might be easier in the long run and sell the current set-up as-is, well exept the SSD

Thank Post
    My main PC is probably a little higher specced than yours (I7 950 with 12gb of memory), but I have a radeon 5870 1gb.

I run Bf3 on a mix of Ultra and High settings at 1920x1080 with no stutter, and have even run it while running eve on 2nd screen, and TS/IRC/web browser on the 3rd screen.

I do notice that the GPU is maxing out quite a lot with BF3, but I don't have anything that can check the Gfx memory usage on the fly at the moment to tell you the stats on that.

There's basically no difference between the Radeon 5000 and 6000 series other than 3d support, maybe the odd bit of tweaking for memory or clock speeds, and base memory is higher in the 6000 series.

As to Nvidia or ATI, Nvidia drivers are still a shade better than the ATI's for polish and useability. But I've had 3 ATI cards now, and they've all been rock solid. The balance between the two varies with different games, and different times of the year as each vendor brings out a tweak to drivers or hardware to bump ahead of the other.

You can't really go wrong with either one is the honest answer.

As to mem quantity vs mem speed, I would go for memory speed personally. The clock speeds from GDDR3 to 5 was a huge jump, and it's better to get your data in/out quicker than it is to have more of it sat there waiting to be processed IMO. The 6770 also has a faster GPU clock speed, which will DEFINATELY help. Mine has been maxing out recently at 800MHz with BF3.

Thank Post
    Is it true that the Core i series have an extra core per chip locked away just for extra graphics processing? ive heard vaugeries about it but not really anything definate and ive not researched it

Thank Post
    The Core i3 in the Sandybridge (2*** series) CPUs have a built in graphics core. It is only active when you're using onboard graphics, and it's not much use for gaming, but fine for media and desktop use.

As far as your CPU goes, the Q6600 is an overclocking dream too remember - you can get a lot more life out of it by running at 3GHz and above, and it's easy to achieve.

Thank Post
    yeah i've had it running overclocked but then the fan on my "big" cooler went and i had to put the stock on back in, so its running standard again, i might order a Arctic7 or something when i get a gfx card unless i opt for the new PC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12