+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Hot in Jan???? in General; Originally Posted by laserblazer Personally, anything with a flight in excess of 4 hours has to be a two week ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Personally, anything with a flight in excess of 4 hours has to be a two week holiday as I need a few days to recover.
    a few days to recover from a 4hr+ flight? Just curious if that Jetlag due to time zone difference or just the stress / tiresomeness of the flight, as eastern europe / canaries is about a 4+ hr flight and timezon difference doesnt differ much..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Go for Egypt - it is awesome - and cheap. We went on one of these adventure holidays and there were 18 of us and no one got sick. You just have to be a bit careful.
    You can either choose to do the culture bit, with temples and pyramids etc or you could go to one of the resorts - I would choose Hurgada as it has a real old town and isnt just huge hotels. They often run day trips to the Valley of the Kings etc as well

3. Thanks to witch from:

Millgate (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually the nile cruise is nice to do, get a few decent stops and you can enjoy a lot that Egypt has to offer

If you are going for the cuisine whilst there - order something called "Chrou Choulash" (not sure on the spelling but it is a soft CH like in the German word ich). Absolutely fantastic crab dish

Thank Post
    Another vote for Egypt, have a look at El Gouna, 30 mins from Hurgada, like others have said steer clear of their water, used bottled to brush your teeth and keep well hydrated, no ice in drinks etc. common sense stuff really.

6. Thanks to Vegas from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    a few days to recover from a 4hr+ flight? Just curious if that Jetlag due to time zone difference or just the stress / tiresomeness of the flight, as eastern europe / canaries is about a 4+ hr flight and timezon difference doesnt differ much..
    It's a bit of everything. Most of my travel is to Portugal but we get an early flight, which means getting up at a stupid time. It's a 90 minute drive to the airport, 30 minutes or so parking, 30 minutes getting through security, 60 minute wait for the flight, 150 minute flight, 30 minutes getting through security etc., 30 minutes sorting out the car and 60 minutes driving. I just find it very tiring at my age and it takes a while to adjust. It is worse if there's a time difference.

Thank Post
    I've always thought about the Orient Express - but the ticket prices are murder!

9. 4 Thanks to korifugi:

creese (4th November 2011), Earthling (4th November 2011), sidewinder (4th November 2011), witch (4th November 2011)

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Still an 10-11 hour flight though and it is getting more and more expensive.
    I've never paid more than slightly over 500 for a flight, one stop. Accommodation is reasonable, really good for me as I stay either in the Township or with an African family. Petrol is cheap also. I took a family of 4 out for a meal for about 25.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    I've always thought about the Orient Express - but the ticket prices are murder!
    But if you have a little Belgian with a moustache with you, you'll know who did it.

12. Thanks to creese from:

witch (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    Did no one else find this funny enough to Thank the poster?

LMAO'd at it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I've never paid more than slightly over 500 for a flight, one stop. Accommodation is reasonable, really good for me as I stay either in the Township or with an African family. Petrol is cheap also. I took a family of 4 out for a meal for about 25.
    We are hijacking this thread a bit but you will be hard pushed to get a return flight with a stop off for less than 650 now and you need to know your way around to stay in a township. As for travel costs, go in a white taxi, they are really cheap. We always spend a few days in Durban with my sister in law and that is good value but places like the Kruger are many more times as expensive as they were 10 years ago.

Getting back to holiday places, if you want somewhere different try equatorvillage.com - Equator Village

15. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    We are hijacking this thread a bit but you will be hard pushed to get a return flight with a stop off for less than 650 now and you need to know your way around to stay in a township. As for travel costs, go in a white taxi, they are really cheap. We always spend a few days in Durban with my sister in law and that is good value but places like the Kruger are many more times as expensive as they were 10 years ago.
    I looked recently and found flights for 520. Had to postpone due to too much work at home.

I wouldn't recommend the township bit, just saying that's what I do. I'm well known in that area. Not a fan of wildlife parks. But there are plenty of friendly towns around. If anyone wants help they can PM me for more info.

Thank Post
    Leave for Morocco on Boxing Day for a week . It's our Christmas present to each other, plus a load of Tesco Club Card points lol. All inclusive in a very nice hotel in Marakesh.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123