+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Writing in a straight line on a smart board in General; We have a smart board at our school that has an issue when writing on it. The teacher displays a ...

Thank Post

Writing in a straight line on a smart board

We have a smart board at our school that has an issue when writing on it. The teacher displays a paper with missing lines. When filling in the lines it works fine until you get to the center of the board and then the writing starts to sag about a half inch below where the pen contact is. Once you pass that point it is fine again. does anyone think changing to a fine 20 point orient will fix this or is the board bad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adjust the screws on the bottom of the smartboard (under the pen tray), that can help with this symptom. Also check the board isn't screwed into metal walls or anything else that may act as a transmitter/conductor as they tend to pick up interference easily.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    failing that, run a board diagnostic test, it asks you to draw lines over the board and email the result to smart. we done that on one and got a reply saying a new smartboard will be sent to replace it (under warranty of course).

Thank Post
    how you get the diags up? I've got a couple of boards still under warranty which could do with their faultiness being proved once and for all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    how you get the diags up? I've got a couple of boards still under warranty which could do with their faultiness being proved once and for all.
    It should be (can't remember off the top of my head!) in c:\prog files\smart tech\smart product drivers\edgediagnostic.exe
    that should run, ask you to trace a line around the board, then ask for you to send the email with various info.

Thank Post
    I've had 2 boards go like this in the last 2 months, started getting a weird jump in the exact middle of the board.
    This can be partially fixed by increasing to the 20 point calibration, but it's likely a temporary fix. I found it drifted back over time, so you end up recalibrating every 30-60 minutes.

To test what the problem is:

Recalibrate the board on 20 point, then get a long ruler, and draw grid lines across the board. I will bet, that you will find a point on the bottom right corner that's completely fubar. This is what causes that jump in the middle. This can either be a result of wear on the IWB surface itself, or a fault with the control board on the back (the little grey box with the USB lead and the reset button.)

If in warranty just call SMART and they'll deal with it. If it's not, then first try swapping the control board with an identical model of IWB, and see if that fixes the issue.
    If it does, you can buy a new control board for about £100 ish.
    If the problem persists after replacing that control board, then chances are the surface of your IWB has gone, and your looking at a new whiteboard.

Thank Post

writing in a straight line

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Adjust the screws on the bottom of the smartboard (under the pen tray), that can help with this symptom. Also check the board isn't screwed into metal walls or anything else that may act as a transmitter/conductor as they tend to pick up interference easily.
    I have been thru all of that I had that problem with another board. I did use the 20 point calibration and got the issue reduced to an area in the upper right corner about 3" wide by 5" long. It has at least made the board useable again for the teacher. Our tech department is getting a control board to use as a tester. We will see if that does anything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread