+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 290
General Chat Thread, Unison and other Unions Strike 30/11/2011 in General; Originally Posted by TechMonkey There are a few groups that shouldn't strike. Those within (I think) 3 years of retiring, ...
  1. #271

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,608
    Thank Post
    647
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Rep Power
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    There are a few groups that shouldn't strike. Those within (I think) 3 years of retiring, anyone about to go on maternity leave shouldn't as it will effect them hugely. There are others, such as those in redundancy proceedings, but I can't remember fully.
    The effect on redundancy of striking is that you lose one days pay/worth of contribution and that appears to be it.]

    Ben

  2. #272

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Generaly you should still get paid in the event of 'forced closure', unless you're self employed.
    I'm self-employed.

  3. #273


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    I'm self-employed.
    I was self-employed and it's great to have all those tax breaks; with a decent accountant I was claiming pc upgrades, travel 40p per mile IIRC) and a proportion of my rent, electricity and phone bill. I then entered into a contract with the local authority, who couldn't give me those things but promised me a half decent wage and a decent pension. They are now reneging on that contract, and I don't feel that is fair. You won't get paid if the school is closed, but from my experience as self-employed you are probably doing ok for yourself.

  4. #274
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Not sure about everyone else but there's definitely a bunch at our place that never got ballot papers, including myself so the whole of unisons 1.3 million members can't possibly have voted unless it wsa just us they didn't ballot

  5. #275


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Not sure about everyone else but there's definitely a bunch at our place that never got ballot papers, including myself so the whole of unisons 1.3 million members can't possibly have voted unless it wsa just us they didn't ballot
    I didn't get balloted either.

  6. #276
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    So all the facts and figures that unison are pushing about "yes" votes are complete BS then by the looks of it?!

    Why does that not surprise me?

  7. #277

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    It has been said before, but for those who need reminding:

    The union ballots are as democratic as our Local, General, and European elections are. Not everyone is obliged to vote; sadly most don't bother. We elect Governments on the same sort of percentages as the unions are claiming gives them the mandate to strike. If the masses don't vote, they don't really have any grounds to complain about the results.

    I am opposed to strike action in general, but there is a risk that failing to support the unions now in standing up to the Governments plan to tax pensions (increased contribitions are going to the Treasury, not to fund pensions) will mean that every time the Government is short of a few £ they will come back & chip a bit more of their employees pensions, or maintain the pay freeze another year, or even start cutting public sector wages as happened in Greece & Ireland.

  8. #278
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    It has been said before, but for those who need reminding:

    The union ballots are as democratic as our Local, General, and European elections are. Not everyone is obliged to vote; sadly most don't bother. We elect Governments on the same sort of percentages as the unions are claiming gives them the mandate to strike. If the masses don't vote, they don't really have any grounds to complain about the results.

    I am opposed to strike action in general, but there is a risk that failing to support the unions now in standing up to the Governments plan to tax pensions (increased contribitions are going to the Treasury, not to fund pensions) will mean that every time the Government is short of a few £ they will come back & chip a bit more of their employees pensions, or maintain the pay freeze another year, or even start cutting public sector wages as happened in Greece & Ireland.
    It wasn't that i didn't want to vote, i didn't have a ballot sent

  9. #279

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,683
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    I thought that if people didn't get balloted, but should have, then that makes a strike illegal? One of the rail unions got into trouble over this a couple of years back IIRC, and their strike action was deemed illegal by the High Court.

    I'd say tell your employer that you weren't balloted and get them to pass the info up the chain.

  10. #280
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 140 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    My boss knows as she was also one of the ones that wasn't balloted

  11. #281

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,608
    Thank Post
    647
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Rep Power
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I thought that if people didn't get balloted, but should have, then that makes a strike illegal? One of the rail unions got into trouble over this a couple of years back IIRC, and their strike action was deemed illegal by the High Court.

    I'd say tell your employer that you weren't balloted and get them to pass the info up the chain.
    If the union sent out ballot papers to all their members how would they know that some didn't arrive? if they didn't get a return from someone they would just assume that person didn't want to vote either way I guess?

    I don't think it would be feasible to have a 100% return even if it was a nil return from someone.

    Ben

  12. #282

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,683
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If the union sent out ballot papers to all their members how would they know that some didn't arrive? if they didn't get a return from someone they would just assume that person didn't want to vote either way I guess?

    I don't think it would be feasible to have a 100% return even if it was a nil return from someone.

    Ben
    The point is more confirming that they have sent them all out. The rail union I talked of hadn't sent them out to all members, having 'forgotten' that some exist...

  13. #283

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,812
    Thank Post
    1,476
    Thanked 592 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    JFI - the school I'm at on Wednesday is going to be open for non-striking staff so I'll be in whatever happens.

    Si

  14. #284

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,608
    Thank Post
    647
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Rep Power
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The point is more confirming that they have sent them all out. The rail union I talked of hadn't sent them out to all members, having 'forgotten' that some exist...
    Fair enough it was more of a I wonder than anything else.

    Ben

  15. #285

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,608
    Thank Post
    647
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Rep Power
    421
    Seems with the train one that yes there were glaring issues such as sending ballot papers to signal boxes that had burnt down.

    Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Blue Skies and other ideal solutions
    By GrumbleDook in forum Blue Skies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14th May 2010, 10:05 PM
  2. Homeplugs and Freeview PVR for £30!
    By mrlegs in forum Hardware
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd January 2008, 04:05 PM
  3. Senteo and other votting systems
    By chrisa in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 01:03 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th April 2007, 06:10 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th March 2007, 07:03 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •