+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unison and other Unions Strike 30/11/2011 in General; Originally Posted by TechMonkey There are a few groups that shouldn't strike. Those within (I think) 3 years of retiring, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    There are a few groups that shouldn't strike. Those within (I think) 3 years of retiring, anyone about to go on maternity leave shouldn't as it will effect them hugely. There are others, such as those in redundancy proceedings, but I can't remember fully.
    The effect on redundancy of striking is that you lose one days pay/worth of contribution and that appears to be it.]

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Generaly you should still get paid in the event of 'forced closure', unless you're self employed.
    I'm self-employed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    I'm self-employed.
    I was self-employed and it's great to have all those tax breaks; with a decent accountant I was claiming pc upgrades, travel 40p per mile IIRC) and a proportion of my rent, electricity and phone bill. I then entered into a contract with the local authority, who couldn't give me those things but promised me a half decent wage and a decent pension. They are now reneging on that contract, and I don't feel that is fair. You won't get paid if the school is closed, but from my experience as self-employed you are probably doing ok for yourself.

Thank Post
    Not sure about everyone else but there's definitely a bunch at our place that never got ballot papers, including myself so the whole of unisons 1.3 million members can't possibly have voted unless it wsa just us they didn't ballot

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Not sure about everyone else but there's definitely a bunch at our place that never got ballot papers, including myself so the whole of unisons 1.3 million members can't possibly have voted unless it wsa just us they didn't ballot
    I didn't get balloted either.

Thank Post
    So all the facts and figures that unison are pushing about "yes" votes are complete BS then by the looks of it?!

Why does that not surprise me?

Thank Post
    It has been said before, but for those who need reminding:

The union ballots are as democratic as our Local, General, and European elections are. Not everyone is obliged to vote; sadly most don't bother. We elect Governments on the same sort of percentages as the unions are claiming gives them the mandate to strike. If the masses don't vote, they don't really have any grounds to complain about the results.

I am opposed to strike action in general, but there is a risk that failing to support the unions now in standing up to the Governments plan to tax pensions (increased contribitions are going to the Treasury, not to fund pensions) will mean that every time the Government is short of a few £ they will come back & chip a bit more of their employees pensions, or maintain the pay freeze another year, or even start cutting public sector wages as happened in Greece & Ireland.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    It has been said before, but for those who need reminding:

The union ballots are as democratic as our Local, General, and European elections are. Not everyone is obliged to vote; sadly most don't bother. We elect Governments on the same sort of percentages as the unions are claiming gives them the mandate to strike. If the masses don't vote, they don't really have any grounds to complain about the results.

I am opposed to strike action in general, but there is a risk that failing to support the unions now in standing up to the Governments plan to tax pensions (increased contribitions are going to the Treasury, not to fund pensions) will mean that every time the Government is short of a few £ they will come back & chip a bit more of their employees pensions, or maintain the pay freeze another year, or even start cutting public sector wages as happened in Greece & Ireland.
    It wasn't that i didn't want to vote, i didn't have a ballot sent

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought that if people didn't get balloted, but should have, then that makes a strike illegal? One of the rail unions got into trouble over this a couple of years back IIRC, and their strike action was deemed illegal by the High Court.

I'd say tell your employer that you weren't balloted and get them to pass the info up the chain.

Thank Post
    My boss knows as she was also one of the ones that wasn't balloted

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I thought that if people didn't get balloted, but should have, then that makes a strike illegal? One of the rail unions got into trouble over this a couple of years back IIRC, and their strike action was deemed illegal by the High Court.

I'd say tell your employer that you weren't balloted and get them to pass the info up the chain.
    If the union sent out ballot papers to all their members how would they know that some didn't arrive? if they didn't get a return from someone they would just assume that person didn't want to vote either way I guess?

I don't think it would be feasible to have a 100% return even if it was a nil return from someone.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If the union sent out ballot papers to all their members how would they know that some didn't arrive? if they didn't get a return from someone they would just assume that person didn't want to vote either way I guess?

I don't think it would be feasible to have a 100% return even if it was a nil return from someone.

Ben
    The point is more confirming that they have sent them all out. The rail union I talked of hadn't sent them out to all members, having 'forgotten' that some exist...

Thank Post
    JFI - the school I'm at on Wednesday is going to be open for non-striking staff so I'll be in whatever happens.

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The point is more confirming that they have sent them all out. The rail union I talked of hadn't sent them out to all members, having 'forgotten' that some exist...
    Fair enough it was more of a I wonder than anything else.

Ben

Thank Post
    Seems with the train one that yes there were glaring issues such as sending ballot papers to signal boxes that had burnt down.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread