+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New 'Teach' advert in General; Teachers Wages WITHOUT Management Points Newly qualified teacher A newly qualified teacher (NQT) can expect to start on a salary ...
    Thank Post

Re: New 'Teach' advert

Teachers Wages WITHOUT Management Points

Newly qualified teacher

A newly qualified teacher (NQT) can expect to start on a salary of at least:

£20,133 outside London
    £24,168 in inner London

Experienced teacher

The scale for good, experienced classroom teachers who have ‘crossed the threshold’ rises to:

£34,281 outside London
    £41,004 in inner London

So an Advanced Skills Teacher and Head Of Department will get more, Assistant Heads get even more around from around £48K to £55K

And they complain that they are underpaid..... and they also get Key Worker Benifits which we do not get.. like cheap houses in London...

Plus if they do dinner duty they get paid for it...

http://www.tda.gov.uk/upload/resourc...r_salaries.pdf

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Aww the poor underpaid teachers... bring out the violins

Thank Post

@ the_apprentice

Just as there are teachers that 'go the extra mile' for their students (and some that dont) there are technicians that do too (and some that dont).

Bear in mind that - just as you get the 'same silly questions' from your students day after day, we get the 'same silly questions' from teachers - day after day.

Most - probably all of us, do not have 'a budget' for training and therefore will never get any. Most of us - are using our own time to keep our skills updated. There are no managment points and no ladder to climb.

Me - I have been working six days a week in this summer break 8 - 6 and on the odd occasion till 9. As of monday my day starts at 7:30 and will end around 5:30 ish. Then its time to read, learn and study. The school website I also update in my own time............

Lunch? When do you think teaching staff have the time to come and see us about a problem they have.......

I'm b**dy lucky. most of the staff in my school appreciate what me and my team do for them and July & Christmas sees a few bottles of wine come our way.

As technicians we forget that as we have to update our skills, so do the staff members. You will see on this board questions about the latest versions of MS Office and various software packages. We all forget that as we are pushed to install (mostly by teachers who think they need the lastest and greatest package) the most up to date piece of software that there are other staff members struggling to keep up too.

There is only one thing I would change though....

Often we try to give a training session for staff on the basics. Most staff do not have the time / cant be bothered. Yet when it doesnt work in the the way they think it should, they will spend enough time moaning about it!

To sum up:-

1) It's tough at the top - yeah, well its just as tough at the bottom cos the sh*t falls farther.

2) Smile and say 'hello' from time to time - we are not second class citizens and like you we have good / bad / and bl**dy frustrating days too!

3) Jaffa cakes - 'nuff said

4) We like teachers too - and yes we will go that 'extra mile' to help - but not if you look down your nose!

5) It would be nice for you to come and say 'hello' from time to time without the next line starting with 'It doesnt work' or 'My home computer' or 'When can you do'

6) If the technical team offer some training take it - its okay to say 'nope, I dont get it. can we do that again - this time in short simple words?'

7) When It does work, TELL US!!! we like to hear of the good bits as well as the bad.

Lastly

MOST IMPORTANT - over the next few days do not ask blindly if your support team had a good holiday....... That really p*sses us off.

Thank Post

@daveyboy

I do appreciate all the points you make in your post.

In reply to your summing up:-

1) It's tough at the top -
    wouldn't know, nowhere near there

2) Smile and say 'hello' from time to time - we are not second class citizens and like you we have good / bad / and bl**dy frustrating days too! -
    majority of my best mates are the cleaners, caretakers and office staff. Both my mum and dad had very low paid manual/office jobs

3) Jaffa cakes - 'nuff said -
    totally agree

4) We like teachers too - and yes we will go that 'extra mile' to help - but not if you look down your nose! -
    most of the time I'm on the floor on bended knee looking up and begging for help

5) It would be nice for you to come and say 'hello' from time to time without the next line starting with 'It doesnt work' or 'My home computer' or 'When can you do' -
    spend plenty of time doing this and risk getting told off by hod

6) If the technical team offer some training take it - its okay to say 'nope, I dont get it. can we do that again - this time in short simple words?' -
    we don't have in house tech support so the ict staff such as myself spend their time training staff as well - great questions including 'how do you do a table' and 'I can't get my bullet points to work'

7) When It does work, TELL US!!! we like to hear of the good bits as well as the bad.
    - always do, as I don't want anyone wasting their time trying to fix a problem that's already been solved

I think if we were sitting having a real chat, you'd see that I'm actually a nice person

Thank Post

I think it's time to fraw a line under this!

*knock* Hello, mods!.....

Thank Post

most of the time I'm on the floor on bended knee looking up and begging for help
    You sure you havent been a tech in a previous life?

Thank Post

I agree with StewartKnight.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Me too, I was starting to nod off...

Thank Post

Line drawn - Thanks for the insight

__________________________________________________ ___________

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Me too, I was starting to nod off...
    Err why ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In interest of fairness, I have cross-posted this on the tes/edugeek forums as well.

There are bad teachers just as there is bad ict support staff just as there is bad lsa's.

As been said it is having a view of other peoples jobs now why this thread started quite light hearted it has started to turn into teacher bashing.

There are assumptions on both sides. My own view is teachers work hard just as much as ict support staff. I also would like it if my job required me to leave it when I left the door at what ever time I leave but just like teachers I am up to silly hours getting work done.

But then I feel ashamed that amount of bashing that goes on in here (which is why I try and calm it down but missed this thread) and on the TES forum. We are all when it comes to it professionals.

Pay angle is always going to come up. Do I think teachers get paid to much no I just think that other professional roles with in the schools don't get paid enough do I think there should be difference between a network manager and teacher pay no as I feel that they do a comparable job and work just as hard as each other.

When it comes to it both job roles are professional job roles and the school will not run without either just as a school will not run with out lsa, caretakers and all other staff.

It is case of making sure we understand each other’s roles...

Russell

Thank Post

Gather round everyone, techies & teachers alike. Sounds like we all need a big group hug. 8O

Now, think happy calming happy thoughts...

Ooo, fluffy kittens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sorry, far too busy sorting out their problems for a group hug! :twisted:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hug from a teacher - are you serious? They'd need another management point to do that, wouldn't they?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hey hey calm down people in words of my dad

"both start behaving or I will bash both your heads together..."

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast