+ Post New Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Unison and other Unions Strike 30/11/2011 in General; Originally Posted by witch Your wish is my command... Errr..........I wish I was in Hawaii. <waiting>...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Your wish is my command...
    Errr..........I wish I was in Hawaii.

<waiting>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    It is ultimately about compromise and keeping promises. There *will* be some compromise ... but the lack of promises means that there is little trust on either side. The new offering is not too bad ... it hits some staff harder than others but that could be stomached by most if only we believed that this was not just being shoe-horned in along with other money saving solutions because people can almost get away with it right now with limited challenge.
    I'm afraid that it isn't ultimately about keeping promises. It's ultimately about money. Promises are for sweethearts and children, not for politics. This comes down to the cost of the scheme, and as I have pointed out, there is a shortfall (despite the spurious claims of the unions) and that shortfall needs to be addressed, ideally at no cost to the hard-pressed taxpayer.

The argument, which I've seen regularly, that public sector workers are taxpayers too, so that's all OK, simply doesn't make sense. Every public sector worker is a burden on the finances of the nation, regardless of their job, and the amount they return via tax doesn't make up the amount they take in salary and pension. If it were possible to make up the shortfall with public sector workers' taxes, then why doesn't the government just employ everyone?

Thank Post
    I dont know if people are aware of this.... and at the moment I am trying to get confirmation from my Unison Branch, but staff facing redundancy may lose 1 years redundancy pay if they go ahead with strike action.

My school is closing August 2012 - NUT and ATL have told teachers at my school not to strike as this would affect final redundancy payments (info is also on their websites)

Soon as I have heard back my Unison Office I will post their reply, I would strongly recommend anyone else in the same position check to see how striking will affect redundancy payments.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrabble View Post
    I dont know if people are aware of this.... and at the moment I am trying to get confirmation from my Unison Branch, but staff facing redundancy may lose 1 years redundancy pay if they go ahead with strike action.

My school is closing August 2012 - NUT and ATL have told teachers at my school not to strike as this would affect final redundancy payments (info is also on their websites)

Soon as I have heard back my Unison Office I will post their reply, I would strongly recommend anyone else in the same position check to see how striking will affect redundancy payments.
    From what I've read redundancy is calculated based upon the number of full years worked. So if you've worked 10 years and 11 months, that's 10 years. Strike days don't count towards that total. So if you've worked 11 years and 1 day and had 2 strike days in that time, then you've actually worked 10 years, 11 months and 29 days and get 10 years pay, not 11.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrabble View Post

There are a few groups that shouldn't strike. Those within (I think) 3 years of retiring, anyone about to go on maternity leave shouldn't as it will effect them hugely. There are others, such as those in redundancy proceedings, but I can't remember fully.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a thought, and I'm not sure whether anybody has mentioned this as the thread has now entered its 18th page, but as the schools are likely to be shut as the majority (all?) the teaching unions have decided to strike, will my striking as a technician not just shoot myself in the foot? I would be throwing away a perfect opportunity to get a lot done that would actually benefit me more than anybody else. The school is closed so the Unions have made their point, and I can get on with doing a lot of work in a day with no teachers or students to worry about.

Thank Post
    I'm glad they've chosen a Wednesday. I work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'd have to bill the unions for my loss of earnings if they'd chosen either of my working days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    I'm glad they've chosen a Wednesday. I work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'd have to bill the unions for my loss of earnings if they'd chosen either of my working days.
    ??? Why

Thank Post
    Our place. Only Yr11 are in (due to mocks) but we are offering baby sitting aswell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    ??? Why
    I only get paid for the days that I'm in school. If I'm not in, I don't get paid. No teachers = no school open = no pay for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    If you were due to be in but couldn't be due to the head making the decision to close the school on the grounds of not having enough staff etc... you were available for work and the school would have to pay you as normal.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    will my striking as a technician not just shoot myself in the foot? I would be throwing away a perfect opportunity to get a lot done that would actually benefit me more than anybody else. The school is closed so the Unions have made their point, and I can get on with doing a lot of work in a day with no teachers or students to worry about.
    I'm taking full advantage of the day to get some work done!

The thing which bothers me about the strike is that Unison has 1.3 million members.

Only 196,000 bothered to vote, despite having the paperwork sent to you and pre-paid envelopes to return the vote. All you had to do was put a cross in the right box, stick it in the envelope and pop it in a post back.

Out of that 149,000 voted yes, I wonder how many were swayed by the mistruths portrayed in the literature they sent out.

Yes, that may be 76%, but why didn't the majority vote? Are they happy with the status quo?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    I only get paid for the days that I'm in school. If I'm not in, I don't get paid. No teachers = no school open = no pay for me.
    Generaly you should still get paid in the event of 'forced closure', unless you're self employed.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=TechMonkey;757953]There are a few groups that shouldn't strike. Those within (I think) 3 years of retiring, <snip> QUOTE]

Does this include voluntary early retirement?

Trouble is, these days, I'd do most anything (legal) for a day off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    The thing which bothers me about the strike is that Unison has 1.3 million members.

Only 196,000 bothered to vote, despite having the paperwork sent to you and pre-paid envelopes to return the vote. All you had to do was put a cross in the right box, stick it in the envelope and pop it in a post back.

Out of that 149,000 voted yes, I wonder how many were swayed by the mistruths portrayed in the literature they sent out.

Yes, that may be 76%, but why didn't the majority vote? Are they happy with the status quo?
    This may be a sweeping generalisation, but I don't think it's an enormous logical leap to say that most of those who wanted to strike would be fired up enough to complete the form and return it, so you have the majority of the Yes camp registering their sentiment. For those who don't want to strike, or are indifferent (and by rights should spoil their ballot) it's just one more unimportant job on a long list of stuff that needs doing round the house and so it never gets done, and only a minority of the No camp ever register a vote. I'm not saying it's specific to Unison, I think it's an unavoidable fact of human nature and the way we prioritise.

It has been getting a bit tiresome reading about union after union talk about "resounding message" and "overwhelming agreement" etc. on 30% turnouts though. It cheapens any vote where there actually is massive support for the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Our place. Only Yr11 are in (due to mocks) but we are offering baby sitting aswell.
    Same here afaik. Interestingly most of our teaching staff are off (about 80% are in NASUWT here, and nicely militant thanks to disputes past) but not a single support staff member is off as far as I'm aware - and most of us have discussed it openly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread