+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The M5 crash in General; Still say the Monster Raving Loony Party had the best road safety policy - all cars to be fitted with ...

Thank Post
    Still say the Monster Raving Loony Party had the best road safety policy - all cars to be fitted with a spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I think the issue is not the system buts its advertised use, and the inevitable result that people will rely on them and pay even less attention to the road.

I haven't got a problem with something which saves my life as a back up to my own ability but something which parks my car for me!... What about when the system breaks, which is will at some point as cars are left out in the rain, snow, salted roads, dodgy mechanics, etc. And what happens when you have learned to rely on the system which saves your life but that pothole you drove over 5 minutes ago has knocked it out of action?
    In which case i refer you to @LosOjos

Agreed, except for the automatic breaking - the point is a machine can react much quicker than you can, but you still need to react!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    We are only human.
    This was kinda my point earlier about the automatic braking systems... If all cars were computerised and automatic, rather than controlled by a bag of meat, would these sort of accidents happen?

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This was kinda my point earlier about the automatic braking systems... If all cars were computerised and automatic, rather than controlled by a bag of meat, would these sort of accidents happen?
    Yep, because any system is only as good as the person who programmed it, and where there are humans, there is error....

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    No, another type would happen. That's life.

Thank Post
    Possibly with this one, yes, because by the looks of it there was a very dramatic change in conditions, you can't break the laws of physics no matter how clever the computer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Possibly with this one, yes, because by the looks of it there was a very dramatic change in conditions, you can't break the laws of physics no matter how clever the computer.
    But smoke wouldn't be of any interest to a computer... It isn't seeing as we see.

Thank Post
    But smoke wouldn't be of any interest to a computer... It isn't seeing as we see.
    It's more braking ability and change of direction I was meaning, no the smoke.

Thank Post
    Still say the Monster Raving Loony Party had the best road safety policy - all cars to be fitted with a spike in the middle of the steering wheel.
    This is one policy that i actually agree with .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's more braking ability and change of direction I was meaning, no the smoke.
    Still not getting it. What would the car be braking for? Not to mention, some systems like those I talk about being developed 'talk' to each other, so basically they don't need a braking distance - the vehicle in front broadcasts 'i've stopped in the middle lane, at GPS co-ordinates X,Y,Z' and other cars know that...

Thank Post
    From the reports I've seen, anti Jack-knife devices would have helped, but in some cases it seems the jack-knifed lorries helped save some people.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I'm wondering if somebody put something like tyres into the bonfire and they didn't notice. I've seen this before and IMHO you would have no hope in hell in seeing anything through the smoke that kicks off.

But as mentioned above - the system is only as good as the person who programmed it.

For example see here
    Last edited by glennda; 7th November 2011 at 04:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    But as mentioned above - the system is only as good as the person who programmed it.

For example see here
    Mercedes Auto Brake Fail - YouTube
    Well, yeah, you have to turn it on...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I'm wondering if somebody put something like tyres into the bonfire and they didn't notice. I've seen this before and IMHO you would have no hope in hell in seeing anything through the smoke that kicks off.
    Any smoke mixed with fog would do. After all that is what Smog is. One local teacher said it was "like driving through emulsion paint". I think the shock of hitting that would delay any reaction and braking.

Thank Post
    Still not getting it. What would the car be braking for? Not to mention, some systems like those I talk about being developed 'talk' to each other, so basically they don't need a braking distance - the vehicle in front broadcasts 'i've stopped in the middle lane, at GPS co-ordinates X,Y,Z' and other cars know that...
    IMO we're still a long way off that. Hell even the basic reversing sensors are worse than useless. I drive my mum and dads cars quire regular and they both have these sensors which IMO do more harm than good. They go off for no reason whatsoever, and then don't go off when there is actually something there. If I put any faith in them I'd have crashed into all sorts.

These auto parking doodars look pretty pointless too.I'm yet to see one in action but all the adverts for them show a small hatchback being auto parked into a space which you could fit a bus in.

One day yes, but not quite yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast