+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unison and other Unions Strike 30/11/2011 in General; I fully disagree with what they are doing, IMHO in most cases they are worse than the banks and the ...
    Thank Post
    I fully disagree with what they are doing, IMHO in most cases they are worse than the banks and the Government.

The offer they were given was fair and more than suitable, especially given the current economic climate. You can't demand more and expect the government to keep giving without risking cuts elsewhere...i.e. jobs

2. Thanks to Robz from:

laserblazer (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now I'm in a quandary, as I voted no because I don't think it will achieve anything - certainly the last strike I went on with Unison got me nowhere, and personally I can't afford to strike.

29% is a pathetic turnout but if you didn't want to strike, you should've sent your No ballot in. Lack of participation is no excuse.

I was tempted to join Voice anyway, I might go now tbh.

4. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Gardinho (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    I have to ask.....If you are in a Union and don't agree with what they are doing and then decide not to strike with the whole Union, why are you actually in it? By which I mean, if you aren't acting on mass, you are then paying contributions for what seems to me to be nothing at all.
    Chris
    A lot of people join a Union for the legal assistance that is available, especially in schools. I joined a non striking Union to do this others chose a different one.

Thank Post
    I have to ask.....If you are in a Union and don't agree with what they are doing and then decide not to strike with the whole Union, why are you actually in it? By which I mean, if you aren't acting on mass, you are then paying contributions for what seems to me to be nothing at all.

Chris
    People will just want to cover themselves for legal costs or support for their own needs, should they have any issues at work.

It defeats the whole purpose of union membership.

I'm fairly sure if people stand to gain personally from what the unions are fighting for, they wouldn't pass up any improved offers given the chance.

7. Thanks to Gardinho from:

CPLTD (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    That's irrelevant though. If you join a union, you are expected to do what the majority vote for. Even if you voted against industrial action. The whole idea is for everybody to unite together for the good of each other, not just our own individual circumstances.
    Meh. I joined the union for the legal protections I gain from that. They get my X amount of money a month in payment for that. I did not join them to go on strike. So no, I won't be striking.

Thank Post
    It defeats the whole purpose of union membership.
    No it doesn't. They get X amount of money from me over my working life that may or may not ever be used to defend me against anything. It's more like an insurance policy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    No it doesn't. They get X amount of money from me over my working life that may or may not ever be used to defend me against anything. It's more like an insurance policy.
    Why do you think we work 37 hour weeks? Why do you think we get holidays? Where do you think the NHS came from?

All of this was achieved by the trade unions and old Labour.

If Thatcher had her way back then, we'd still be sending kids up chimneys. The rich would have everything, and everyone else would have nothing. We'd be working 80 hours per week for next to nothing, with no rights at all.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    29% turnout is a joke. I think something like 22% actually voted in favor out of the entire union membership. I don't think thats democracy. Although I did see on bbc news comments that the conservatives are only in government on a 30% vote

I will never strike, its just pure greed by public sector workers.

We all have to do our bit in times of Austerity and I am fully prepared to take a cut in my pension if it means my kids wont have to pay off our deficit for all their lives.

Thank Post
    I have to ask.....<snip>Chris
    I'm in Unison purely for any protection they may be able to give me in case of any false accusations or allegations that may be made against me students.

Touch wood, I haven't needed them....yet.

As a Union, I think our local, county, whatever, branch suck the big one, as I believe young people say these days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    If Thatcher had her way back then......The rich would have everything, and everyone else would have nothing......with no rights at all.
    Doesn't matter what Thatcher wanted....it's happening now anyway! And last I checked the Union bosses were rich too....
    Last edited by Robz; 4th November 2011 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robz View Post
    Doesn't matter what thatcher wanted....it's happening now anyway!
    You're missing the point. It was a defining point in our country's history for the working class man.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but to me that is no reason to ever join a proper Trade Union......Why not use your contribution to find yourself better legal cover! I thought a Union was for the good of the collective and the fact you have power in numbers as and when you challenge a decision.....

As you have seen in this case, the Government of the day can normally "Legally" make any changes they so decide and instead all you are left with is a compromise. Never what you started with in the first place......

Chris

16. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Gardinho (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    You're missing the point. It was a defining point in our country's history for the working class man.
    In that sense I agree, but modern unions are not as representative of the workforce as they used to be. IMHO most have a second agenda that serves themselves and not us. Several of the Unions have "declared war" on the government when all the government is doing is trying to get us out of Labours mess.

Thank Post
    Maybe you would have a different opinion if you were working directly with little brats.

Or if you''d seen colleagues have their career destroyed by false accusations.

Thank Post
    I thought a Union was for the good of the collective and the fact you have power in numbers as and when you challenge a decision.....
    This is my point.

20. Thanks to Gardinho from:

CPLTD (4th November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast