+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unison and other Unions Strike 30/11/2011 in General; Hi guys, So as expected, Unison members have voted for industrial action in the row over pensions. BBC News - ...

Thank Post

Unison and other Unions Strike 30/11/2011

Hi guys,

So as expected, Unison members have voted for industrial action in the row over pensions.

BBC News - Unison members vote for pension strike

I am VERY pro union membership, so I fully intend to carry out the wishes of the majority.

How many of you are doing the same? And, how supportive are your school and SMT?

Thanks for your comments.

2. Thanks to Gardinho from:

jdoyle (14th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Typical why can't the unions get their acts together and all do this together.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I won't be striking, the unions are being completely unrealistic with their demands especially in light of the offer the other day.

So, no, I don't agree with this at all!

5. 3 Thanks to localzuk:

Gatt (4th November 2011), nephilim (4th November 2011), zag (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I won't be striking, the unions are being completely unrealistic with their demands especially in light of the offer the other day.

So, no, I don't agree with this at all!
    I'm in a non-striking union and I agree, the offer does look pretty good, although I'm too close to retirement to benefit.

7. Thanks to laserblazer from:

nephilim (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The offer put on the table already was not the worst offer in the world, in fact I thought it was entirely reasonable!

As for striking, it would only be as effective if all of the unions (GMB, Unison, etc) got together on this and did the strike (like NASUWT and NUT did for teachers).

Thank Post
    I agree the offer is good. As they say, it's way better than most private sector pensions.

That's irrelevant though. If you join a union, you are expected to do what the majority vote for. Even if you voted against industrial action. The whole idea is for everybody to unite together for the good of each other, not just our own individual circumstances.

10. Thanks to Gardinho from:

creese (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    I agree the offer is good. As they say, it's way better than most private sector pensions.

That's irrelevant though. If you join a union, you are expected to do what the majority vote for. Even if you voted against industrial action. The whole idea is for everybody to unite together for the good of each other, not just our own individual circumstances.
    Which is why I'm not in a union. Also, it is illegal for a union to punish members for not striking, just so people know. Discipline by your trade union : Directgov - Employment

Thank Post
    In Unison, but won't be striking.

Thank Post
    You say the wishes of the majority but only 29% of unison members could be bothered to vote how is this the majority?

Hi guys,

So as expected, Unison members have voted for industrial action in the row over pensions.

BBC News - Unison members vote for pension strike

I am VERY pro union membership, so I fully intend to carry out the wishes of the majority.

How many of you are doing the same? And, how supportive are your school and SMT?

Thanks for your comments.

Thank Post

"The result was a 78 per cent majority, with 245,358 in favour and 70,253 against, on a turnout of only 29 per cent of the 1.1m members balloted."

Ministers urge Unison to rethink strike - FT.com

When only 29% are balloted that is definitely not a majority

Gadddammit! I got beaten to it

Thank Post
    I'll probably go on strike, it's pay-day after all, break the week up nicely. Yeah, it's loosing a day's pay, but it also gives us two the chance to show the teaching staff, just how necessary we are, and how limited their 'technical' skills are.......some of them can put a 13amp plug in a socket, but most of them can't switch the socket on as well.

Especially if something should 'coincidentally' break overnight 29/30th.

So, yes, I didn't vote for it....I didn't vote......but I'll take the day, tyvm.

16. Thanks to Earthling from:

dalsoth (6th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Just to follow up, the topic is not whether or not you agree with what the unions are asking for (I believe there are already threads about this), it is whether you are prepared to carry the democratic wishes of your union. And, how supportive your school are over such issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have to ask.....If you are in a Union and don't agree with what they are doing and then decide not to strike with the whole Union, why are you actually in it? By which I mean, if you aren't acting on mass, you are then paying contributions for what seems to me to be nothing at all.

Chris

19. 6 Thanks to CPLTD:

Gardinho (4th November 2011), laserblazer (4th November 2011), nephilim (4th November 2011), notalot (7th November 2011), stevenlong1985 (4th November 2011), Tech1 (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    I have to ask.....If you are in a Union and don't agree with what they are doing and then decide not to strike with the whole Union, why are you actually in it? By which I mean, if you aren't acting on mass, you are then paying contributions for what seems to me to be nothing at all.
    Legal protection is the normal reason to be in a union for most school staff. Which is why I advise people to join Voice rather than one of the 'big' unions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post

Chris
    I think most people pay for the legal cover should something happen.

22. Thanks to tommej from:

Pyroman (4th November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast